Gamers are "ready" for $70 games, says Take-Two CEO

2020-07-02-image-40.jpg

The latest gaming generation has introduced a number of features, but with all the new and shiny things comes a higher price tag. Some AAA game publishers have used this new generation as a springboard to increase the prices of games from $60 to $70. One of the companies leading the charge is Take-Two, who released NBA 2K21 for $70 on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. During a conference call that took place earlier this week, Take-Two's CEO Strauss Zelnick reiterated the point of the price increase for major games going forward, saying, "our review was that we're offering an array of extraordinary experiences, lots of replayability, and the last time there was a frontline price increase in the US was 2005/2006, so we think consumers were ready for it."

While Take-Two seems to think that players are ready to accept the new MSRP for games, he also mentioned that the $70 price point won't apply to all future games published by the studio, as they plan to, "make announcements on a title-by-title basis" and that they "want to always deliver more value than what [they] charge."

:arrow: Source: Morgan Stanley Technology Media & Telecom Conference (transcribed by VGC)

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just scored loose Lets Go Pikachu and Pokemon Shield for $50

Even if either one of them are shit, or both, I'll re-coup just fine...

been refusing to pay more than this since I hear mixed things about em but the expectations wil[l be low

TheGodMauro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
We'll see how this effects the gaming landscape, because Take Two can implement this whenever they want since they are one of the giants of the industry, and history shows that the rest will follow if the price increase translates into increased revenue. It will suck, but I'll not be surprised if 70$ becomes the new standard going forward.

qqq1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would never buy sports games like that anyway but I'll just wait a year till they're 80% or so off on steam.

feauxtiger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pssh. I think the future is stuff like GamePass. Let me pay you directly and have access to a large catalog. Would these $70 games be done so well that we wouldn't need updates? I'd hate to pay $70 for something they have to keep patching to make worth playing.

Pl4yst4tionRox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I totally agree that 70 .00 for a sports game as absurd. What needs to happen is some one needs to hit Strauss Zelnick (CEO) over the head and when he comes to have him "Take-Two" advils if he thinks people are ready to spend that type of money alone for a game without any extras such as digital content. I would pay the extra 10 for a non sports AAA game. With the way that the world is today I just feel that people are just trying to take advantage of the situation.

ZeroFX

why?
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
— Said Take two, one of the most money hungry companies out there.

Yeah yeah, when milking gta v isn't enough and the profitability of their shitty basketball games is at risk...

Reactions: Bladexdsl

dude1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
As a Canadian I felt screwed when our $60 games became 80 (The exchange rates) i’ve seen some things occasionally go to 90 or 100
If the US adopts a $70 game then our average is going to be 100 to 120

All this does is encourage people to sail the high seas

it’s ridiculous, companies are slow to Match inflation when our dollar Is on par or Even worse when it was has been than the US dollar, but whenever it’s lower they are really quick at adjusting prices up, Sometimes beyond exchange rate.
Throw in that my province has a 13% tax, and I live right next-door to Montana with 0% sales tax, pre-pandemic I was buying everything down there not just games, sometimes it’s still cheaper for me to buy down there re-ship to myself from a forwarding company where I keep a mailbox.

the

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe the morons who pay full price for each yearly itteration of a sports title are *ready* for $70 games... but I for one am still resistant to the existing pricing model; I wait for price drops on most things, and the only items I pre-order anymore are physical releases of indie titles.

Reactions: Sono and 1c4rus

Kadji

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
70$ for a AAA Game that was many years in Development and shows dedication from the dev team? Ok, take my money.
Examples would be the GTA series, Red Dead Redemption, most games from Nintendo (especially Smash Ultimate comes to mind).

I am also fine with DLC if it is priced appropriately and is added at a later date (F*ck Day 1 DLC...)

But 70$ as the new baseline price? Suggested by greedy Take-Two? For their DLC filled Sport games?
F*CK OFF!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't know that crunch is necessarily a symptom of bad development or contributor to high prices, quite the opposite in fact if staff costs are going to be a primary concern for your company. It is one of the many reasons I don't develop games for a living but basic big book of management says less time taken, less cost up until the point where you have to start paying them more (see Gantt charts and optimisation based on them).

That said yeah a bit of safe coding type methods combined with finding someone that knows about writing and developing characters/story and a bit of game theory... that would solve many a sales issue.
People who hate crunch time are not involved in any creative endeavours, or they're not very productive. You remove crunch, you get Duke Nukem Forever.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1