Homebrew GBA emulator for the ... DS?

AMPonzi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Isn't the GBA port faster than the NDS port? I remember reading that somewhere... and nix the condescending attitude and provide facts, not entries from the Joe Buck memorial fan club insults list.

EDIT: Unless the reasoning is more the GBA's lesser seek time according to Wikipedia's entry on Nintendo DS.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Could be a factor, but I think it was something to do with the hardware each slot could access, as well as the need for RAM and stuff

edit: by RAM i mean whatever you load the game onto

ceraphis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bleeding-edge developments may be under way...

*ominous music*

ohmy.gif

HellShade

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I agree with Urza, asking for GBA Emulation and GBA Running are two different questions. Just because it's the same answer doesn't mean it's the same general question.

If I asked you if you would kill your parents, the answer would probably be no.

If I asked you if you would eat raw cow intestines, the answer would still probably be no. Does that make the two questions similar?

No.

GBA from slot-1 implies running the GBA code from slot-1 using DS's slot-2 hardware. GBA Emulation is well.... emulation.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
With all due respect to mithrilfox, and my sympathy for his manners and dedication, I can't get over the fact that his first computer was a Commodore 64 while mine was a ZX Spectrum 48K.
Because of that we shall remain sworn enemies, even though nowadays we share a common interest for the DS homebrew scene.
I would recommend him to quit looking for an inexistent GBA emulator and redeem himself by downloading ZXDS and catch up with all the 8-bit goodness that he missed in the 80's !!!
wink.gif

Any recommendations for games?

And, BTW, I wasn't that dedicated to the Commodore
wink.gif
. Loved the Atari and then my NES.

Actually I have a few games that I'm dying to play and beat them once and for all (after all it's been 15+ years and I still didn't finish most of them ), and that's because I'm so busy playing Wii and DS games (MP3 and PW2 right now) that I barely have the time to even check the weather channel these days !!
But there is a very good reason to re-play those classics : They look and play better than ever on the DS !!
The small and yet detailed screen makes for crispy and detailed graphics that on today's TV's would look real bad.
And I used to play on the trusty rubber keyboard ( Joystick were real cheap and fragile at the time ), but now with a good emulator it's possible to remap any key presses to a DS button, making it the ultimate controller !!!
I can honestly say, it's better than the real thing has ever been.
Games that you should try ( and I should find the time to play ) are :

- Rex part 1,part 2
- Robocop (the 128K version, currently only supported by ZXDS)
- Myth
- Anarchy
- Action Force II
- Joe Blade 3

And some of the greatest text adventure games like The hobbit .
If I ever get stranded on a desert Island the only things I will ever need are my DS, my G6real and a few thousands Speccy games on it.......
wink.gif

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
With all due respect to mithrilfox, and my sympathy for his manners and dedication, I can't get over the fact that his first computer was a Commodore 64 while mine was a ZX Spectrum 48K.
Because of that we shall remain sworn enemies, even though nowadays we share a common interest for the DS homebrew scene.
I would recommend him to quit looking for an inexistent GBA emulator and redeem himself by downloading ZXDS and catch up with all the 8-bit goodness that he missed in the 80's !!!
wink.gif

wink.gif

Actually I have a few games that I'm dying to play and beat them once and for all (after all it's been 15+ years and I still didn't finish most of them ), and that's because I'm so busy playing Wii and DS games (MP3 and PW2 right now) that I barely have the time to even check the weather channel these days !!
But there is a very good reason to re-play those classics : They look and play better than ever on the DS !!
The small and yet detailed screen makes for crispy and detailed graphics that on today's TV's would look real bad.
And I used to play on the trusty rubber keyboard ( Joystick were real cheap and fragile at the time ), but now with a good emulator it's possible to remap any key presses to a DS button, making it the ultimate controller !!!

- Rex part 1,part 2
- Myth
- Anarchy
- Action Force II
- Joe Blade 3

If I ever get stranded on a desert Island the only things I will ever need are my DS, my G6real and a few thousands Speccy games on it.......
wink.gif
I recommend this only on the PSP. It's just better suited for it.
yaypsp.gif

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
wink.gif

wink.gif

- Rex part 1,part 2
- Myth
- Anarchy
- Action Force II
- Joe Blade 3

wink.gif
I recommend this only on the PSP. It's just better suited for it.
yaypsp.gif

"You sir, are an idiot !"
I'm sure I've read this quote somewhere.
Not for anything really, but you are soooo wrong , under every aspect.
If you want to start an argument , there is absolutely zero chance that you could win.
But just to give you a few points :

- Spectrum games are heavily keyboard based, even to make them start usually you have to press a series of keystrokes in order to select the controls and get started, and quite a few games don't even support a joystick, therefore the *only way* to emulate this on an handled in a satisfying way is trough the touch screen of the DS . Accept no substitute , it's the same like playing ScummVM on a PSP with the d-pad and playing ScummVMDS with a stylus.
Lucas arts games do look better on the PSP because of the higher resolution, but play terrobly wrong because of the input.
Spectrum games on the other hand, look infinitely better on the DS because of 1:1 resolution (256x192 if you don't know ) and they fill the whole screen without being stretched or resized.
If you try to keep 1:1 resolution on the PSP you get merely a little square in the center of the screen, and if you attempt to stretch the image you get an horribly deformed image which is completely unacceptable due to the nature of the 8bit Spectrum graphics that most of the times uses pixelated layers in order to simultate a multicolor effect.
So basically I would never play Spectrum games on a PSP, not even if I would get paid for it !!!

So why would the PSP better suited for, let alone the quality of the emulator itself which cannot even compare to ZXDS ?
Go ahead,speak up, but be warned that I'll be ready to flame you on the spot, I am very much into Spectrum emulation since the first time I've seen an emulator running on a PC a long time ago, and I'm almost offended by your comment...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/8tRQnqT