Gaming flashing a xbox360 (true earth en SATA question)

legendofninny

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
So I want to flash my 360 and have been readen tutorials and stuff for a while now. Well have been reading for two days, beter save then sorry. Guess i get the hang of it.

But I still got two small questions.

First, at the part where I have dismantled my xbox360. I have to connect the Dvd-drive (ODD) to my pc. I got onboard SATA (ICH7 Family) so that should work, but now i need i SATA cqable thing. Now what kinda cable do I need exactly? hope somebody could point me in the right direction. i don't want to buy a cable which is just not it an waste money.

Second, when botch machines powerup (pc an 360). You have to connect both machines with croc clips cause the pc is true earth and the 360 isn't or something. I'm not that famliar with croc clips so how do you connect them? Just clip em to the chassis of both machines? and with what are they connected?

Hope I can get this answered, thanks in advance.

Ooh one last thing would it be smart to wait until the 'New Xbox Experience' before I flash it?

Prime

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't know where you heard that but if you mean getting a shock then use a anti-static wristband.

You tie it around your wrist and put the little clip on something metal to ground yourself.

legendofninny

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
"The Xbox 360 uses a floating point ground. Your PC uses a “true earth” ground. This difference can cause excess voltage to travel through your SATA cable and potentially damage your Xbox 360 DVD drive or PC Motherboard / SATA card. Remedy this problem by connecting the Xbox 360’s ground to the PC’s ground. The easiest way to do this is by using a “croc clip wire” and connecting the Xbox 360 metal casing to your PC’s metal case. You can use anything conductive to connect the Xbox 360 case to the PC case - you could just tape some bare/stripped wire to each, or even just set the Xbox 360 next to the PC so that they are touching."

Thats what I mean, is it just normal metal wire or what? I wanted to know what exactly you need to connect both machines

Prime

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well if you want to be extra safety Just use crocodile clips. You get them cheap. Just clip one side to the pc's metal case and the other to the 360's metal case.

Simple.

neveras

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Or better yet and as was said, just push the two units together so they are both touching. Then you'll be golden.

Did my 360 not two days ago, been working like a charm.

legendofninny

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
guess i'll be doing both, push em together and croc clips.

And any advise on the NEw xbox experience thing.

And (yes there's more) is the torx 10 screw driver something really special scrap that just found out i already have a T.10 thats what i need right?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just to clear this up.

A basic sata cable should work. There is quite a bit of room inside xbox 360s

You do not need crocodile clips, they are just a simple way to make an electrical connection. Tin/aluminium foil will work (I usually use a bit of coax cable I ripped out of a TV cable) and even just making sure the case of the PC and the xbox connect.

Why this is advised.
There is no such thing as Voltage (stick with me for a minute). Voltage merely measures the difference in the ability to oxidise between two sources. Time, distance, mass* and so on are defined by universal constants while voltage is a relative thing (if I am at 10v compared to something else and you are at 12 there would be 2volts between us). 0V for the sake of debate is usually defined by the so called carbon electrode.

*be quiet those who have read an article like this http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/Issues/2...ningthekilo.asp

In a plug there are three connections; live (what has the power), neutral and ground aka earth (US plugs often combine the neutral and earth in case you were wondering). As an aside for those in the UK the top pin is earth and if the outside is all plastic and so unable to become live the earth pin does not have to conduct and can be made of plastic (plugs need it to open up so it is still there).

The "earth" connection connects to the earth (literally) and much like jumping up and down will not send the earth out of orbit your small voltage is not going to make any noticeable difference to the planet. The Xbox 360 on the other hand earths (grounds) itself (think heatsink if it is not sitting correctly in your head) rather than going to the planet.
Voltage will always take the path of least resistance and if the xbox has need of earth that least resistance may well be the sata cable. Needless to say pumping several hundred volts into the motherboard is not good for it.

Connecting the xbox to the PC means the xbox and the PC share an earth and the xbox now has a true earth.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Y @ YuseiFD: :creep: