ROM Hack Game Center CX : Arino no Chosenjo 2 (New Start?)

joek0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Aaron! If you like, I can help you test it once before the final release. You can also use my 2 FAQs on your site if you want. I plan to update my Wizman FAQ after the translation patch. I'm only really missing the guide for collecting the magic rods in my FAQ.

I will play this game like crazy again after this translation patch is released. Thanks for all your hard work!

Here was the guide I used along with the wiki I used to beat Guadia Quest Saga!
http://translate.google.com/transla...http://arino2.otogirisou.com/gadia.htm&anno=2

Aaron Chmielowiec

Wielder of the 4 sacred cheeses
OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Sounds good.

I got the last graphic patch from the graphics guys today (not sure if it is in the repository yet) but ill merge that with the latest version later today and message you about it.

I found a grammatical error or...4 in the adventures so far so I'll try to merge those changes in there too.

The testers have been doing a fine job but if you have some really obscure things you can test I'm all for that. It will probably take a day or so for me to get through the rest of what I want to check.

joek0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds good.

I got the last graphic patch from the graphics guys today (not sure if it is in the repository yet) but ill merge that with the latest version later today and message you about it.

I found a grammatical error or...4 in the adventures so far so I'll try to merge those changes in there too.

The testers have been doing a fine job but if you have some really obscure things you can test I'm all for that. It will probably take a day or so for me to get through the rest of what I want to check.

With my knowledge of the game, I can help test out the post game of Guadia Quest Saga for you!

Truner

Trophies
Website
truner.beluva.hu
XP
Country
Hungary
So in the end, what did you name the three heroes from the first game (you can battle them). Did you manage to keep their names 4 characters long?

I could also help with Guadia Quest Saga testing, but only that, I don't want to spoil the game. I finished the original multiple times, so I could easily pick up stuff that are in both games.

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
In the game when you do face them they are treated as a single enemy even though there are 3 of them "3 Heroes". It's a bit weird.

Thanks for the offer but I think I've got testing under wraps. There is some post game content to check but everything is looking good and I hope for a public release of 1.0 very soon now, as in this is a matter of days at this point. I already have a domain and site setup for this but want to wait to finalize the patch before releasing it.

Everyone involved has put in tremendous effort and the results are amazing. Even the hyper critical fans I let try out the game were giving it a thumbs up. Thanks to everyone involved with this and I hope you all enjoy version 1.0 of the patch when I get it out.

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
I'm tempted to make a strategy section on the website for things like this. It would be so useful...

GQS maps, adventure game walk through, voice list, etc.

Okay, I'm leveling up my party to face the ex dungeon boss in GQS. I just couldn't do it with my party in the low 30s. I'm all beefed up now, though.

The adventure game is looking good. I might go replace all counts of "Tanney" with "Tanii" since that is who it is on the show, isn't it?

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Hrm, a google search reveals both "Tani" and "Tanii" as possible names. Is there a definitive source where it proclaims it is Tani on the SA GCCX site/team/scene/whatever?

I just don't want some foaming at the mouth GCCX fan breathing fire because I spelled his name wrong.

Edit> Hrm, the Retro Game Master discussion/review on Kotaku mentions "Tani" and how the fan translation of the series was much better. "Tani" it is?

Also, as a side-project, what do you think if I scanned in the insert/cartridge label/manual and started reworking that into English as well...for the "complete" experience? That sounds like a monster sized project, though, and my graphical skills are 0.

Reactions: AndrewRoks1998

AnotherGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Pretty sure it's Tanii since that's what I've seen in the SA subtitles so far. Wiki also states his name has an extended vocal sound at the end. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Center_CX#Miscellaneous_staff

I don't really understand where you even got "Tanney" to begin with, none of the staff members besides Inoue have nicknames that have both English and Japanese in them.

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
All right, I'll go with that then. Since the variable width font won't create much difference overall in width with 1 i vs 2 I could even swap them if later it turned out I really needed to.

About "Tanney", I think at the time I saw the kana and couldn't think of a good way to romanize it to look like a normal name in romaji. There is quarterback Alex Tanney...in any case that looks like a flubbed reference on my part so I suppose I should fix all...183 occurrences of it, haha. It would be a straight search/replace but that affects the Adventure game dialogue and the horizontal space used so it should be tested again. The magazine reference is easy enough to check and fix, though. I'll try to get this done tonight.

In other news I used a regex to try and find any straggling cases where I missed a control code and I found 4 places. 2 each in the adventure and RPG. Those have been fixed. Also, I leveled up my party in GQS to 50 so I'm ready to face the optional boss. If that works the game should be fine.

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Ooh, very tempting, but I would have to search for a copy. Maybe Yahoo! Auction?

EDIT> I see Amazon JP has it : http://amzn.to/1kwDryu

I don't think there are any legal issues if we rework the information for our own needs. How book copyrights work is that you can't copyright the actual information if it is for another company's property (in this case) like a strategy guide; they can only copyright their compilation of it. This is also how dictionaries work, and yes, I did actually work at a dictionary research institute for a brief while.

Okay, I finished the EX Dungeon in GQS and that all worked...hooray? Is there anything else? Just getting this far is about as far as you can go without hunting down every last Guadia and Meister as well as item/weapon/armor. There are no broken control codes in any of it nor do any of them use extremely long lines so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I changed all the cases of "Tanney" to "Tanii" and tried reworking the dialogue in the Adventure. It looks all right but I still should test it. The one thing I dread is facing that 1.7MB wall of text again should I need to debug individual lines...

tanii.png

After that...I guess that's it for Version 1.0. I know everyone is getting excited for this so I'm working as fast as I can to (try and) make sure this all works for you.

cubeboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I changed all the cases of "Tanney" to "Tanii" and tried reworking the dialogue in the Adventure. It looks all right but I still should test it. The one thing I dread is facing that 1.7MB wall of text again should I need to debug individual lines...
Even the most "official" fan translation seems to mix it as Tani and Tanii. Episode 25 uses Tanii, but episode 64 uses Tani. I think they use Tani more than Tanii, so whatever you prefer should be just fine :)

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Okay then...I'll go with that...and it's done.

Heh, I was just looking at an old Tiny Cartridge Post about this project (There will most definitely be something up when this is released anyway). I couldn't help but notice this quote from Nina:

“Translating the game is no problem; a lot of it is already done, and English logos have been made too,”

Interesting times. Even though the text that Nina proofread is of excellent quality, if only she knew the text I got from the original team made up less than 10% of the total game. I cry thinking just about just how long it took getting through the RPG and Adventure games. The "logo" images were...well, there were a few. We ended up remaking everything in the game, though.

So yeah...I see it is June 2nd here in Japan now...happy birthday to me, I guess. I'm going to go eat something with chocolate on it and play the Adventure for a bit before bed.

Once I'm satisfied with the Adventure game, I'm satisfied enough to release the patch. Testers, if you have any last minute things to test, obscurities, etc. let me know. I have confirmation from myself and the others that except for some post-game content like the secret stage in Triotos DX VS mode or the supposed "Best" ending in Mutekiken when you beat the game twice in a row on Hard Mode (with the code) and then do the "alternate" ending, everything has been tested and verified by at least one person. I checked for any broken control codes (human error) in the script files and they all look fine now.

fedprod

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Happy Birthday and a big Thank You for your effords from me as well.
That was a really nice surprise to google for it again and see that a translation is making it to release and in good project time too.
Made me even finally get an account here just to tell how glad I am to be able to play this nice game at last in a few days =)

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Oh, in case this version happens to be the released patch, it will look like this:

patch.jpg

I also wrote up a quick text file with the same content as the website (I'll publish the link when the patch is up) to be distributed with the patch...I guess I'll RAR them together or something. It just has things like credits, known issues (NO$GBA is evil with this game), installation and how you can report bugs to me. This will all go on Filetrip I think, at least to start. I wouldn't want the server/site to go down or have my service suspended right away for going over some magical bandwidth limit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @GhostLatte approves