Hacking Gamecube to Classic Controller Converter 2 questions

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
F-Zero GX and Metroid Prime use the analog shoulder buttons. In F-Zero GX the more you press R or L the farther you would slide to the right or left. In Metroid Prime it didn't really do anything but on-screen it would make a targeting reticule kind of "fade in" the more you pressed R.

Flomsat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok I'm back and I have played around with the MayFlash adapter for about 10 min so these are my thoughts so far.

The build quality is pretty good, the wire feels durable and the nunchuck end seems much like what you would get on a standard official bit of kit. The casing itself that houses the gamecube port does feel a little light weight and cheap but then again I did only pay about £15 for it. The port also doesn't feel quite as rugged, you don't get that same clicky feel when you plug in the controller like what you feel on either the GC or the Wii ports, it does click into place so it isn't loose, but it's just not quite the same feel as official.

Actually using it with the Wii is a very straight forward and easy plug in and play, the Wii registers it straight away to start navigating the menu. I'll upload some photos of the device along with the back packet which explains the button control which actually works really well. Basically to get around the lack of + or - buttons it uses the Start button with different presses. Simply pressing the button will be like a normal start button in game, in other words the + button, a quick double tap of the Start button will trigger the - button, then holding the Start button will activate the Home button. It all works really well and allows full functionality very easily with the limited buttons.

Now, what we are all looking for in this, how does it play smash? I played about 5 matches of Brawl with my brother (since I’m pretty sure Classic Controller don’t work with GC games) and I found it worked perfectly! I haven’t played Brawl in a while (Not since we discovered Project M ;D) but from the matches I did play, I would not have even known that my pad wasn’t directly connected to the console. No latency or lag from what I experienced and I was able to play just as I would normally, even with a fast character like fox ;).

Overall I’d say this is a really solid buy, also perhaps qwertymodo could take some of the features using the Start button (I don’t know if there are any legal boundaries to this so don’t quote me on that :S) if he would rather not use Button combinations. So anyone looking for a way to play Wii/U games using a GC controller emulated to be a CC then this would be your best option for now until qwertymodo can get his adapters up and shipping. I currently don’t actually own a WiiU as such so unfortunately I can’t test it out on that console, but if any of my friends do decide to get one then I will be able to get on an try it out :).

Now for the Photos
IMG_20130515_192845.jpg
Here is the adapter

IMG_20130515_192851.jpg
Then again overhead
IMG_20130515_192938.jpg
The two ends so gamecube port and Nunchuck connector
IMG_20130515_193015.jpg
The Turbo button which I actually completely forgot about when I was playing so I haven't tried that out yet.
IMG_20130515_193050.jpg
>>EDIT Here is a link to the image since it doesn't always appear for some reason (http://postimg.org/image/glmfaryoh/full/)<< And then this is the back of the packet explaining a few things about the controls an such, not sure why I took this but It's here so I might aswell upload it :)
Hope this info has helped out ^_^

P.S. If I don't reply for the next few days, Google I/O started today and I've been caught up in watching livestreams for hours on end since it begun :P so that'll be the reason. Also I CBA to proof read this so excuse any spelling errors

I just got one of these too and I DO have a Wii U.

REVIEW:
Summary: Works with Wii mode on Wii U AND with Wii U games.
Does not work with the latest version of Wii remotes (the ones with the sync button on the outside of the battery cover).
All other versions of the Wii remote (including the Zelda remote motion+ remote) recognise it.
Works with VC games.

Wii Mode:
Works with Wii Mode well. I am able to play Wii games using my GameCube Controller on the Wii U. Great for SSBB or Mario Kart. Recognises the GC controller as a Classic Controller.
Instructions: The Wii remote must be disconnected from the console before plugging in the adapter/controller. THEN press a button on the Wii remote and on the GameCube controller while it is connecting. Should work fine after that.

Wii U games:
Works depending on what version of the Wiimote you have.
The newest remotes (with the sync button on the battery cover) connect but the turbo button flashes constantly, causing random actions constantly.
I was able to use the GC controller on the Wii U menu and in Need for Speed Most Wanted U (I had to change the button configuration in game for the triggers). Unfortunately these are the only games I have that support classic controllers so I can't guarentee the others will work but I think they would.
I had no trouble getting it to work with the Virtual Console so that is good news.

Flomsat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah I thought that too, which is why I haven't untied it, seems really pointless having so much wire on what essentially is a wireless set up :P Tho just one more thing to add that I forgot, I remember you guys chatting about this a while back but the CC has digital top buttons doesn't it? I can't remember the conversation is exactly but didn't you say even tho the CC doesn't have the same style as GC triggers it can still suppport the analog"half way" press of the L and R buttons?

If this is the case then I don't know if this adapter supports that analog part and I can't really think of a way for me to test this so anyone with any ideas please throw them out there and I'll be happy to check if it works :).

I've tested this out on Need for Speed Most Wanted U and it does not effect the rate of acceleration. The Wii U version was designed with the digital input as the only option however so this isn't a very good test.

Flomsat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Does Need for Speed use CC or does it use CC Pro? The interesting thing about the MayFlash is it says it emulates not only the CC but the Pro and also the WiiU Pro controller, not sure how it does this but perhaps it reads some kind of feedback from the WiiMote to tell it which controller to emulate since there is no physical way of telling it which one to be.

After reading this I can only assume that since the CC Pro doesn't have analog trigggers that there is no way of reading the values, I had a quick search since I remember someone possibly saying that even though the Pro doesn't have analog triggers, the code is still in there to be able to actually read these values. But I can't find it so maybe it was just me being a bit too optimistic.
Either way I would imagine that the Wii U Pro controller also doesn't have analog triggers meaning that most games released from here on out (including Smash Bros U) won't be using this particular function which doesn't really bother me so much since that's the only real game I actually WANT to use a GC pad. I can only hope that when they do release it that it doesn't use all 4 top buttons from the CC Pro and WiiU Pro since I can't think of a real practical way of doing this on the GC controller without resorting to button combinations which could be fiddly in tense situations.

The Mayflash adapter does not recognize the GC controller as a Wii U Pro controller as stated on the packaging (I tested on Assassins Creed 3).
It only recognizes it as a Wii Classic controller pro (confirmed in the controller menu of Need for Speed Most Wanted).

PS. The Wii classic controller and the Wii classic controller pro have the same buttons just in a more comfortable layout.
wii_classic_controller_pro7.jpg

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii remote must be disconnected from the console before plugging in the adapter/controller. THEN press a button on the Wii remote and on the GameCube controller while it is connecting. Should work fine after that.
What happens if you first plug the GameCube controller into the adapter, then turn on the wiimote, and lastly plug the adapter into the wiimote?

That is the ONE moderate annoyance with Mayflash adapters - they seem to have a specific way you plug things in. For both of my Mayflash USB adapters (one is PSX the other CC/pro), for 1 controller you plug the adapter in first and then the controller; for 2 controllers you plug the controllers in first and THEN you plug in the adapter.

Flomsat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What happens if you first plug the GameCube controller into the adapter, then turn on the wiimote, and lastly plug the adapter into the wiimote?

I haven't tested it heaps, but I think it just doesn't register that it is there at all, other times it may register the controller stick as moving when it is stationary or do the stupid turbo flashing random button presses making it open the home menu or press 'b' all the time. Once I figured the sequence out i didn't have a problem. It is also best to wait until the game has loaded before trying to connect the Wii remotes. Simply going from the menu to the game sometimes turns the Wii remotes off which can make the mayflash adapter not work when the game starts.

However, for $11 it is certainly worth the trouble if you want to use a GameCube controller on the Wii U.

Flomsat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm, so how does it function on a game like Ass Creed?
The Wii Classic Controller (and hence, the Mayflash GC adapter) is not supported by Assassin's Creed 3.
The Mayflash GC adapter claimed to be "compatible with all games supported bu the Wii classic Controller, Wii classic controller pro and Wii U pro controller."
The Mayflash GC adapter does NOT emulate the Wii U Pro controller, hence cannot be used with Assassin's Creed 3.
(P.S. Off topic - I prefer using the Wii U Gamepad anyway for AC3. The bigger map and easier weapon switch makes it my controller of choice.)

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't tested it heaps, but I think it just doesn't register that it is there at all,
You really should try it though since, like I said, that method works for 2 players on USB adapters with dual connectors and may very well work on that since it only has a single connector port.

other times it may register the controller stick as moving when it is stationary or do the stupid turbo flashing random button presses making it open the home menu or press 'b' all the time.
My two Mayflash USB adapters do the exact same thing, so it would seem this is an inherent characteristic of Mayflash adapters - it's not a recent thing either because my PSX USB adapter is like 7 years old but the CC/pro Mayflash adapter has only existed for like a year.

The Mayflash GC adapter claimed to be "compatible with all games supported bu the Wii classic Controller, Wii classic controller pro and Wii U pro controller."
The Mayflash GC adapter does NOT emulate the Wii U Pro controller, hence cannot be used with Assassin's Creed 3.
Interestingly enough, their website says it supports the Wii U Pro controller as well though I could have sworn it didn't use to say that. It may be a wise idea to contact them and let them know of this:
http://www.mayflash.com/contact/

The thing is, there shouldn't be any technical way for a Wiimote attachment to work as a Pro controller anyway, so I wonder where Mayflash got the idea that it would work...

bezem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't tested it heaps, but I think it just doesn't register that it is there at all, other times it may register the controller stick as moving when it is stationary or do the stupid turbo flashing random button presses making it open the home menu or press 'b' all the time. Once I figured the sequence out i didn't have a problem. It is also best to wait until the game has loaded before trying to connect the Wii remotes. Simply going from the menu to the game sometimes turns the Wii remotes off which can make the mayflash adapter not work when the game starts.

However, for $11 it is certainly worth the trouble if you want to use a GameCube controller on the Wii U.
Sounds like I made the right choice with the Gigaware controller. The only issue I have encountered with it is a code dump when running the dedicated ConnectMii channel. Otherwise it does not have any sequence or quirks similar to this. That said, I'm sure I'll get at least one Mayflash adapter down the line IF qwertymodo's does not come to fruition.

The thing is, there shouldn't be any technical way for a Wiimote attachment to work as a Pro controller anyway, so I wonder where they got the idea that it would work...
Possibly from that classic controller/wiimote controller pro U; it says it is compatible with Wii U Pro Controller games as well, when in reality it is not.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Possibly from that classic controller/wiimote controller pro U; it says it is compatible with Wii U Pro Controller games as well, when in reality it is not.
Sorry about my pronouns. This is what I meant:

The thing is, there shouldn't be any technical way for a Wiimote attachment to work as a Pro controller anyway, so I wonder where Mayflash got the idea that it would work...

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
After reading this I can only assume that since the CC Pro doesn't have analog trigggers that there is no way of reading the values, I had a quick search since I remember someone possibly saying that even though the Pro doesn't have analog triggers, the code is still in there to be able to actually read these values. But I can't find it so maybe it was just me being a bit too optimistic.
Either way I would imagine that the WiiU Pro controller also doesn't have analog triggers meaning that most games released from here on out (including Smash Bros U) won't be using this particular function which doesn't really bother me so much since that's the only real game I actually WANT to use a GC pad. I can only hope that when they do release it that it doesn't use all 4 top buttons from the CC Pro and WiiU Pro since I can't think of a real practical way of doing this on the GC controller without resorting to button combinations which could be fiddly in tense situations.
Of course you can still read the values, they're just always 0.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)