ROM Hack Game Center CX : Arino no Chosenjo 2 (New Start?)

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Cultural references should be kept intact... it's doubtful anybody not interested in japanese culture would play this game at all...

i'm not interested in japanese culture. i'm interested in retro gaming. i have been looking forward to playing this game for that reason alone. i am sure there are many more out there who want to play it for similar selfish reasons or simply want to play the sequel to the first game.

pachinko machines are in some arcades in the US. the machines have been featured on the tv show, storage wars. if you followed the fast and the furious series, then you saw them on tokyo drift. -- my point being, i am sure a great deal of non-japanese games will know what these machines are. as previously stated, cultural references should remain intact as they are important and reference iconic ideas, moments, and situations that should not be lost to translation.

-another world

Reactions: Celice and Pix3l

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
i'm not interested in japanese culture. i'm interested in retro gaming. i have been looking forward to playing this game for that reason alone. i am sure there are many more out there who want to play it for similar selfish reasons or simply want to play the sequel to the first game.

pachinko machines are in some arcades in the US. the machines have been featured on the tv show, storage wars. if you followed the fast and the furious series, then you saw them on tokyo drift. -- my point being, i am sure a great deal of non-japanese games will know what these machines are. as previously stated, cultural references should remain intact as they are important and reference iconic ideas, moments, and situations that should not be lost to translation.

-another world
Your reasoning is solid. This games does have JAPANESE CULTURE! written all over it, though. So maybe I should rephrase my statement: "Anybody interested in this game needs to be able to take in the cultural aspects that come with it." To address how oriental GCCX is, in the first game XSEED butchered some references to make it cross over to the west, in such a way that it alienated fans.

For example, the various assistants that show up in the series to help Arino during the show used to be represented in the game's magazines, but they were completely phased out in the translation in favor of mock characters from famous USA gaming publications. That's sort of acceptable for mass-market I guess, but in a fan translation, we should be able to get the references and have a little laugh, while to the retro gamer it really doesn't matter at all who "Nakayama" is.

BTW, I know you agree to the point, I'm just complementing my original post.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
perhaps the solution is to keep everything intact but release the translation with an extensive readme, containing information on all of the references and characters others could be informed about. while I am not all that interested in japanese culture, mostly because it does not concern me on a daily basis, the culture of this game and its history would be a welcome read.

-another world

Reactions: AndrewRoks1998

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your reasoning is solid. This games does have JAPANESE CULTURE! written all over it, though. So maybe I should rephrase my statement: "Anybody interested in this game needs to be able to take in the cultural aspects that come with it." To address how oriental GCCX is, in the first game XSEED butchered some references to make it cross over to the west, in such a way that it alienated fans.

For example, the various assistants that show up in the series to help Arino during the show used to be represented in the game's magazines, but they were completely phased out in the translation in favor of mock characters from famous USA gaming publications. That's sort of acceptable for mass-market I guess, but in a fan translation, we should be able to get the references and have a little laugh, while to the retro gamer it really doesn't matter at all who "Nakayama" is.

BTW, I know you agree to the point, I'm just complementing my original post.
Is that what happened to Arino's staff? Man I understand the localizer's reasoning, but even so, as a fan of the show, this feels really shallow :(

Reactions: Pix3l

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I think they call it Plinko too :P
Ah. I haven't watched the Price is Right in a long time, but I swear the last time I watched it was called Pachinko.

I just asked the roomies and they had no idea what Plinko was but perfectly understood what Pachinko was. Either we're all weirdos or something's up.

Aaron Chmielowiec

Wielder of the 4 sacred cheeses
OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Okay, I still have 40-something files to do but I just made a video showing off the Adventure game as it is right now.

Warning : This is very much Alpha and everything is subject to change. Still, I have no shame and will share what I have anyway. I am totally open to suggestions for changing the text and I'll give the source text to the testers but right now I just want to finish all the base files first.

Update> Okay, it's (as in the video upload is) finally done! Enjoy.

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
"You don't about the"

...we don't accidentally a word, either. JK.

Oh, I know. I should check carefully to see if I any words out.

(Well, that and I usually have to do a few files at odd hours and Notepad doesn't have a grammar checker. It will all be touched up when testing starts anyway, so enjoy the chaos)

Edit> in the video I said I had 40 files left to do but I got some more done so it is actually about 30 left now.

Mars_x

♥♪!?
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I can't watch the video with audio right now so I don't know if you addressed this but...
In the cut-scenes there's no punctuation (":") at the end of the names. At first it thought it
was normal, but then the playable section of the game started and the names had ":".
And then the punctuation was removed! It was a bit distracting, but maybe it's just me.

For the record, I would leave the punctuation there, it helps separating the text the
characters say from their name.

Otherwise, looking great. Thanks man!

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
lol i like how people assume that there wont be a bunch of people who'll just download this on the basis of it being a complete translation of a game (considering how rare a full translation is lately...). it really doesnt matter if you add a line more or less, personally, I've got a younger brother who very much enjoyed the first game who might not know what panchiko is (or plinko for that matter, both arent that famous in germany). So just add the little bracket text to be on the safe side.

Aurshur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi!, I've been lurking on this thread on a near daily basis, and I just wanted to pop in and thank everyone for all of the fantastic work.

I'm just watching the adventure game video now, and I couldn't help but notice a little grammatical snafu, in the phrase "whose there", 'whose' is the possessive form of the word 'who', the correct word in that context is 'who's' as the apostrophe (largely atypical of English) in this case is indicative of a contraction (who is?), not ownership (much like it's and its).

Anyways!, keep up the great work and if needed further down the road I'd be happy to do some proofreading!

Reactions: Mars_x

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Yeah, punctuation and grammar is going to be real inconsistent for the moment. Also, the font doesn't have all the punctuation marks in half width format so I may have to use the double byte equivalent for them.

I was thinking of dropping the punctuation except for exclamation marks and apostrophes just for space reasons but maybe it can all fit in there. I also don't want the screen to be too cluttered in the text area.

Anyway, almost there. Once I finish the last 30 files we can all nail down the grammar and punctuation and wording, etc. Please understand priority one is just getting through the base files first. I didn't expect the volume of text for this mini game alone to be more than the rest of the game. This had taken months to work through all this text.

It's okay, this is how I work professionally anyway (as a translator...whenever I get stuck doing it for work); do a rough first pass then go through it all with a fine tooth comb a few times to bang it into better shape and then have a peer review where possible.

Thanks for all your input, by the way. It is being duly noted and should help greatly

The pachinko issue is...I'm still going to have to think about that but I have a bit more time (only a bit) before I have to make a decision on how to treat it. For the moment I think I'll leave it as pachinko and provide a supplementary FAQ for those interested along with other info like what games are based on what real world games and series/character FAQ and other goodness. The source/influencing games list for each mini game could get out of hand, though. Saying the Kung Fu game closely resembles the style of Karateka and Kung-Fu Master but something like Wiz-Man can easily said to be derived from Pac-Man, Lock 'n Chase, Ladybug and even Wizard of Wor and Tower of Druaga. Maybe I'm just worrying over nothing, though.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ah. I haven't watched the Price is Right in a long time, but I swear the last time I watched it was called Pachinko.

I just asked the roomies and they had no idea what Plinko was but perfectly understood what Pachinko was. Either we're all weirdos or something's up.
Might have to do with me not bing from the US, but same here. I know the term Pachinko but have never even heard of Plinko or bean machine before. Then again, I mostly know what a pachinko machine is because of Mario Sunshine (you know what I mean).

greator

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
love the GCCX series. I've been waiting for this.

Yeah, punctuation and grammar is going to be real inconsistent for the moment. Also, the font doesn't have all the punctuation marks in half width format so I may have to use the double byte equivalent for them.

I was thinking of dropping the punctuation except for exclamation marks and apostrophes just for space reasons but maybe it can all fit in there. I also don't want the screen to be too cluttered in the text area.

Anyway, almost there. Once I finish the last 30 files we can all nail down the grammar and punctuation and wording, etc. Please understand priority one is just getting through the base files first. I didn't expect the volume of text for this mini game alone to be more than the rest of the game. This had taken months to work through all this text.

It's okay, this is how I work professionally anyway (as a translator...whenever I get stuck doing it for work); do a rough first pass then go through it all with a fine tooth comb a few times to bang it into better shape and then have a peer review where possible.

Thanks for all your input, by the way. It is being duly noted and should help greatly

The pachinko issue is...I'm still going to have to think about that but I have a bit more time (only a bit) before I have to make a decision on how to treat it. For the moment I think I'll leave it as pachinko and provide a supplementary FAQ for those interested along with other info like what games are based on what real world games and series/character FAQ and other goodness. The source/influencing games list for each mini game could get out of hand, though. Saying the Kung Fu game closely resembles the style of Karateka and Kung-Fu Master but something like Wiz-Man can easily said to be derived from Pac-Man, Lock 'n Chase, Ladybug and even Wizard of Wor and Tower of Druaga. Maybe I'm just worrying over nothing, though.

Just translate, dude. Forget all those localization for the westerners. It's Gamecenter CX game. We do not want Retro Game Master 2. If they didn't get it then so be it.
It makes your job easier and faster.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
love the GCCX series. I've been waiting for this.

Just translate, dude. Forget all those localization for the westerners. It's Gamecenter CX game. We do not want Retro Game Master 2. If they didn't get it then so be it.
It makes your job easier and faster.
"As long as I can understand it, who cares?"
Seriously though, just look at Another World for example - or me. Some people just want to play this because it looks interesting, not because they know everything about Gamecenter CX. I will agree that changing everything is unneccessary, but adding a small readme or something with notes for people who might not be familiar with the series is a good idea.

kikuchiyo

大阪に生まれた男
Trophies
Website
coin-battle.com
XP
Country
United States
but adding a small readme or something with notes for people who might not be familiar with the series is a good idea.

I agree with this. I don't think it's ideal, but I think we're hoping to remain relatively consistent with the Japanese game when it makes sense. If we're not changing the ADs, it doesn't make too much sense to change pachinko. We can include a readme and even link to wikipedia pages for the show, pachinko, etc.

That said, we'll probably need to start compiling a walkthrough anyway, for the testers. We could just distribute that, a la Mother 3, and that could explain the cultural stuff.

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
All right, I'm down to 19 files left to do. Almost there...

About the way the dialogue is shown, originally I tried leaving the squarish quotes from the Japanese text but I didn't like how it looked as a divider. I put in double spaces after each name for simplicity but I wondered if it would just be better if I put a colon and a space after each name.

Also, I indented the 2nd and 3rd lines by 5 spaces for legibility at first but I wonder if I can just stop that and have three solid lines per page, especially if I use a colon after the speaker's name.

When I finish with the initial translation I'll use a script to put all of my text into a single file so it is easier to search for multiple occurrences of something or track down which file contains what text.

Anyway, once I hit that point, then the fun starts.

Ah right, I should put the translated RPG text in to see how that game is coming along, too

I also notice the game descriptions on the selection screen need to be done but those are short.

Reactions: Mars_x

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Oh, GBATemp is back up!

Other than what I wrote above, I am down to 10 more files from the original 1020 and I did the game descriptions in the game selection screen both in the room and at the game shop. I also committed the last changes to the SVN repository.

And I notice I still don't have some of the in-game manuals done. That needs to be done too but at least with the Adventure games wrapping up I can work on finishing up a lot of these little things.

And in related news I already have people messaging me demanding I give them the alpha version patch. I guess this means more people are aware of what's going on. I'm just waiting for my first death threat over this now, ha!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9kE3Env_2AY?si=Bs6lUZ0ZIlqmYaGT +1