ROM Hack Fire Emblem DS translation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

damole

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, hi Noitora! Glad to see you guys are still on the job!
biggrin.gif

aznanimefreak1

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
We're kind of one pause or on a break on this project for a little while until we fix some problems. Currently working on many projects such as inazuma eleven, dragonball.

rickz0rz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I looked at the file format that's used in the translation, and was pretty quickly able to make a way to dump the script in a more... proper fashion. The way you guys did it made it so you didn't have to adjust the tables used to reference text, but this constrained you with odd limitations in text size that make things harder to understand, and leaves you with a lot more space than you need in respect to some text, which is wasting valuable space, and not enough space in other areas... If you need more information, I'm here. It's not an incredibly complex thing, and I'm not even sure if it's something that has been talked about over the past 42 pages on this topic... but alas, it's something interesting. Here's a quick screenie:

picture1ii0.png

All that white-space after the text? For example... "Wi - Fi Mode Menu " can be used elsewhere, and it just feels a bit odd that you guys tackled the hard-part (the LZ77 compression of the files) and let the tables determine how your text is formatted...

Again, sorry if this has already been brought up, just thought it was a little... odd.

Noitora

::
Trophies
Website
www.noitora.eu.pn
XP
Country
Greece
I presume that file you are showing is the "system" one.
There were two people rom hacking on this project me and a guy named nehe32
I provided the info about the LZ77 compression and told him a few things about translating from Japanese with a hex editor.
The pointers are really weird and we can't do much things now...
Also I don't know why the heck he put spaces until he reached the end of the original string...

rickz0rz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Noitora said:
I presume that file you are showing is the "system" one.
There were two people rom hacking on this project me and a guy named nehe32
I provided the info about the LZ77 compression and told him a few things about translating from Japanese with a hex editor.
The pointers are really weird and we can't do much things now...
Also I don't know why the heck he put spaces until he reached the end of the original string...

Indeed that is. I'll dump the text a bit more and try re-compressing and inserting it (to clean up a few things with the translation I've noticed so far), and see how that goes. Just figured I'd inquire about this.
smile.gif
The table structure seems to be pretty simple, and if need be I can post the inner workings of it... just want to test a bit of it here.

This seems to be one of those projects where doing things with a hex-editor might not be so great, and where making a few tools to build the asset files from say, plain-text or XML files would help a little more.

rickz0rz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha. That's pretty much exactly what I had going on. Inteeeresting to know this. Only a few odd things I'm not so sure about with the pointer table itself and not quite explained by that post, but I'll figure it out eventually. With that, I'll probably get around to making a nice text dumper while I'm at it
biggrin.gif

Wait, nix that. I found what I was looking for. I swear, I'm secretly dyslexic or something... I was looking at the two values (text pointer, tag pointer.. at least, that's what I'm calling it) and had them flipped in my head, so trying to trace the two was getting me nowhere. Hahaha god
biggrin.gif

Noitora

Trophies
Website
www.noitora.eu.pn
XP
Country
Greece
rickz0rz said:
Haha. That's pretty much exactly what I had going on. Inteeeresting to know this. Only a few odd things I'm not so sure about with the pointer table itself and not quite explained by that post, but I'll figure it out eventually. With that, I'll probably get around to making a nice text dumper while I'm at it
biggrin.gif
And while you're at it take a look at the font, it is missing a few english letters and it not viewable with Tile molester as far as I know...

rickz0rz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Noitora said:
rickz0rz said:
biggrin.gif
And while you're at it take a look at the font, it is missing a few english letters and it not viewable with Tile molester as far as I know...

I just might. I have figured this out nicely, and have made a text dumper and am working on making a rebuilder that'll take the dumped file, rebuild it, and compress it. That post you referenced (I believe) put too much thought into how to do this--I believe so long as the tag is referenced by the correct text, all should be well. Too lazy to search the thread to see if this is really the case, but I'll test it to see if it works.
smile.gif

I'll examine the font stuff tomorrow and see what I come up with.

-----

Update time.

nmiy7.png

Dumper/inserter works pretty well. Noticed that for some reason, commas and periods are swapped around. I'll investigate what characters map to what, but I'm not sure if this is just because I'm using the same WIP patch as the base for what I've been doing. I added the alphabet as a form of a test and...

alhf6.png

It looks like all the letters/numbers I tested were there... do you mean non-English letters like ç, é, etc? I don't know if I'm going to test those, at least yet. Also, it's just like I suspected--so long as the 'tag' is referenced from the same table entry as the text, it doesn't matter which order they're in. At least, in my experience thus far. I know that the tools I made rearrange things a little bit. Also, bonus savings in the form of smaller files. I shaved something like half a kilobyte from the system file just from removing white space.

rickz0rz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're talking about the file font/talk I noticed something. I opened it up in a tile editor, and looked pretty odd. Small segment of noise in the middle with two areas that had, at least when viewed in GBA 4bpp mode, data aligned to the left.

Then it hit me.

This is isn't an ordinary graphics file--it has tabled data. Just looking at it in a hex editor seems to confirm my suspicion. I'll examine that a bit more later.

Noitora

Trophies
Website
www.noitora.eu.pn
XP
Country
Greece
rickz0rz said:
If you're talking about the file font/talk I noticed something. I opened it up in a tile editor, and looked pretty odd. Small segment of noise in the middle with two areas that had, at least when viewed in GBA 4bpp mode, data aligned to the left.

Then it hit me.

This is isn't an ordinary graphics file--it has tabled data. Just looking at it in a hex editor seems to confirm my suspicion. I'll examine that a bit more later.
hmmm...that's interesting I will take a look myself too
biggrin.gif

rickz0rz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The font file alpha appears to be setup the same way. This one, judging by the file name, holds at least 1 copy of the alphabet. I can't be sure until I dump the contents in a more readable format, but I'm at least seeing the alphabet in order followed by an address for each letter, so who knows
smile.gif
I'm seeing numbers between the actual letter and an offset that make it appear as though it's a width (for a VWF). Given that they're numbers bigger than the 5-6 pixels that seem to be normal for the small font (i'm seeing numbers averaging about 12-14), I have a feeling that this may be a big clue.

rickz0rz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still working on the table format for the font files. Had 0 sleep last night, so I think I'm going to check out for a while and probably work on it some more tomorrow.

For those who have ripped graphics from the game already, which format were they in? Did you have to add anything special to the files for Tile Molester? It's not my tool of choice generally, so any information that could speed it up would be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4