Emulation Hardware Homebrew app SNES9XGX doesn't detect OEM Classic Controller or Nunchuk

TotoyHero

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hello guys, I don't know if this is the right place to ask but I'll explain my issue.
I just bought a Wii Classic Controller from a yard sale, it has the Wii logo on the front, the Nintendo label on the plug and on the back so it's a legit 100% official controller.
Both the wiimote and the classic controller are official Nintendo-branded.
I've used the classic controller on some on my Wii VC games and Nintendont with no issues, it works perfectly. I wanted to play Yoshi's Island so badly but I discovered that the game was never released on the Wii VC because of the Super FX chip I think, so I downloaded SNES9GX just to play that game with my classic controller.
But for my surprise the software doesn't detect it even when the specifications of the software state that is fully compatible. SNES9GX only detects the Wiimote.

I tried to look for help on Discord servers but I got ignored. Researching I found very old forums talking about the topic but nothing useful.
I started to suppose my Classic Controller was a very well made knockoff but I also tried plugging both of my Nunchuks (Both original, my dad got them on stores back in 2010 complete on their box when I got my Wii as a child)
but the software still doesn't recognize them. Why isn't the software recognizing my original hardware and how can I fix that?

I'll highly appreciate if someone could help.

Thank you for reading my topic, if someone can help me with my issue I will appreciate it deeply. :D

Here I'll attach a video of my issue and the actual hardware used just in case.

Attachments

• 341863149_6388175847888466_1609909883882384112_n.mp4
    7.7 MB
  • 341579607_6244130748943701_3033016048232350404_n.mp4
    4.5 MB
  • Sin título.mp4
    25.2 MB
Last edited by TotoyHero,

Ouaz

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I confirm that your Classic Controller is an official one.

I have the same one than you, it's the 1st version, with the cord below (meaning L and R are analogic).

Which version of Snes9GX do you use?

I just tested on 4.5.3 and my CC works.

Try to launch Snes9GX with the wiimote only, then plug the Classic Controller once you're on the game list?

I can't see why your CC wouldn't work with Snes9GX if it works correctly with other apps.

Last edited by Ouaz,

TotoyHero

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I confirm that your Classic Controller is an official one.

I have the same one than you, it's the 1st version, with the cord below (meaning L and R are analogic).

Which version of Snes9GX do you use?

I just tested on 4.5.3 and my CC works.

Try to launch Snes9GX with the wiimote only, then plug the Classic Controller once you're on the game list?

I can't see why your CC wouldn't work with Snes9GX if it works correctly with other apps.
I just tried and it doesn't work :(

I have 4.5.3

Ouaz

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I just tried and it doesn't work :(

I have 4.5.3
Weird.

I thought at something else... Maybe, for whatever reason, buttons are not assigned for the Classic Controller in the Snes9x config. Let's check that:

- Launch your game with the wiimote and the CC plugged in.
- Press the Home button on the wiimote to display Snes9x in-game menu.
- Go to Game Settings > Button Mappings > Snes Controller > Classic Controller, and check if buttons are correctly assigned (no blank, and try also "Reset Mappings", maybe it will rewrite clean the config file)
- Also check in Game Settings > Controller, if it's correctly set to "Snes Controllers".

Lastly, open the global config file itself on your PC (I'll check tomorrow what's in there, maybe yours have something missing.

TotoyHero

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Weird.

I thought at something else... Maybe, for whatever reason, buttons are not assigned for the Classic Controller in the Snes9x config. Let's check that:

- Launch your game with the wiimote and the CC plugged in.
- Press the Home button on the wiimote to display Snes9x in-game menu.
- Go to Game Settings > Button Mappings > Snes Controller > Classic Controller, and check if buttons are correctly assigned (no blank, and try also "Reset Mappings", maybe it will rewrite clean the config file)
- Also check in Game Settings > Controller, if it's correctly set to "Snes Controllers".

Lastly, open the global config file itself on your PC (I'll check tomorrow what's in there, maybe yours have something missing.
I really appreciate that you are trying to help me, thank you very much.
I tried checking the button mappings on SNES9GX and everything is in place.
In general this software doesn't recognize anything attached to the Wiimote, neither the Classic Controller or my 2 nunchuks.
Let's check tomorrow if there's something missing, but I just downloaded the latest version from WiiBrew and extracted the files to the root of the SD card, everything should work. :/

Post automatically merged:

In general this software doesn't recognize anything attached to the Wiimote, neither the Classic Controller or my 2 nunchuks.
Let's check tomorrow if there's something missing, but I just downloaded the latest version from WiiBrew and extracted the files to the root of the SD card, everything should work. :/
I checked on my SD card and I saw this settings.xml file. I dont know if this is the one but I'm going to send it to you just in case.
Also I just noticed another thing, I cannot use it neither in Homebrew Launcher or neither other emulators like FCEUGX. Maybe it has to be with the Homebrew Launcher itself? Because outside of that the controller works without any issues, exceptuating Nintendont for some reason.

Attachments

• 341894191_10008638009161595_8632970894348212319_n.mp4
    6.1 MB

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela

Post automatically merged:

Also I just noticed another thing, I cannot use it neither in Homebrew Launcher or neither other emulators like FCEUGX. Maybe it has to be with the Homebrew Launcher itself? Because outside of that the controller works without any issues, exceptuating Nintendont for some reason.
Homebrew Channel is not related to apps not recognizing controllers.

Kinda seems your controller is a pirate one. Use Snes9x RX, as it has extended support for some other knockoff pads and might recognize yours, so let me know if it works.

Ouaz

Trophies
XP
Country
France
> Kinda seems your controller is a pirate one.

Well, a very well-made one then.^^

I watched carefully the attached videos before answering: prints, colors, fonts, are ok, and "Nintendo" is correctly carved on the back. And it has the 3-wing screws.
Or maybe the shell is an official one, but what is inside is a counterfeit (or not OEM). Unlikely... but who knows.

Moreover, this does not explain why his 2 nunchuks are not recognized too (which look like genuine too)

> Use Snes9x RX, as it has extended support for some other knockoff pads and might recognize yours, so let me know if it works.

Yep, also try that, it costs nothing. ^^

-------------
> I tried checking the button mappings on SNES9GX and everything is in place.

Yup, everything's ok.

Whatever, I checked my "settings.xml" file in Snes9xGX apps folder. You can compare with yours, to be sure (though I think it's not that now, with what you mentioned in your last post):

<setting name="Controller" value="4" description="Controller" /> <controller name="btnmap_pad_classic" description="SNES Pad - Classic Controller"> <button number="0" assignment="1048576" /> <button number="1" assignment="4194304" /> <button number="2" assignment="524288" /> <button number="3" assignment="2097152" /> <button number="4" assignment="536870912" /> <button number="5" assignment="33554432" /> <button number="6" assignment="67108864" /> <button number="7" assignment="268435456" /> <button number="8" assignment="65536" /> <button number="9" assignment="1073741824" /> <button number="10" assignment="131072" /> <button number="11" assignment="-2147483648" /> </controller> <controller name="btnmap_pad_nunchuk" description="SNES Pad - Nunchuk + Wiimote"> <button number="0" assignment="8" /> <button number="1" assignment="4" /> <button number="2" assignment="131072" /> <button number="3" assignment="65536" /> <button number="4" assignment="1" /> <button number="5" assignment="2" /> <button number="6" assignment="4096" /> <button number="7" assignment="16" /> <button number="8" assignment="2048" /> <button number="9" assignment="1024" /> <button number="10" assignment="256" /> <button number="11" assignment="512" /> </controller>

> Because outside of that the controller works without any issues, exceptuating Nintendont for some reason.

So, to summarize:
- Works with everything (Wii games, VC games) and Nintendont (which is good at detecting anything)
- Does not work with HBC, Snes9X and FCEUGX.

Reading similar threads (just below), could the culprit be... the wiimote itself ? It seems unofficial wiimotes or ones with integrated Motion Plus prevent homebrew apps to detect any connected controllers.

You said it was the wiimote bundled with the console, brand new or second hand?
Do you have another wiimote to test?

Last edited by Ouaz,

TotoyHero

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I tried using SNES9XRX and it doesn't work neither. I'm going to open the classic controller to take a look to the motherboard just in case.
The Wiimote is one that I used as a child that either or, came bundled with my original Wii or it was included with Wii Play. I don't know which one is it because both were white. I used to have 2 of them but one of them got missing. The Wii that I have now is another one.
It can be the wiimote maybe. I have another one but it's a licensed third party one, I tried with that one as well and it doesn't work because of obvious reasons. I will have to check if someone can lend me one that I can use. That probably can be the issue?

Ouaz

Trophies
XP
Country
France
That probably can be the issue?

Possibly.

Because if it was only the CC not detected, okay, no luck, a very well-made unofficial controller (which really looks like genuine), but the 2 nunchuks not detected too?

That's a bit too much. ^^ We can try to narrow the problem to the wiimote itself, it's a legitimate guess, given the clues. :sherlock:

TotoyHero

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Possibly.

Because if it was only the CC not detected, okay, no luck, a very well-made unofficial controller (which really looks like genuine), but the 2 nunchuks not detected too?

That's a bit too much. ^^ We can try to narrow the problem to the wiimote itself, it's a legitimate guess, given the clues. :sherlock:
Alright, I'm going to open the controller and take a look to the motherboard to make sure that is not fake. If it's not I'm going to borrow a controller from a friend or look for the one that is missing to see if it works. I will keep you noticed. Thank you very much!!!

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Okey, then the Wiimote is the only one left to verify. Try lending another one.

Alright, I'm going to open the controller and take a look to the motherboard to make sure that is not fake. If it's not I'm going to borrow a controller from a friend or look for the one that is missing to see if it works. I will keep you noticed. Thank you very much!!!
In case it could help you, the closest I had to that issue a long time ago, was the attachment disconnecting after some mild movements. It was quickly and permanently fixed by cleaning the port on the Wiimote.

TotoyHero

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Actually that happened to me when I used to plug my nunchuks. But a few days ago before buying the classic constroller I opened the wiimote and cleaned the motherboard and the port with isoprophyl alcohol and stopped happening. So the controller is not dirty. The wiimote just hates homebrew software haha

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Actually that happened to me when I used to plug my nunchuks. But a few days ago before buying the classic constroller I opened the wiimote and cleaned the motherboard and the port with isoprophyl alcohol and stopped happening. So the controller is not dirty. The wiimote just hates homebrew software haha
Hmmm, pirate Wiimote then? It's the only controllers that I know of that throw fits at homebrew. I even use general homebrew to detect them and discard them if I need to, LOL.

TotoyHero

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The wiimote is not pirate, its original but anyway. I will go to a friend's house on Saturday and he will lend me his 2 wiimotes. I will test with them to check if it works :yay:

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
The wiimote is not pirate, its original but anyway. I will go to a friend's house on Saturday and he will lend me his 2 wiimotes. I will test with them to check if it works :yay:
Your issue points to the contrary. But anyway, we're still curious about what happens with your Wii. :D

TotoyHero

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I know that you don't believe that is an original wiimote but I can tell you, it has the Wii logo and I opened it a week ago. It's official. As I said it was included with my Wii or from the Wii Play bundle either or. It's not a fake one.

Well, I just tried with my friend's wiimotes and on both it works!!
Both are MotionPlus included wiimotes. I don't know why it doesn't work with mine, as I said its original so I don't know why it's not supported but yes. IT WORKED!!!!
Maybe only the newer ones are supported? Because mine is just OEM without MotionPlus.
I'm very happy, now I can play Yoshi's Island :DDDD

And now everyone with the same issue is going to know why it happens

Thank you very much!!!!

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Seems like you broke it when you did this

Reactions: niuus

TotoyHero

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
if it was broken it would not turn on and the port would not work.
I have cleaned plenty of controllers and consoles, I'm not new to this so no, I didn't break it.
I don't know why you're guys assuming either or it's a fake one or it's broken when since the beginning I'm saying that everything on the controller works, the controller is clean and also the motherboard is Nintendo-official. It's just that I can't use a Classic Controller on Homebrew software with that Wiimote and that's it. I tried sending videos for you not to lose time asking if it's original or not but well, people on the Internet never believes no matter how much evidence you show. :'I

I don't know why it is since the classic controller works with any Nintendo official software using that controller. I just came to the conclusion that my own wiimote is not supported with homebrew software for some reason, even if its official and works. Maybe it's because it was included with Wii Play? I really don't know.

Gladly I tested with my friend's newer wiimotes and it works.

So that's it. I need to get another Wiimote because Homebrew software for some reason doesn't take my Wiimote, most probably I'm going to ask my friend if he can sell it to me because he doesn't use the Wii anymore.

I really appreciate you guys for trying to help me. :'D
I got my problem solved and we kinda found the reason why this was happening. Thank you!!!!

Ouaz

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, I just tried with my friend's wiimotes and on both it works!!
Both are MotionPlus included wiimotes. I don't know why it doesn't work with mine, as I said its original so I don't know why it's not supported but yes. IT WORKED!!!!
Good news, the wimote was a correct guess after all. :happy_sherlock:

Why the CC is not recognized through this particular wiimote, and only with homebrew apps (except Nintendont), will remain a mistery though. :ninja:

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Good news, the wimote was a correct guess after all. :happy_sherlock:

Why the CC is not recognized through this particular wiimote, and only with homebrew apps (except Nintendont), will remain a mistery though. :ninja:
Pirate controllers are and will always be toxic waste for Wii homebrew. Avoid them like a plague! :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: Ouaz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The only CoD game I played that I truly enjoyed was Black Ops 1, and only the single player...