Hacking Gateway 3DS and CFW

atrocious123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
^ these are the same 2 guides i used, works flawlessly. +1

after both of those guides you'll have A9LH completely installed and it will automatically boot into Gateway. (You can change what boots by default and what button combinations open which app through "boot_config.ini")

i cant stress the first part any more either, DONT USE GW-A9LH. You can boot Gateway through a "normal" A9LH installation that is much safer and nearly guarantees you dont lose your hacks or brick after complete install.

also as a side note: Make sure to create and store backups of your (9.2 SysNAND - before A9LH), (11.0 EmuNAND), and OTP.bin. The Plailect guide will have you do all of this but just make sure you have them. Store them on Google Drive or something so you dont accidentally get rid of the files.

So after you done all that, can i know how you use your gateway?

Is the gateway emunand or sysnand and do you install cias to the gateway nan?
Cause currently i'm on O3DS sysnand 9.2 and GW emunand 10.7 and i'm having trouble installing new cias onto the GW emunand and have to use the qr code downloader etc.

Do you install the cia to your luma cfw now and only use the GW card for 3ds games?

Sorry for so many questions! Thinking of upgrading soon to al9h but there seems to be a lot of risk and confusion for me.

Edit: would you guys recommend where i should start in the plailect guide? Part 2 backup sysnand onwards and follow all the way through?
Part 4 says if i have emunand i can start from there but that would be a gateway emunand right and i think it wouldn't work? i'm not sure.

Last edited by atrocious123,

jscjml

Monster Hunter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So after you done all that, can i know how you use your gateway?

Is the gateway emunand or sysnand and do you install cias to the gateway nan?
Cause currently i'm on O3DS sysnand 9.2 and GW emunand 10.7 and i'm having trouble installing new cias onto the GW emunand and have to use the qr code downloader etc.

Do you install the cia to your luma cfw now and only use the GW card for 3ds games?

Sorry for so many questions! Thinking of upgrading soon to al9h but there seems to be a lot of risk and confusion for me.

Edit: would you guys recommend where i should start in the plailect guide? Part 2 backup sysnand onwards and follow all the way through?
Part 4 says if i have emunand i can start from there but that would be a gateway emunand right and i think it wouldn't work? i'm not sure.

After setting both of those guides up, if i turn on my console and hold no buttons down, it will start Gateway.
If i turn my console on and hold L, it boots Luma3DS CFW.

Regarding the EmuNAND/SysNAND thing, personally after installing A9LH i formatted my SD and removed EmuNAND and just run solely on 11.0 SysNAND with A9LH booting a CFW (or Gateway) through SysNAND. No worries here though as with A9LH i can boot Hourglass to restore a NAND backup at will (it boots before the actual console). You still have the option to use EmuNAND if you so wish though.
Yes, i install all .cia's on my SysNAND now.
I sometimes have problems installing .cia's on GW, and have to resort to using Luma3DS to install them (Monster Hunter Generations demo comes to mind here, on Gateway i cannot install it but with Luma3DS i can)

If you already have an EmuNAND setup you can start from Step 4, although i would recommend reading the whole guide through atleast once before starting anything.
And yes, Gateway EmuNAND = RedNAND. They are the same thing. Just read everything first though.

Last edited by jscjml,

atrocious123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Guys, currently i have CTRBootmanager set up to autoboot so i'm not sure what should i do now to access back my HBL.
Need some clarifications!

jscjml

Monster Hunter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: atrocious123

atrocious123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Try this out, install it with FBI or something.
https://github.com/yellows8/hblauncher_loader/releases

I dont know if it has full compatibility with Gateway though.

Thanks man, i'll give it a try later. I stopped the ctrbootmanager from autobooting so i can now select gateway / hbl in the boot menu but will it affect anything since i'm following the plailect guide?
For now, i am gonna use Emunand9 and get my sysNAND just to be safe! (And then maybe move on to part 4. But if i want Luma i should do part 3 too? i'm really not sure. So much to read and so confusing sometimes, gahhh.

Appreciate your replies though!

atrocious123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
If you follow through and finish Step 5 you will have Luma installed also, its part of that section.

Alright, thanks! Just a quick question regarding the Emunand in part 2 of the guide.
It says to Copy and merge the 3ds folder from the EmuNAND9 zip to root of your SD card
But there are many other files including Launcher.dat that i got from the zip so i am not sure what files i need to correctly launch Emunand9..

Sorry to bother you!

Edit: nvm, it seems that the other files are for more advanced purpose after you installed a9lh and stuff. Will just use the HBL files!

jscjml

Monster Hunter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, thanks! Just a quick question regarding the Emunand in part 2 of the guide.
It says to Copy and merge the 3ds folder from the EmuNAND9 zip to root of your SD card
But there are many other files including Launcher.dat that i got from the zip so i am not sure what files i need to correctly launch Emunand9..

Sorry to bother you!

I think you only need Emunand9.dat and the .3dsx to actually run the program, but just to be safe i would follow the guide and just overwrite anything. Your old Launcher.dat is probably a Gateway one and you wont be needing it for that section.

Edit: If and whenever you need to access Gateway during the guide, you can simply just overwrite the Launcher.dat with the one provided by them.

Last edited by jscjml,
Reactions: atrocious123

atrocious123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
@jscjml now i'm about to start at part 4: OTP. Since my gw emunand/RedNAND is already unlinked, means i've already formatted sysNAND so i should also format my emunand/RedNAND twice right?
*Please don't brick
Edit: BTW, do i update my gw emunand to 11.0?

jscjml

Monster Hunter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, use Tinyformat and format your EmuNAND/RedNAND twice before starting.

Just start Gateway and do a system update in System Settings->Other. Make sure you are on EmuNAND first though.

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We don't know what gateway could be planning, but even now if you've installed gw-a9lh you could always just install a fresh, non-a9lh NAND backup and all will be fine.

Yes we do:
GATEWAY3DS.COM said:
http://www.gateway-3ds.com/gateway-4-0b-private-beta-2/
http://www.gateway-3ds.com/private-beta-program/

UPDATE: "Due to popular demand we implemented a ‘arm9loaderhax.bin‘ file that can be used with existing (non-GW) A9LH installs."
And if that's not good enough just check out their Private Beta Program link. Pretty much says it all...

Ok, gonna get off your thread... I do apologize.

You're doing better than I am!!! Keep it up! :yay3ds:

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes we do:

And if that's not good enough just check out their Private Beta Program link. Pretty much says it all...

Ok, gonna get off your thread... I do apologize.

You're doing better than I am!!! Keep it up! :yay3ds:
Yeah, see that's a beta. I'm sure they weren't originally intending to release a arm9loaderhax.bin, but everyone hounded them up the ass for it and it happened. Anything in a beta is subject to change, and for all we know Gateway can throw a curveball and make their A9LH implementation you know, not shitty.

MadButch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I converted all my GW 3ds games to cia, including all save games.
Then just ordered a 64GB SD card for 20 bucks, and installed them all (about 30).

Must say... I'm loving this a lot more then the old double boot stuff :)

I guess the GW card is still nice to be able to just throw a 3ds file on there and try it out...

Reactions: Quantumcat

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Reecey following Plailect's guide doesn't mean not using Gateway anymore. You get best of both worlds, can autoboot Gateway and still get into Luma, Decrypt9, etc etc. Plus it is safe to install. If you use Gateways method your chances of brick are dozens of times higher, plus you don't get the benefit of a9lh which is being able to restore your NAND without a hardmod. You go through buckets of risk JUST to be faster at booting, no other benefit. Plus, Gateway might stop updating at some point, leaving you in the uncomfortable situation of not being able to upgrade your emuNAND, but not being able to go back to a legit setup either. And not to mention if your Gateway card dies in the future (it's only fragile electronics), your 3DS becomes completely unusable, you won't even be able to turn it on.
This isn't necessarily true. For one, he does get the benefit of restoring his NAND without a hardmod, and you CAN leave Gateway's setup. Also if his Gateway cart dies in the future, he can still use the NAND restore. Everyone is able to use it, because it's a free tool. Any benefit that you have from Gateway's tools from the Gateway menu is free and accessible with or without a cart.
I'm not attempting to start a fight or convince anyone to use Gateway, I just wanted to clear up that common misconception.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
This isn't necessarily true. For one, he does get the benefit of restoring his NAND without a hardmod, and you CAN leave Gateway's setup. Also if his Gateway cart dies in the future, he can still use the NAND restore. Everyone is able to use it, because it's a free tool. Any benefit that you have from Gateway's tools from the Gateway menu is free and accessible with or without a cart.
I'm not attempting to start a fight or convince anyone to use Gateway, I just wanted to clear up that common misconception.
I thought Gateway bricked you when restoring NAND backups? Or was that only the first beta? And even if you can restore a backup, if lose your backup then you really would be locked to Gateway. If Gateway doesn't brick you on restore, thanks for sharing because I had that misconception!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Click on your profile pic in the top right corner, and you'll get the profile menu popup, with... +2