Tutorial  Updated

Full Stock to arm9loaderhax CFW Guide - Everything You Need to Know (Includes OTPHelper Now)

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

This guide includes information to get you from nearly any situation to full arm9loaderhax CFW.

If you appreciate this guide and the work I put into maintaining it, I accept donations through both Bitcoin and PayPal.

Last edited by Plailect,

cravas

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm going to be sarcastic now:

You were following a youtube vídeo and now that things went wrong, the vídeo creator told you to come ask for solutions on the thread that He copied the procedure???
You should have come here, in the first place, instead of following youtube guides.
[END Sarcasm MODE]

From what I saw, the vídeo copied what is here:
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/DSiWare-Downgrade

The only thing I didn't like, was the folder with the downgrade files. (They're both in the same folder)
Did you put the dgTool folder with both firm104_OLD.bin, firm110_OLD.bin, firm110_NEW.bin and firm104_NEW.bin on the root of the SD card?
Or did you used ONLY the one's for your console? (OLD for O3ds and 2ds, NEW for N3ds).

Go to that link and try to retrace what you did and see if you can find where you went wrong.

If you, at least, dumped your FIRMs, then not all is lost (I hope):
    1. Use dgTool to backup 3DS #2's firmware
    2. New 3DS: select "Dump F0F1_N3DS.bin"
  • Old 3DS: select "Dump F0F1_O3DS.bin"
  1. Make note of the firmware backup's location
  2. Exit dgTool
  3. Put your SD card in your computer, then copy F0F1_N3DS.bin or F0F1_O3DS.bin (depending on your device) to a safe location; make backups in multiple locations; this backup will save you from a brick if anything goes wrong

Yavai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm going to be sarcastic now:

You were following a youtube vídeo and now that things went wrong, the vídeo creator told you to come ask for solutions on the thread that He copied the procedure???
You should have come here, in the first place, instead of following youtube guides.
[END Sarcasm MODE]

From what I saw, the vídeo copied what is here:
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/DSiWare-Downgrade

The only thing I didn't like, was the folder with the downgrade files. (They're both in the same folder)
Did you put the dgTool folder with both firm104_OLD.bin, firm110_OLD.bin, firm110_NEW.bin and firm104_NEW.bin on the root of the SD card?
Or did you used ONLY the one's for your console? (OLD for O3ds and 2ds, NEW for N3ds).

Go to that link and try to retrace what you did and see if you can find where you went wrong.

If you, at least, dumped your FIRMs, then not all is lost (I hope):
Okay I have seen just that. The files you mentioned are in the dgTool folder, they are not in my root. All of them, also the back up created (i mean the dump firmware F1...) is there. There are a lot of things that weren't done in that case. One thing that I should add is that the console bricked is the one I was supposed to use to trasnfer the files, I wanted to make sure that the downgrade was safe so that I didn't brick my friend's New 3DS XL.

cravas

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You tried it in your O3DS? The one with CFW already?

If yes, what kind of CFW do you have? If A9LH, can you boot with START pressed or SELECT?

I have to say, this is going way out of my league. Maybe if you can go to #3DSHacks on Rizon with mIRC, there are people more knowledgeable then me.

[EDIT]
Can you post a Picture with the files/folders of you SD card?
[/EDIT]

Last edited by cravas, , Reason: Added other question

Yavai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay I have seen just that. The files you mentioned are in the dgTool folder, they are not in my root. All of them, also the back up created (i mean the dump firmware F1...) is there. There are a lot of things that weren't done in that case. One thing that I should add is that the console bricked is the one I was supposed to use to trasnfer the files, I wanted to make sure that the downgrade was safe so that I didn't brick my friend's New 3DS XL.
And I bricked my own N3DS XL, oh the irony (sorry I have to put some sense of humour on it at least) :) Thanks for the help by thw way, cravas
You tried it in your O3DS? The one with CFW already?

If yes, what kind of CFW do you have? If A9LH, can you boot with START pressed or SELECT?

I have to say, this is going way out of my league. Maybe if you can go to #3DSHacks on Rizon with mIRC, there are people more knowledgeable then me.

[EDIT]
Can you post a Picture with the files/folders of you SD card?
[/EDIT]
I had A9LH with Luma 6.0 installed. No, I can't start neither with Start neither with Select. it is a black screen. And here are the files that are on my SD card.

Attachments

• 3ds folder files.jpg
    3ds folder files.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 161

cravas

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Damn, as you put it, you used dgTool to rewrite your own A9LH firm with the ones from the dgTool folder.
Also, there should only be the ones for your console, not both.
Probably that's what made the brick (it used the OLD instead of the NEW).
Don't know if the tool checks if it's using the right ones or not.

Make a backup copy of the SD, just in case, to keep all files safe.
But, try to launch any payload (Hourglass9, Decrypt9WIP, etc) if you haven't yet.
Just trying to give you all options you might have.

If you have a sysNAND (that you must have if you made the A9LH) you can hardmod it back but try to go to #3DShacks and see if there's anyone with some other idea/solution.

For hardmod, if you can do it alone, great.
Otherwise, check here for vouched hardmodders and try to see the one better for you.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/list-of-hardmod-installers-by-region.414224/

Sorry not beeing more helpful and good luck reviving the 3DS, ;)

mikeabbo10

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

No i got that, But on my R4 SD card, I have Nothing. Nothing to run the Decrypt9.nds File.
Just comes up with a ? menu.

I think i need files for the r4 to be able to boot up?

cravas

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well,the guide say you need a Flashcard that Works with the 3DS.
I don't know much about it (r4 and whatnot), sorry.

I think there's a thread about flashcard and firmwares, see if you can find it.

evil_child

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey, ive been following this guide and so far everything went without problems.

However i am stuck at one step now and im not sure what to do :

If you are between 9.0.0 and 9.2.0, do the following:
What you need
  • The Homebrew Launcher and an installed entrypoint (such as menuhax)
  • The latest release of Decrypt9WIP

Instructions

1. Create a folder named files9 on the root of your SD card if it does not already exist
  2. Copy the Decrypt9WIP folder from the Decrypt9WIP zip to /3ds/ on your SD card
  3. Reinsert your SD card into your 3DS
  4. Check the system settings, you should be on 9.2.0
  5. Launch the Homebrew Launcher using the entrypoint of your choice (such as menuhax)
  6. Open Decrypt9WIP (This can sometimes take a few tries)
    • If you cannot launch Decrypt9WIP after many tries, you most likely have a partial downgrade and should redo Section II
You can now continue to Part 2 - 2.1.0 ctrtransfer.

At 4. Im stuck. My firmware is still 9.0.0-20E, ever since i began the process. I only setup the menuhax (down d-pad), just as the guide tells me to.

How do i make it 9.2.0 now? The guide specifically says if im between 9.0.0 and 9.2.0, which i am. So what do i do now? please help im a complete newbie :)

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do i make it 9.2.0 now? The guide specifically says if im between 9.0.0 and 9.2.0, which i am. So what do i do now? please help im a complete newbie :)
You don't need to. 9.0.0-9.2.0 are all effectively the same for this portion of the guide.

EDIT: As long as you can get into Decrypt9WIP, you should be fine.

evil_child

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey, its me again (sorry for doublepost...)

I have completed all steps in the guide now and I am guessing I am ready to use my newly hacked N3DS!

There was one step i skipped because, again, I wasnt sure if it was optional or not and (for me) the description was to vague..

In Part 3 of the guide (Section IV) it says the following:

Update your CFW SysNAND to the latest version using system settings (if it is not already)
  • If you copied a firmware.bin to /luma/ earlier, delete it after updating or you won't be able to boot

What exactly does that mean? My system version is now 9.0.0-20E again, since i have used my NANDmin.bin to restore back, after going down to 2.1.0.

Surely i cannot use the build in system updater from nintendo? (From my PS3/PSP experience, you never do that, else you void your CFW/brick) How exactly do i update to the latest CFW?

Is it even necessary? How do i know which CFW im running. (all i know is my current 9.0.0-E20 FW, but i dont know if thats custom or not. The guide says its CFW now, but I dont see any indication for it!)

PS. Are there any more steps i should do now? I do have my nandmin.bin backup, so i think im brick safe. But is there any other recommended steps from here on out? Any pointers would be nice :)

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I have completed all steps in the guide now and I am guessing I am ready to use my newly hacked N3DS!

There was one step i skipped because, again, I wasnt sure if it was optional or not and (for me) the description was to vague..

What exactly does that mean? My system version is now 9.0.0-20E again, since i have used my NANDmin.bin to restore back, after going down to 2.1.0.

Surely i cannot use the build in system updater from nintendo? (From my PS3/PSP experience, you never do that, else you void your CFW/brick) How exactly do i update to the latest CFW?

Is it even necessary? How do i know which CFW im running. (all i know is my current 9.0.0-E20 FW, but i dont know if thats custom or not. The guide says its CFW now, but I dont see any indication for it!)

PS. Are there any more steps i should do now? I do have my nandmin.bin backup, so i think im brick safe. But is there any other recommended steps from here on out? Any pointers would be nice :)
No it's not necessary to update, but I would recommend it.
And yes, you actually do update with system settings. With A9LH installed and a compatible CFW (everything that currently boots from A9LH except gateway) then it comes with FIRM write protection, which prevents system updates from overwriting A9LH. And your CFW and exploits will all still run in 11.0 CFW sysNAND (except arm9 .3dsx files, which can either be run at boot via chainloading or installed as a cia for certain apps)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If you followed the guide your CFW is Luma3DS, or just Luma for short.
As for recommendations for keeping your system safe, make a new backup anytime you are going to do anything "major" to the system, like install a system title. This will keep you from losing all of your games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they...