ROM Hack Game Center CX : Arino no Chosenjo 2 (New Start?)

Aaron Chmielowiec

Wielder of the 4 sacred cheeses
OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Oh, it should be fine for all intents and purposes. All we're doing now is patch up the tiny things that may not necessarily affect anything but might be changes for consistency or such. Also any spacing or spelling errors.

I'm actually somewhere between a 1/3 and 1/2 of the game manual done (text-wise) but I have to let those with more artistically ability than myself make up the new manual.

That and I've got a few other projects on the run so my time is really divided. If I don't get back to you right away I haven't fallen off the face of the Earth or anything.

Alchemilla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And Mr---damnit I can't spell your last name so I hope a first name basis isn't shitholey.

And Aaron, what would these other projects be? Anything good? Nanashi no Game: Me?

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
That's okay, I'm actually a naturalized citizen of Japan so my name in Japan is Aaron Tokunaga (德永 鳴呼龍) but my last name from when I was Canadian is a mess, yeah (pronounced Mell-o-wick despite being spelled Chmielowiec) I keep the old name mostly because my degree and a number of certs have my name that way but in Japan I keep it at Tokunaga for many reasons (same name as my kids and wife to keep taxes and insurance smooth for one)

Anyway, I have most of the 1st pass of the game manual done. It needs to be checked against the actual labels in the game and I know I have consistency issues but here is where it stands right now. I'm letting Mars_x handle changing the manual graphics to be in English while I handle this end of the translation. Everything except the huge page of warnings and cautions on the inside cover and the company/product info near the back should be done. (again, first pass; I rushed like a maniac to get through it all but it will need to be polished up)

Code:
RGC2 manual:

EPSON002 - Back/Front cover

(Front Cover - Logo)

Instruction Booklet (kanji reading overtop of kanji)

Produced by Bandai Namco Games Corporation

-----------------------------------

(Back Cover)

Produced by Bandai Namco Games Corporation

* Not for export
    * Duplication of this game in any part is strictly forbidden
    * Customer support is only available from within Japan

(Fuji TV Logo)

(right side of bottom)
    This product uses LCFont from Sharp Corporation.
    LCFont and the LC Logo are property of Sharp Corp.

This product makes use of fonts from Fontworks Corp.
    Fontworks Corp. and the font names are distributed with official permission from Fontworks Corp.

Nintendo DS is a registered product of Nintendo Corp.
    Registered under Product IDs 1259804, 1260043

EPSON003 - Inside Cover/P1 - Warnings and Cautions
EPSON004 - P2/3 - Using the Touch Screen, Starting the Game

Using the Touch Screen

You can carry our two types of operations with the touch screen.

"Touch" - Slightly pressing the stylus against the screen is called a "touch".
    "Slide" - Gently pressing the stylus against the screen and moving the stylus along the screen is known as a "slide".

Cautions about the Touch Screen:

* Please use only the stylus or any pointing device that came with your Nintendo DS or related games
    * Do not use any styles that is warped or has scratches
    * Do not apply great force when touching or sliding the stylus along the screen
    * Do not use your nails to operate the touch screen
    * Do not touch or rub anything against the top screen
    * Be careful not to drop sand, garbage or crumbs on the screen
    * If applying a protective filter to the screen, please check the related instructions before attemping to apply said filter

----------------------

Starting the Game

1. After making sure the power to your Nintendo DS unit is off, insert the "Retro Game Challenge 2" cartridge into the open slot at the top of the unit and make sure it fits snugly with a slight snapping sound as it sets into place.
    2. After turning on the power you should see the screen    to the right. After confirming this message, touch the lower screen to continue.
    3. At the main game menu, touch the "Retro Game Challenge 2" icon to start the game.
        * These screens are taken from the Nintendo DS/DS Lite system
        * If your system is set to auto-boot, you will not need to do anything to start the game
    4. For operation instructions, please continue to page 6.

Contents:
    5. Story
    6. Operation Instructions
    8. Starting the Game
    12. Playing the Story Mode
    14. Young Arino's Room
    16. Understanding the Menus

24. Playing "Wiz-Man"
    26. Playing "Mutekiken Kung-Fu"
    28. Playing "Demon Returns"
    30. Playing "Arino: Ace Detective (Part 1)"
    32. Playing Games at the Shop
    33. Using the Game Training Tool

EPSON005 - P4/5 - Game Master Arino, Story

Game Master Arino

-----------------

Story

Arino's regret for his failed
    challenges culminated into
    a digital version of himself,
    known as "Game Master Arino."

Thanks to the united efforts of gamers,
    he was throught to have disappeared.
    However, after repeated failure
    on his show, Arino's heart
    once again filled with darkness.

"If only I were better at games..."

Arino could not escape from his despair,
    and a new "Game Master Arino"
    was born on the Nintendo DS.

Now, there are new challenges
    for the gamers to contend with...

Now Arino is ready

to challenge you again!

Are you ready to face the new challenges!

EPSON006 - P6/7 - Operation

Operation Instructions

This is a one player game. This game makes use of both the buttons on the Nintendo DS unit and the touch screen.
    The controls change slightly for different scenes in the game, so please refer to the following pages for details.

(Nintendo DS Button Labels)

Upper Screen:
    -------------
    Any screenshot of the upper screen will be outlined in blue in this instruction booklet.

Lower Screen:
    -------------
    Any screenshot of the lower screen will be outlined in red in this instruction booklet.

L Button
    Directional Pad

* Closing the lid will put the Nintendo DS unit into sleep mode to reduce battery consumption.
    To exit out of sleep mode, open the Nintendo DS lid again.

R Button
    X Button
    Y Button
    A Button
    B Button
    Start Button
    Select Button

---------------------------------------------------------------

Operations in Young Arino's Room / The Game Shop

A Button -    Select
            Proceed to the next dialogue window
            Bring up the menu screen
    B Button -    Cancel
            Speed up displayed dialogue

Directional Pad-Move the cursor

Touch Screen -    Selecting the shortcut tabs
            Using the Memo function (See Page 22)

Operations while playing a game

Return to bottom screen/Resume game -    Touch the upper left tab on the bottom screen
    RESET / OFF -                Touch the upper right tab on the bottom screen
    Start / Pause -                Start Button

* Other operations may change slightly with each game. For details, refer to the in-game instruction manual
    for each game.

EPSON007 - P8/9 - Game Start

Starting the game

When starting the game, pressing the A Button or waiting out the intro sequence will bring you to the title
    with the game logo in the top screen and the main game menu in the bottom screen.
    Choose the mode you wish with the Direction Pad and the A button to select. Refer to the following pages for
    details on each game mode.

About "???????" options

Modes that are shown by "???????" are unselectable at that time. These options can be unlocked to the player
    as certain conditions along the main game are met. Once a mode is unlocked, it will be forever freely selectable.

------------------------------------------------------

Story

You play as a youth transported to the 80's, and along with Arino in his youth, you aim to clear the challenges
    set forth to you by Game Master Arino.

Game Training Tool

This is "Run Jump Max!", an action game mode designed to assist with basic training of movement and timing.
    Refer to Page 33 for more details.

EPSON008 - P10/11 - Game Start

(Starting the Game)

Settings

The user can change the settings related to young Arino's voice in the game. The directional pad is used to
    move the cursor. Up and Down select the option and left/right can be used to change the values.
    The A Button confirms the current settings choices are returns the user to the title screen.

* (Young Arino) In-Game Voice

Switches young Arino's chatter in-game either ON or OFF. When it is set OFF, young Arino does not speak to you during game play.

* (Young Arino) "Game ON!" Voice

Allows you to select the voice young Arino says when a game is turned ON.
    More voices will be available as the player plays through the "Daily Challenge" mode.

* (Young Arino) T-Shirt Design

Selects the T-Shirt design worn by young Arino in-game. More T-Shirts will become available as the player plays through the
    "Daily Challenge" mode. More shirts also become available on special dates.

--------------------------------------------------------

Daily Challenge

After clearing the first Wiz-Man challenge, a new game mode "Daily Challenge" will become available from the title screen.
    In accordance with the calendar in your Nintendo DS system, you will receive a new challenge every day as displayed on an in-game
    calendar. For every challenge you attempt you receive a red mark and for every challenge you clear you receive a gold mark.
    These marks are worth points and collecting enough points will be rewarded with in-game content.

Screen Guide:

1-Title of the game subject to the challenge
    2-Date
    3-Summary of the number of CX marks.
    4-Calendar
    5-Challenge score (points)

Daily Challenge Menu

Start Challenge - Begin the Daily Challenge
    Challenge Description - Check the conditions of the challenge
    Calendar - Return to the Calendar

EPSON009 - P12/13 - Story Mode

Playing the Story Mode

In the Story Mode, the player is sent back to the 80's to play through game challenges to you and Arino in his youth by Game Master Arino.

1. Select the Player Gender

When starting the game for the first time, the player needs to enter some basic information. First, the player needs to choose from the two selectable genders. This will affect the appearance of the player during the game but does not affect any of the in-game content otherwise.

2. Enter the Player Name

The player can enter his or her name. Use the directional pad to move the cursor around the large alphabet board and use the A button to select letters or symbols. In addition to changing the character set at the top of the window, a character can be deleted with the "Del" option or pressing the B button, and the name can be finalized with the "OK" option.

-----------------------------------------------------

3. Receive a Challenge

Game Master Arino will appear and issue a game challenge to the player. Challenge contents can be checked again from the "Challenge" option in the Game Select menu screen. For more details, see Page 18.

4. Select a Game

With the challenge at hand, you can select the game from young Arino's library to play. When you clear the challenge conditions, the screen will stop and "Clear" will appear on screen, ending the game and the challenge.

5. Receiving a New Challenge

The story will continue as the player clears each challenge. New games, magazines and challenges will become available. Take these on board as you face the many challenges of Game Master Arino!

EPSON010 - P14/15 - Arino's Room

Young Arino's Room

In young Arino's room, you can play any of the games he has or have fun chatting with him. All of Game Master Arino's challenges will take place in this room. The story will proceed in this room and you may also head to the game shop from here.

Playing Games in the Room

You can play any of the games young Arino has in his room. All of the challenges given to you will correspond to the games that young Arino has in his room at the time. Once you clear all the challenges associated with a game, that game will be freely selectable to play anytime.

Playing Together

Young Arino normally just sits and watches you play, but for games that have a 2 player mode, young Arino can play along with you! There are challenges that require 2 player cooperation.

-------------------------------------------------------

The Game Screens in the Room

1. Game Screen

Displays the currently selected game that is turned ON. If no game is currently on, a TV display will take its place.

2. Return to Lower Screen / Resume

Touching the icon in the top-right corner of the lower screen will let you access the options in the lower screen and then resume the currently selected game.

3. RESET / OFF

Touching this button in the top-right corner of the lower screen will reset the currently selected game. If you are in the room options screen, this button will turn off the console power and end the game.

4. Menu

The room menu will appear when the user presses the A button with the lower screen active. For more details, refer to Page 16.

* About Shortcut Tabs

When switching to the lower screen during gameplay, there will be three shortcut buttons on the left side of the screen, "Challenges", "Latest Magazine" and "Instruction Manual". These can be accessed for quick reference. Be careful not to scratch the screen with your nails if you use your fingers to push these buttons.

EPSON011 - P16/17 - Menu

Menu Explanation

At various locations in the game, pressing the A button will bring up a menu. The directional pad moves the cursor and the A button selects the currently selected option.

Game Select Screen  (Menu)

The Game Select Screen is visible when selecting a game from young Arino's room. When there are multiple games, the left and right directional pad buttons cycle through the games and the A button brings up the menu related to that game.

Game Selection

1. Currently Selected Game Name

2. Currently Selected Game Cassette

3. Game Description

4. Play count for current game

5. Game Selection Menu

6. State of Game Master Arino's Challenges

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Start Game

When selecting the "Start Game" option in the Game Select menu, the currently selected game will start. The lower screen will change to a view of the player and young Arino, and the selected game will run in the upper screen. By pressing the "Return to Lower Screen" button in the lower screen, the currently selected game will pause and the player can bring up the room options screen.

View Instructions

You can read the game instructions by selecting "Instructions" from the Game Select menu. The manuals contain basic information and instructions. If viewing the instructions from the shortcut button during play, selecting "Resume" will take the player back to the game.

EPSON012 - P18/19 - Menu

Challenge Details

By selecting "Challenge Details" from the Game Select Menu, the player can confirm the status and details of the challenge from Game Master Arino. Challenges that have been cleared are marked with a "Check" mark next to the challenge. By using the directional pad to move up/down to select a challenge, the challenge details can be viewed by then pressing the A button.

Screen Guide

1. Currently Selected Game
    2. Game Challenge List
    3. Area for "Check" marks to indicate cleared challenges
    4. Challenge Details

Records

By selecting "Records" from the Game Select Menu, you can view various statistics related to the currently selected game such as top 5 scores, best times, number of Game Overs, total play time, etc. in its own records screen.

-------------------------------------------------

Magazines

By selecting the "Magazines" option in the Room Select Menu, you can view a rack containing all of the magazines young Arino has at that time. Each magazine can then be read by selecting one in the Magazine Select screen. These magazines contain information and hints on various games and upcoming releases. They even contain secret scratch-off hints that can be revealed by rubbing the DS Styles across them several times.

Shop

By selecting the "Shop" option in the Room Select Menu, the player goes with young Arino to the local game shop "JoycoLand". Here, young Arino and the player can play games that Arino does not have. New software titles are made available to the player as the player progresses through the story mode. The player can return to young Arino's room by selecting the "Home" option in the game shop menu. For details, refer to page 32.

* There are no instruction booklets in the game shop

Although there are no instruction booklets for the games at the game shop, there are instruction sheets for each of the games that explains the basic controls.

EPSON013 - P20/21 - Menu

Chat (Menu)

By selecting the "Chat" option from the Room Select menu, the player can chat with young Arino about the games and challenges. There may even be hints within the conversations. At some points the player may select from multiple responses. Young Arino will react differently to each of the responses.

Phone (Menu)

By selecting the "Phone" option from the room select menu, the player can have young Arino phone one of young Arino's friends or Game Master Arino. The conversation will be different depending on who is phoned. For details, see the following page.

----------------------------------------------------------

Phone a Friend

By selecting the "Phone a Friend!" option in the initial telephone conversation dialogue window, young Arino will call a mutual friend to find out information on the current game challenge.

Phone Game Master Arino

By selecting the "Phone Arino!" option in the initial telephone conversation dialogue window, young Arino will make a call to Game Master Arino. When the player is unable to clear a challenge, the player may ask Arino to give up the challenge. When a challenge is given up, a message "Failed" is displayed and the game challenge screen will have a "Give Up" mark next to the challenge.
    Remember, once a challenge is given up, it can not be challenged again.

EPSON014 - P22/23 - Menu

Memo (Menu)

The "Memo" option is only available from the Room Select Menu while a game is in progress. By using the DS Stylus, the player can write down notes related to the game. In the lower screen there are the "Black Pen" and "Red Pen" options that can be used to change the pen color. The "Erase" option can be used to bring up the eraser option as well. By pressing the B button, the player can return to the room select menu.

Screen Guide

1. Change the pen color to black
    2. Change the pen color to red
    3. Select the eraser

* Memos are not saved!

The memos that the player writes cannot be saved. Pressing the B button will erase the contents and return the player to the room select menu. If you wish to keep the contents on screen, do not press B, but rather the "Resume" button in the lower screen to keep it on screen during game play.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Quit (Save)

When selecting "Quit" from the room select menu, the challenge statuses are saved upon exit. In order to save, select the "Save" option from the dialogue window that appears after young Arino speaks to you about it. There is only one save data slot, so any data saved will overwrite the previous save.
    While the game is saving, please do not turn OFF the power or remove the DS cartridge.

* The current game state for the game in progress is not saved.

** After saving your game, young Arino will ask if you want to play some more. You can continue playing by selecting the "I want to play some more" option. Selecting "I'm done" will return the player to the Title Screen Menu. To continue the game later, select the Story Mode and then "Continue" to resume your game.

* Initializing the Save Data

In order to delete the save data and revert the game to a blank save file, start the game holding down the L, R, A, B, X and Y buttons simultaneously. A confirmation screen will appear. Selecting "Yes" will initialize the save data. Warning! Once the data is initialized it cannot be restored to its previous state.

EPSON015 - P24/25 - Wiz-Man

Game Introduction 1
    Wiz-Man

Get the crystals in the tower!

How to Play:

In "Wiz-Man", you control Wizan, the one who is gathering the shining crystals on each floor as he makes his way to the top of the tower in this white-knuckled dot-eater action game! Move Wizan with the directional pad and, using both types of wands, collect all the crystals on each floor. Once you collect all the crystals, a door will appear, and you can proceed to the next floor to do it all again! There are many enemies waiting for Wizan in the tower, so make use of your wands with the A button to bring them down as you make your way through the tower.

Controls

D-Pad - Move Wizan
    A Button - Use Wand
    Start - Game Start/Pause

(Aim to get the Arthrian Stone at the top of the tower!)

1. Score
    2. Number and Type of Wands held
    3. High Score
    4. Treasure Chest Key
    5. Remaining Lives
    6. Wizan

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take the wands and gather the crystals!

You can gather crystals the same color as your wand. You can also cast magic from these wands with the A button to attack enemies or to retract spells. Gathering more of the same type of wand will make Wizan move faster and be able to cast more of the same type of magic. Be careful though, since you cannot carry both types of wands at the same time. There is even a hidden wand more powerful than both of the other wands...

Red Wand - Fire Rod

* Collect Red Crystals
    * Cast Fire Magic

Blue Wand - Ice Rod

* Collect Blue Crystals
    * Cast Ice Magic

Defeat Enemies and collect their items!

You can defeat the enemies on each floor with magic! Red enemies are weak against ice and blue enemies are weak against fire. There are white enemies that are weak to both! If you use the same color magic against the same color enemy, you will still be able to stun them or alter their direction. When you defeat an enemy they will sometimes leave behind items. Make sure to get them!

Bell - Starts "Bonus Time!" Get all the coins!
    Key - Used to open Treasure Chests!
    Trasure Chest - Contains high scoring items, but requires a key!

EPSON016 - P26/27 - Mutekiken Kung-Fu

Game Introduction 2
    Mutekiken Kung-Fu

Unleash the Mutekiken! 2 Player action is also on fire!

How to Play:

In Mutekiken Kung-Fu, you play as Kengo Aichi as you battle your way to the evil Zago through his minions in this side-scrolling action title! Using the secret Mutekiken arts, bring down your foes as you travel westward to face down Zago. Many of his minions are waiting for you along the way. Defeating these bosses will restore your health and you can proceed to the next stage. Also, not just single player modes, but two players can get in on the action against each other!

* 2 Player mode will put you against young Arino

Controls:

D-Pad - Move Kengo
    A Button - Punch
    B Button - Kick
    Start Button - Game Start/Pause

(Chase down the Kotei troops to avenge your master!)

1. Score / High Score
    2. Stage Boss Health
    3. Time Limit
    4. Collected "Ki" Marks
    5. Remaining Player Lives / Health
    6. Kengo Aichi

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Thrust Kengo into the action!

Using the various buttons, you can make Kengo unleash a variety of moves. Using the A button to punch and the B button to kick will let you perform a number of hits and combos. You can land up to three hit combos on your enemies! There are different hit marks as well. When your hit marks go from white to yellow, you start hitting for even more damage!

(Combo Attack)

1 hit - 2 hits - 3 hits

D-pad Operation:

Up - Jump
    Left - Move Left
    Right - Move Right
    Down - Crouch

Other Actions:

Jump Punch - Up + A
    Jump Kick - Up + B
    Crouching Punch - Down + A
    Crouching Kick - Down + B

Reveal the power of the "KI" marks!

When unleashing a combo attack on an enemy, you can send them flying across the screen! If that enemy crashes into another enemy and that enemy is defeated, a special "KI" mark will start floating up the screen. Collecting 4 of them will unleash the "Mutekiken" mode when you will stop taking damage and inflict damage 3 times as strong upon your enemies!

(KI Mark)

EPSON017 - P28/29 - Demon Returns

Game Introduction 3
    Demon Returns

Travel to the underworld to rescue the princess!

How to Play:

In Demon Returns, you play as Damon, a cursed prince that is making his way through the underworld to rescue his long lost princess in this platform action game! While spinning enemies along the way, make your way through the ring of spirits at the end of each level to proceed to the next stage. The Apple Gauge at the top of the screen represents Damon's vitality and it slowly decays as time goes on, so in order to keep Damon healthy make sure to collect any apples you find along the way!

Controls:

D-Pad - Move Damon
    A Button - Jump
    B Button - Dash / Spin Claw
    Start Button - Game Start / Pause

(An action game in the mysterious underworld!)

1. Score
    2. Apple Gauge
    3. Remaining Lives
    4. Collected Souls
    5. Damon
    6. Enemy

-------------------------------------------------------

Power up with the Moon Medals!

Damon can find Moon Medals in the Demon Blocks, and can power up up to two times to increase his size, power and abilities! Big Damon can attack enemies with his spin claw further away and with more power, and Kind Damon can use the spin tornado against his enemies! If Damon takes damage in either of these forms he reverts to little Damon again.

(Moon Medal)

"Power Up!"        Little Damon -> Big Damon -> King Damon

Use the Enemies you knock down!

Damon can defeat most enemies by jumping on them. However, if he uses his spin claw to send them spinning, he can jump on them to ride them across the stage, known as the "Devil Ride"! Damon can move around faster in this state.

Spin Claw! - Kick Enemies! - Devil Ride!

EPSON018 - P30/31 - Arino: Ace Detective Part 1

Game Introduction 4
    Arino: Ace Detective (Part 1)
    The Final Day of the Game Computer

In Arino: Ace Detective (Part 1), you play as a new employee of Game Center CX Industries that works along with Arino to solve the seven mysteries of the factory in this thrilling adventure game! Using information and clues from the other factory staff and people around the city, you work to solve these seven mysteries.
    Released on the Game Computer Floppy Disk System, both parts to this adventure make for an expansive, thrilling mystery!

Controls:

D-Pad - Move Cursor / Move around the map
    A Button - Select command / Send message
    B Button - Cancel command / Speed up message display
    Start Button - Game Start

1. Main Game Screen
    2. Commands
    3. Message Area

-----------------------------------------------------------

Use your commands to carry out the investigation!

You can proceed with your investigation by use of the commands on the right side of the screen. Talking to others with both the "Inquire" and "Gabble" options will result in different responses! Whenever you get stuck, use the "Think" command to get yourself back on track.

The Investigation expands to the city!

The company president gives you and Arino special cards to identify you on your investigation as a company project. Using these, you carry your investigation outside the factory and into the city. When walking through the city the game screen will change to look like the screen at the right. You'll need to explore many areas of the city to crack the seven mysteries!

* Use the Save command!

Using the Save command, you can save the status of your investigation to continue later. Use the Continue Adventure option on the game title screen to continue with your investigation. This save data is separate from the main game challenge data, so make sure to save your adventure as you continue with your case.

(The story continues in the 2nd part...)

EPSON019 - P32/33 - Play Shop, Training Tool

Playing Games in the Game Shop

From young Arino's room, you can head to the local Game Shop where you can play special editions of the games featured in the first game "Retro Game Challenge". Selecting games works the same as in young Arino's room, and new games become available as the player progresses through the story. These games are freely playable. Below are introductions to two of them.

Cosmic Gate - MASA-X Version

This is a shooting game in which your ship, the Infinity, blasts though wave after wave of the enemy ships known as the Insektors. Unlike the GameCom version, this version has different stage layout, number of stages and new bosses in this vastly different remix.

<- Unlike the GameCom version, there are two different colors representing different enemy types and the sound has been noticably improved.

Robot Ninja Haggleman - Koume Version

This is an action game in which you defeat enemies by jumping on them and making use of the revolving doors. This is an unreleased limited edition from the "Koume Fanclub" in which you take on the role of Koume as she fights her way through stage after stage of relentless enemies. There are other new characters, too!

<- Every 8 stages the difficulty increases and the game cycles in an infinite loop!

About the Game Training Tool

By selecting the "Game Training Tool" option from the Title Menu, you can play the action game training tool "Run Jump MAX!" produced by Arino himself! Using the D-pad to move left and right and the A button to jump, navigate the ever-increasingly difficult course by jumping over pits and dodging obstacles. When you "miss" 3 times, the game will end and you will be presented with a Game Center CX Rank.

Controls:

D-Pad - Move Left/Right
    A Button - Jump
    Start Button - Game Start/Pause

1. Score
    2. Player
    3. Skill Level
    4. Obstacle
    5. CX Coin
    6. Miss Count

* Secret for the Game Training Tool

We have a cool cheat for you to try out with the Game Training Tool! At the Title Screen, enter the command sequence "Up Up X X Down Down Y Y" and press the button. If you hear a chime you did it right. This will turn off the announcer voice during play so you can concentrate on getting a higher score. This trick should really help you out!

EPSON020 - P34/35 - Support/Credits/Contact Info.
EPSON021 - P36/37 - Advertising for Retro Game Challenge 1

Enjoy more of Arino's Challenges!
    "Have you cleared them all?"

(Game Logo)

Now on Sale!

Nintendo DS Software / Genre : Game in Game
    Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price : 2,940 yen (tax included)

(Welcome Price 2,800)

You can enjoy the first title after playing the 2nd!
    (You can play Haggleman 1, 2 and 3!)

Includes the prequel to Guadia Quest Saga "Guadia Quest"!

You can read the back issues of GameFan Magazine!

The original versions of the games in the Game Shop are in the 1st Retro Game Challenge!

Aim to clear all of the challenges in both Retro Game Challenge Titles!

("Retro Game Challenge" in "Search" box)

* Nintendo DS Sold Separately
    * Images on the DS screens on this page are artists renderings
    * This game is currently on sale

Nintendo DS is a registered trademark of Nintendo Corp.

(Cero A (For all ages))

Bandai Namco Games Channel - http://www.bngi-channel.jp/

Bandai Namco Game Station - 03-3375-7656  Bandai Namco Games Corporation

Business Hours 9:30AM-12:00PM, 1PM-5PM excluding weekends and holidays

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Oh, those other projects? If you want to know:

* Blood of Bahamut

There is currently a translation for every line of dialogue and every item, ability, menu option, etc. in the game and I have a tool to insert text but there is a technical issue with the synth shop crashing when the length of the text overall (total size) gets too long. Since nobody seems able to remember how to fix it or help fix it now I will need to ask for help on this.

Graphics are also done but need to be inserted into the game.

The translations from the original team are questionable in quite a few spots but we don't need translators now so much as proofreaders. The game is almost done but needs to overcome some technical issues.

* TV Game Exam / Retro Game Exam

That other retro game compilation I threatened to do. SubnetPie had an interest in it after rgc2 wrapped up the main bits. He figured out a number of the graphics but the file format is pretty weird. I extracted the text but haven't translated it all yet nor do I know how to put it back in the game just yet

* Unbelievable People

Unrelated to any game. I have my 3rd book in the works. It's about insanity in the Japanese workplace as well as daily life. I've got 16 years worth of juicy material to put in there. I may need help with illustrations, though.

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Okay, I finished the first pass of the RGC2 manual *pfew*. It needs fixing but that was a pretty draining task. Those warning and legal pages are extremely mentally taxing.

I have patched up the last of the notes on RGC2 and after I fix up some window sizes for cosmetic purposes that should be it for anything that affects the game. There may be cosmetic or small changes from now on but overall I think all of the major and even minor stuff is out of the way.

hippy dave> I can let you have a preview copy when I'm finished if you want, but I still have a ways to go. I have a book of computer generated poetry and the history of the Japanese DDR Community if you really want... *crickets chirp*...

EDIT> The thread title is still the old one...I should ask again to have it changed.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, I finished the first pass of the RGC2 manual *pfew*. It needs fixing but that was a pretty draining task. Those warning and legal pages are extremely mentally taxing.

Your zeal is overboard here, Aaron. You needn't translate the legalese wall of text, no one even bothers to read those (maybe I'll make an exception here), but honestly you drained yourself for nothing ...

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Oh, I don't mind anyway. What if someone in Bangladesh is on a crowded train and they are concerned about how far they need to stand from someone with a pacemaker to use wireless safely?

I'm not totally positive on all the legalese but it's good practice (I'm still studying for various interpretation and translation exams like the TOBIS).

So yeah, maybe I should start on writing up that chart translating Arino's 1290 voice samples in the game...

Though I probably should touch up any last minute cosmetics with rgc2 and get out another patch as well.

Alchemilla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
* Unbelievable People

Unrelated to any game. I have my 3rd book in the works. It's about insanity in the Japanese workplace as well as daily life. I've got 16 years worth of juicy material to put in there. I may need help with illustrations, though.

There's are guys on Reddit who could help. Maybe shitty_watercolour or artzdept. I'd offer but the only thing I can draw well is Pyramid Head.

* Blood of Bahamut

There is currently a translation for every line of dialogue and every item, ability, menu option, etc. in the game and I have a tool to insert text but there is a technical issue with the synth shop crashing when the length of the text overall (total size) gets too long. Since nobody seems able to remember how to fix it or help fix it now I will need to ask for help on this.

To fix it, make the translations smaller. Simple. Instead of 'and the fires of hell hath forgotten the sad lonely boy of twenty summers and springs, for he is alone', put 'and hell forgot the sad 20 year old'.

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Ah, but nothing is ever that simple in all cases. I have cases like "Aerial Mini-boss" that must fit in three English (Roman) characters. Some of the item names and labels are also very constricted to the point they have to be abbreviated.

In any case, in RGC2 land other than the spacing/line error in the 1st Adventure game I don't see anything else terribly wrong. I did get a report asking why the GameFan magazines cost so much in the early 90s. I think it was because we just used a straight $1 = 100 yen conversion rate for simplicity and also Japan was going through a bubble economy back then and that skyrocketed prices in Japan.

This very small change with the Adventure text is here if you really want to try it out. I want to see if there is anything else I can change or fix first though before I have it uploaded (again) to romhacking.net

http://www.mediafire.com/download/vhsz8fan60ab78d/rgc2eng_v133.rar

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Not much else to report. I don't think there is anything major to update after that last patch (1.3.3) so everything else looks to be a cosmetic change from now on. Thanks for everyone's input and help. Also, I did notice this game was featured on hardcoregaming101's game of the month feature. There is supposedly a podcast this month and I have been asked (along with anyone else from the team that wishes to join) to speak about the project.

I hope you all are enjoying/enjoyed the game.

As for other work, the manual is still a WIP but the base contents have all been translated. I do need to listen through all 1290 Arino voices...sometime.

Oh, and that Blood of Bahamut thing is taking a chunk of my time recently but even that is looking good now. I think the thread is planned to reopen in the near future.

All a WIP. No more discussion will be done here. Please wait for the reopening of the BoB thread after I get a chance to test the story file text in-game. (handled differently than the rest of the game so I'm a bit concerned about it working) Also, none of the original translation already has been translated has been touched even though it will be; some people working on this probably were in over their heads and some of this looks very awkward. In any case I want a fully working game (finally) before I pick apart the translation more. There is only so much I can "see" in a game in an excel sheet

5oc1yPQ.png
qBIXVg8.png

s6vBIgj.png
fYfY27a.png

i4405KE.png
DBO9Rko.png

VYbUhr7.png
1lblXKg.png

sDYoyPl.png
N6TNR23.png

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
You're really something else, Aaron. Reviving dead/inactive translation projects left and right :P

By any chance, are you interested in any of the Tengai Makyou games?
II DS and IV PSP shouldn't be, last I saw, hard to translate, and they're easily the best in the series yet either neglected for spin-offs (Zero, Ao) or lost in limbo or scene drama (Ziria, Zero?, IV).
It's also something I only see someone living in Japan as being able to handle, if only for the subtle cultural jokes, references, puns and alternate kanji readings that are actually heavily plot-relevant. And lots of text.
I'm really looking forward for Blood of Bahamut, even more than Retro Game Challenge 2 (which I loved) to be honest.
And your efforts on that one being low profile for now may be in fact a really good thing. While Square explicitly stated, according to Ignition, that they are not interested in localizing or remaking Blood of Bahamut back in 2010, some sensationalist media right now likes to lick corporate boots and capitalize on the whole Final Fantasy Type-0 controversy (due in no small part in fact to the patch being the actual copyrighted files and not an xdelta patch), and they like right now to demonize fan-translation in general for clickbait.
Ideally, if possible, avoiding exposure on some big "infamous" sites (especially neogaf, kotaku, siliconera, polygon..) should save a lot of trouble.

Reactions: Aaron Chmielowiec

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Yeah, I figured it was the fact the FF-0 team distributed a "patch" containing the copyrighted content that got them in trouble. As long as I can stick with something like XDelta which only packs in the "changed" content I should be fine, legally anyway...in theory...

I'm open to translation projects of all types, though I get the feeling I'm spreading myself rather thin right now. After RGC2, I've been asked to do everything under the sun. I don't mind but there is only so much I can do at one time, especially with a family and full time job to juggle. Once I break free of a rather constrictive contract I'm in until the end of August I'll have more time for these things, though. (Side note; if your boss is 100% reliant on you to do your job and only pays a tiny fraction of what he charges to the clients to whom you do the work, you're better off doing that work on your own; contracting yourself directly)

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"some people working on this probably were in over their heads and some of this looks very awkward. In any case I want a fully working game (finally) before I pick apart the translation more."

We were never in over our heads. This game was one of the easiest games to work on, especially with Noitora's help in the beginning. The text limits made many of the translations very awkward and some on the team had never beaten the game, but were in the process of playing it. The game was fully working for me, it was mostly editing and finishing the dialogue that we were waiting on. As I've told you before, I fixed the issues I had run into. I romhacked more than I translated, so fixing the issues was my main priority. I don't recall anyone asking me for the fixed files before I left. I could be wrong, but I don't remember anyone doing so. I even offered my fixed files at one point :P

As for the translators, every single one of us did our best with the text limits we were given. Yes, some were awkward as shit due to us having to cut out so many words to fit the limits and the editing wasn't done(which is why some things still look awkward), but every person on the team did the best they could.

Nevertheless, I wish the team the best of luck. People have been waiting on a BoB patch for a veeeeeery long time and I can't wait to see how happy they will be :)

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Oh hey! Hello there! Heh, why does it seem I keep drawing so much attention these days.

Oh, I know the original team did what they could with the somewhat pretentious dialogue in the game (many thanks) but I was more referring to the fact there will need to be proofreading for some consistency issues and careless typos in the text. There were comments in the original sheets that were concerning (about first attempts; missed references; inane comments) but I'm skipping past that; it's all water under the bridge. That given, the very fact there actually was a translation for much of the text was already a huge help.

Technically there isn't too much to do once the text is in place, as you know. There are length issues and problems with the game crashing due to incindents of that but it doesn't matter since I've worked around that anyway. I have mock ups of the graphics but no game files with them in it so I may have to do those by hand if those don't turn up. I didn't quote get all the tools and source files I would have liked to speed things through but there is enough to see this thing through to the end. Any other scripts I need I can write (like some small python ones for text processing)

All I'm doing right now is putting everything in the game so the text can be better viewed in context. I don't care about drama or any such thing as I have no time for that; I'm just working to finish this.

Thanks for tuning in, by the way. I'm always up for a chat.

Patuli

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I just sign, to thank you and your team, for your work and dedication to this game, you even go as far as translating the manual!
Reading the last pages I see that you decided to continue the work on Blood of Bahamut.
I'm Glad to see someone as dedicated as you, decided to continue the work on Blood of bahamut,
I hope some day someone pick up and finish the remaining translation of Archaic Sealed Heat.
Anyway I'm only going to say.
Thanks for all your work and dedication. I can't express all my gratitude to you!

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Thanks for signing in to comment. It was a pleasure working on RGC2.

Oh, this is a reminder to all about the hardcoregaming101 podcast but that is happening Thursday at 10:30pm my time (JST) which would be 9:30AM Thursday Eastern Standard Time or so? I'll have to let you do the math depending on where you live. I'll be talking about Retro Game Challenge 2 and the whole project and I know I'm going to be asked questions about things like my naturalization in Japan and possibly a bit about translation/interpretation and getting certification, but I guess I'll have to wait for the podcast.

Of course, the others involved on this project have been asked to join as well though I'm not positive on everyone's schedules. I've already mailed/messaged you all (I hope) with Skype details, etc.

As for RGC2 although there shouldn't be any big problems I have had a few comments about the name entry puzzles in the Adventure games. Depending on the capitalization you use the codes may or may not work. It's best to stick all to upper or lower case to be safe. Mixed caps has mixed results, but I'll see what I can do.

disgaea36

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just sign, to thank you and your team, for your work and dedication to this game, you even go as far as translating the manual!
Reading the last pages I see that you decided to continue the work on Blood of Bahamut.
I'm Glad to see someone as dedicated as you, decided to continue the work on Blood of bahamut,
I hope some day someone pick up and finish the remaining translation of Archaic Sealed Heat.
Anyway I'm only going to say.
Thanks for all your work and dedication. I can't express all my gratitude to you!

I thought that game was already translated and finished??

disgaea36

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To the creator of this patch I cannot express enough my gratitude to the delighted news of your patch. The endless effort that me and my buddies had trying to convince xseed to bring this underrated gem states side was to no avail while behind the scenes you and your team were working hard on a solution. And now I hear your giving us the pleasure of experiencing blood of bahamut, words aren't enough for you my friend. Sorry for being so dramatic I just can't contain my happiness lol thank you so much :yaysp:

Reactions: MarkDarkness

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/NGOSybO-5R4?si=SmiQ0UaynHR80xC9