Take-Two Interactive acquires Zynga in record-breaking $12.7 billion deal

Zynga.svg.png

Take-Two Interactive, the publisher of the Grand Theft Auto and Red Dead Redemption series, has announced today it acquired developer Zynga, most well-known for FarmVille and Words with Friends. Take-Two has purchased the Zynga stock at a 64% premium, for a deal worth approximately $12.7 billion, the largest in the history of the videogame industry. Take-Two will acquire Zynga's portfolio of mobile games, and merge its mobile division into Zynga, which will be lead by Zynga CEO Frank Gibeau and president of publishing Bernard Kim.

"We are thrilled to announce our transformative transaction with Zynga, which significantly diversifies our business and establishes our leadership position in mobile, the fastest growing segment of the interactive entertainment industry," said Take-Two CEO and chairman Strauss Zelnick.

:arrow: Source

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All that money and still no GTA 6? I can’t wait for them to somehow ruin this company like they did Rockstar
There is a theory that they are probably never going to come out with 6 at this point because they are afraid in doing so they might get ripped apart by "cancel culture" folk that will get overly offended by any of the jokes the game might have. At least that is the rumor mill I am hearing in regards to that.

Of course I also think it could be just them going the TF2 route and just milking the online service as much as humanly possible until it starts to hurt them in the end.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
There is a theory that they are probably never going to come out with 6 at this point because they are afraid in doing so they might get ripped apart by "cancel culture" folk that will get overly offended by any of the jokes the game might have. At least that is the rumor mill I am hearing in regards to that.

Of course I also think it could be just them going the TF2 route and just milking the online service as much as humanly possible until it starts to hurt them in the end.
NGL, that theory would only hold up if they didn't recently add more content to GTA Online that would be seen as offensive. I don't think that would be the case and I honestly think everyone expects GTA to have offensive material in it.
I think the real reason is just wanting to milk GTA Online and not wanting to break it off from GTA 5 because they can pretty much double dip that way. You need to buy GTA 5 for Online and Online is full of microtransactions. I am pretty sure they are more worried that people might not be willing to buy 6 since they would obviously have to carry Online over to it and then they run the risk of lowering the price of 5 and not being able to milk people as much. This could have been avoided if Online was a separate game from the start but it would have been doubtful that they could milk it as much that way.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do you think they pointed a gun at the ceo's head and say sign or die? i wouldn't be caught dead signing a contract with take 2 in fact I'll wipe my dirty butt with the contract then hand it backthen for icing on the proverbial cake tell them to go f- themselves

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BREAKING NEWS: Dead company buys other dead company for needlessly large amount of money as civilians pass popcorn and make bets on how long it takes before the move backfires horribly.
I don't understand why the mods of these forums allow replies like this. Unnecessarily disgusting.

On topic though. Finally we're getting a Farmville remaster!
tbf I don't understand why such comments are allowed either but I just kind of let the funny occur

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I scoured Zynga's entire catalog of games from there own web page.... I see nothing worth that much money. They must have some patents on something that makes it worth more than what I can see.

TheGodMauro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Zynga has blown up in revenue these last couple of years, they'll make that money back in no time. People need to remember how huge the mobile market is.

Now, why the hell do people choose to spend their time and money playing really shitty games is the real question here, but hey, to each their own. This purchase is unlikely to affect other developments within the studios under 2K, I think it's more like they just wanted to get into the mobile space.

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remember this, this could end being the equivalent of Konami's pachinko machines.

Rockstar has lost a lot of talent behind their best games. I'm suspicious that GTA 6 will not be up to standards and if that happens it's all over for them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.acepcs.com/products/wizbox-g-mini-pc-amd-r7-7735hs lol wizbox