Hacking Gamecube to Classic Controller Converter 2 questions

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
This should be in front page. There's a;ready a way to play GC games on Wii U. Using this adapter that came out of nowhere. So they can start porting the DiosMios or DiosMios Lite to vWii.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So they can start porting the DiosMios or DiosMios Lite to vWii.
Most likely impossible. vWii lacks MIOS, which is why Devolution would actually work - it uses uses the Wii IOS. The only way I can see for DM/L to work would be to essentially turn it into a Devolution clone and use the Wii IOS.

There's a;ready a way to play GC games on Wii U. Using this adapter that came out of nowhere.
I posted about it months and months ago in this here topic before it was ever released, but people were more interested in qwertymodo's WIP adapter or were concerned about Mayflash's quality (I myself own two Mayflash adapters)

I just talked to tueidj about CC support in Devolution, and although he said it "won't be released for a while", he has made a decision on button mapping that will affect how I do the mapping for these adapters. Here's how the CC buttons are being mapped in Devolution:
CC GC
Y->B
B->A
A->X
X->Y

Err... big problem regarding such a setup:
http://www.mayflash.com/Products/NINTENDOWiiU/W007.html

I'd also be extremely worried about retro game collections and having the Classic Controller button-mapping not match a SNES controller for similar/matching games (Nintendo Puzzle Collection and Tetris Attack comes to mind, though it is quite a minor example)

You may want to talk with tueidj a bit more regarding button mapping...

(PS. did tueidj mention anything at all regarding sideways-wiimote support in devolution?)
The Mayflash adapter doesn't even have price or availability. Does anyone here have experience w/ Mayflash products? I'll stick with this project as I have faith in how it's being developed. Mayflash could be sourcing boards from qwerty, only he knows ;)
Mayflash is THE company for pretty much any controller adapter, especially since Sony ran Lik-Sang out of business in 2006. I myself own a Classic Controller to USB adapter and it works great.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
This should be in front page. There's a;ready a way to play GC games on Wii U. Using this adapter that came out of nowhere. So they can start porting the DiosMios or DiosMios Lite to vWii.
Yeah, it just makes the Wii or Wii U think that the GC controller is a classic controller so it will only work for anything that you could use a classic controller for previously. You couldn't use a classic controller to play GC games before so, unfortunately, it won't work now just because of this. Devolution will (hopefully soon) be able to play GC games with a classic controller so WHEN that happens you will be able to use either this OR a classic controller to play GC games on family model Wii or Wii U.

Elliander

Trophies
Website
elliander.etherealspheres.com
XP
Country
United States
About the Wii Retropad: That looks very interesting. I wonder how difficult it would be to build one to be an integrated wavebird receiver? I mean, instead of a wire hanging out of the wiimote and then a wire hanging out of the adapter and then the dongle (lots of wire for a wireless unit) to just have the adapter plug directly into the wii wireless controller without any wire between them, then a switch on the adapter which would toggle between wavebird receiver "other controller" mode. When it's in wavebird mode it would have use of the little dial that comes on the wavebird recievers, and when in "other" mode it would be able to read any other controller plugged into it.

Honestly though, wouldn't it be possible to have a Wii-U hard mod to integrate wireless receivers inside it? I mean, the Wii-U was designed to have Gamecube hardware and just had the controllers removed at the last minute to save them money, right? That means that if you can add the hardware for a gamecube controller directly it would work. Since there is no space to really put controller ports on the Wii-U, the logical choice would be to figure out how to take apart a wavebird receiver and integrate it into the Wii-U.

That's something I would pay for, but now niche would it be to have the convenience of an internally supported GC controller option?

bezem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, the Wii-U was designed to have Gamecube hardware and just had the controllers removed at the last minute to save them money, right?

Source? Or is this conjecture? Just curious. As an update to anyone who was curious, I've been using the Gigaware Wireless Gamecube/Classic Controller for a few weeks now in Mario Kart 64 and Mario Kart Wii and it's an awesome controller. Highly recommended if you can find one.

YoshiKart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As an update to anyone who was curious, I've been using the Gigaware Wireless Gamecube/Classic Controller for a few weeks now in Mario Kart 64 and Mario Kart Wii and it's an awesome controller. Highly recommended if you can find one.

How's the build quality and feel compared to standard 1st party controllers? I'm thinking of getting some to replace my own controllers. They're getting pretty worn out, and official 1st parties are hard to find that aren't overpriced.

Elliander

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Source? Or is this conjecture? Just curious. As an update to anyone who was curious, I've been using the Gigaware Wireless Gamecube/Classic Controller for a few weeks now in Mario Kart 64 and Mario Kart Wii and it's an awesome controller. Highly recommended if you can find one.

semi-conjecture. I don't have first hand experience, but there are threads in multiple forums talking about it as an explanation for why gamecube mode is possible in the Wii-U. Here's one I found in a quick google search.

I know that it was a late in development decision to pull gamecube support that happened around that time they released the Wii consoles without Gamecube support. I know that the Wii has the physical hardware of a Gamecube inside it and powers down Wii mode to load Gamecube games, and that the Wii-U doesn't have the hardware for the Gamecube controllers or memory cards. For backwards compatibility with Wii games they couldn't make too many changes to the Wii hardware inside the Wii-U, and if they really did use Gamecube hardware too early on it would have been too expensive in terms of development hours to then take the Gamecube hardware out entirely. Plus, by keeping internal Gamecube hardware present, they could use it with virtual console games with perfect compatibility to resell all the gamecube games to us.

If all that is true, the big question is this: At one point in development did they cut controller and memory card support? If it was as late as I imagine, there might even be somewhere on the motherboard to physically attach Gamecube controller ports. If that's the case I wouldn't be surprised if some variation of WODE comes out for the Wii-U which puts Gamecube ports in.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...you realize the link in question just links to Devolution, which itself runs GameCube games in Wii mode via Wii IOS, not in GameCube mode via MIOS. It would seem that the people in that topic don't realize this.

In other words, one could say that Devolution technically turns GameCube games into Wii games in real time. Alternatively it could be viewed that Devolution is a type of compatibility layer similar to WINE.

Elliander

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
...you realize the link in question just links to Devolution, which itself runs GameCube games in Wii mode via Wii IOS, not in GameCube mode via MIOS. It would seem that the people in that topic don't realize this.

In other words, one could say that Devolution technically turns GameCube games into Wii games in real time. Alternatively it could be viewed that Devolution is a type of compatibility layer similar to WINE.

Interesting interpretation, but that would still support the idea that there is physical hardware present that is capable of playing gamecube games. I guess the real question to answer that is this: Does Devolution work the same way on the Wii as it does on the Wii-U? If it works the same, then the hardware in Wii mode on the Wii-U must be identical to the hardware in the Wii, or at least similar enough to be functional.

bezem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How's the build quality and feel compared to standard 1st party controllers? I'm thinking of getting some to replace my own controllers. They're getting pretty worn out, and official 1st parties are hard to find that aren't overpriced.
The controller feels really light but is surprisingly sturdy; it takes two AAA batteries. The buttons press well with a nice click to them and the shoulders are analog. I haven't plugged it into my Gamecube or the Gamecube ports of my original Wii so I'm not sure if it has Rumble or not. I always used the Wavebird so Rumble isn't a huge concern of mine.

Reactions: YoshiKart

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess the real question to answer that is this: Does Devolution work the same way on the Wii as it does on the Wii-U? If it works the same, then the hardware in Wii mode on the Wii-U must be identical to the hardware in the Wii, or at least similar enough to be functional.
It's my impression that Wii Mode on the Wii U is done via virtualization, which is supposedly how DS and GBA support work on the 3DS as well.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, that's quite the long cord. Again, seeing how the wiimote is already wireless the cord length seems kind of silly let alone having a cord at all...

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think VC games read the "analog value" for R and L rather than the "digital value", or at least that's what Mario Party 2 did. In particular I took the springs out of my CC's shoulder buttons which essentially makes said shoulder buttons constantly in the "analog-press" mode and later found out that Mario Party 2 was actually seeing that as the R button being pressed.

Elliander

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
That's very interesting. I also agree that the cable is way too long. I still think it would be better if something like that had an integrated wavebird port. I mean, if I used something like this I would have a clunky box attached to the wiimote attached to another clunky box all to use a wireless gamecube controller. Multiply that by 4 and the clutter would be worse than when I used wired controllers with my Wii.

Still, it's nice that it will be possible to use an official Gamecube controller with both Gamecube and Wii games on the Wii-U eventually at least in some capacity.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still think it would be better if something like that had an integrated wavebird port.
That'd be cool, but you'd still need a GameCube controller port for wired controllers, therefore making the whole things larger. Personally I think it'd be best if they just made it similar to the Wii Motion Plus attachment but with a GameCube port on the bottom. Also by mimicking the Motion Plus attachment's shape they would guarantee that said adapter would physically fit.

Reactions: bezem

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: You can make a post on the DS forum about your findings, and they'll do their best to respond...