Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes demo first impressions

2h.png

The Switch makes me feel old. It’s been out for more than five years now with two revisions and so many fantastic games. Not only did we see three eras of Fire Emblem collide in 2017’s Fire Emblem Warriors, but three houses come to blows in 2019’s aptly named Fire Emblem Three Houses. Completing the rule of threes and marrying together the two existing Fire Emblem titles on the system, we now have Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes, a new Warriors title set in the universe of Three Houses, blending elements of both of its predecessors and coming out as what feels like a union that was made to be.

2022060817101200-0BA493FCDCF19E9FEE1D9B8EB13241BD.jpg

For those who missed the news, a demo recently released onto the eShop that’ll let you play the first few chapters of the upcoming Warriors game, with progress carrying over to the final release. You get around three hours worth of content along with the ability to make as many files as you’d like and replay a few maps to grind levels and class mastery if that’s something you’re interested in. Having just gotten as far as the game would let me with my man Claude and his Golden Deers, I wanted to share some initial thoughts and feelings as a devout fan of both Fire Emblem and Koei Tecmo’s Warriors games.

The plot is a little odd when compared to Three Houses. You play as a mysterious purple haired mercenary and come against a character referred to as the “Ashen Demon” for your first mission. This demon turns out to be Byleth, the protagonist of Three Houses, and after they wipe out all of your mercenary band, you vow to get revenge. You then meet up with the three lords: Claude, Dimitri, and Edelgard, and get invited to Garreg Mach Monastery as a student. The only real important part of academy life is picking your house, with a two year time skip happening after only a few battles. After this you’re in the nitty gritty of a civil war between the heads of the three houses, each leading one of Fodlan’s powerhouse countries. We’re not reinventing the wheel here; you basically have an expedited version of Three Houses’ plot with a larger focus of the game being set to the wartime that follows the time skip, which makes a lot of sense for a Warriors game. There is a slight disappointment to me that this seems to be more of a retelling than a supplement to the original game though. I have no doubt I’m going to enjoy getting to know these characters again, but I can’t help but feel there was a missed opportunity to just make a game out of Three Houses’ time skip period that would just slot nicely into the larger lore. Due to the nature of the story, expect rampant spoilers for Three Houses’ plot. While playing it doesn’t necessarily appear to be a prerequisite, it is something worth keeping in mind if it’s in your backlog and you’re considering grabbing this.

2022060817141500-0BA493FCDCF19E9FEE1D9B8EB13241BD.jpg 2022060817181600-0BA493FCDCF19E9FEE1D9B8EB13241BD.jpg

Looking to gameplay there’s a lot to like. To get this out of the way though, it’s a Warriors game. If you’ve played one, you’ll have a fundamental understanding of what’s on offer here, and if you don’t get on with the 1 vs 1000 style gameplay, this game probably won’t be the one to sway you. Having said that, it does a great job in iterating on what I would already call one of the best Warriors games, and does so by really seamlessly blending in elements of Three Houses. Where in the first Fire Emblem Warriors game you found your characters restricted to their relatively canon classes, Three Hopes throws caution to the wind and lets you decide how you want your characters to play. Somewhat in line with the modern mainline Warriors games where every character can equip any weapon but has preferences for certain types, Three Hopes brings in a familiar class system, along with both class mastery and promotion. To me this is probably the best way of handling Fire Emblem’s limited weapon options without completely breaking out and just making things up. The end result isn’t quite the same kind of character diversity you might have seen in the Hyrule Warriors games, but it’s a clear improvement on its predecessor. Classes manage to feel unique despite sharing weapons, and promotion and progression feels rewarding while keeping characters you like feeling fresh. The demo only gives you up to the first line of class promotions, so I’m excited to see how the later ones play out.

2022060817502100-0BA493FCDCF19E9FEE1D9B8EB13241BD.jpg

Much like the first Fire Emblem Warriors, you also keep some of the strategy elements from the main series, albeit somewhat expectedly scaled back. While you can only control a character at a time, you’re able to issue orders to your allies from the map screen. These can be moving to areas, interacting with objects, or attacking and defending a target. This can be incredibly useful in saving time on larger maps, allowing you to position units at key objectives and switching control to them to clear out a target, or even letting them handle it themselves if you're confident in the AI. Something that I believe is new to this game is the ability to have adjutants, that is being able to pair up units. This is something that’s been possible since the 3DS revival of the main series, so it’s great to see it in action here. Characters being paired up means they’ll team up for special attacks, occasionally defend each other, and be able to be switched out on the spot. This gives you a huge number of options and allows you to plan better for the game’s weapon triangle without having to trek back and forth or have a string of units ordered to defend each other. It’s seamless, and being able to call out an armour knight to take out lance foes while my speedy thief moves through the battlefield at pace feels great. The whole battlefield feels great, and appears to run well to my untrained eye. That isn’t to say the whole game runs well though.

2022060818241300-0BA493FCDCF19E9FEE1D9B8EB13241BD.jpg 2022060817274500-0BA493FCDCF19E9FEE1D9B8EB13241BD.jpg

Oddly, the game’s framerate absolutely tanks in the free roaming camp areas. For my life I cannot fathom why, it’s not as though the game is pushing any graphical limitations. I can’t figure it out, and while it really isn’t great, it is at least limited to areas of the game where you can fast travel to all the important bits. I haven’t noticed anything else while playing in both handheld and docked mode.

2022060817224000-0BA493FCDCF19E9FEE1D9B8EB13241BD.jpg

I think I’ll cut this short for now though. The demo has me far more interested than I was expecting to be; it was going to be a game I played a bit while I waited for Monster Hunter Rise’s Sunbreak expansion to drop, but it’s been bumped up my list considerably. I can’t wait to play more when the the game drops later in the month, and I’m excited to talk more about it when there’s frankly more to talk about. It won't cost you anything to try, so I really do recommend downloading the demo for yourself.

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This is the best Warriors game I've played so far and, impressively, they learned a thing or two after all the Warriors games the Switch has received. Frame drops, while existing, are barely noticing, compared to Age of Calamity.

Also the attetion to detail. Outside gameplay you could forget and think it's a Fire Emblem Three Houses sequel, polished by Intelligent Systems and Nintendo. The level of polishing in every feature the game has is simply unbeliveable.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just hope this game is optimized on Emulator the 1st FEW seems like it was just forgotten by the community since its still barely playable. Then again Emulation during its time was in the baby phase.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
OP
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is the best Warriors game I've played so far and, impressively, they learned a thing or two after all the Warriors games the Switch has received. Frame drops, while existing, are barely noticing, compared to Age of Calamity.

Also the attetion to detail. Outside gameplay you could forget and think it's a Fire Emblem Three Houses sequel, polished by Intelligent Systems and Nintendo. The level of polishing in every feature the game has is simply unbeliveable.
I’m still yet to go back to Age of Calamity. I really wanted to like it but it just chugs. Such a shame when the original Hyrule Warriors was so great.

Reactions: KiiWii

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I’m still yet to go back to Age of Calamity. I really wanted to like it but it just chugs. Such a shame when the original Hyrule Warriors was so great.
It was the other way for me. I tried so hard to like the original Hyrule Warriors since it was released on Wii U, then 3DS, then Switch. I played around 5 hours each version of the game, but I just couldn't get around to actually finish them. I liked the good FPS in the Switch version, but simply couldn't get to like the game.

Age of Calamity, on the other hand, trapped me in the first hour of gameplay. I frankly don't care about framerate, my TV isn't as good to actually notice it myself that much. But I like that in this version of Fire Emblem Warriors they actually cared about fixing framerate issues that could have existed before release.

I also liked that they took many gameplay elements from the first Fire Emblem Warriors game while also giving the Three Houses game a very good "kind-of" sequel in story and outside-battle activities.

Reactions: Scarlet

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the game preordered, but I no longer download demos, because they're stuck in your game list. I have like 188 games, all digital, so if I get a new system or something, I hate accidentally selecting the demos. I just have octopath and yoshi iirc.

Reactions: Halbour

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Named my main character "Hez" to make him sound more masculine than "Shez"; ugh.
I haven't finished the demo yet (only played the first two battles, getting to the camp), but the characterisation seems to be spot-on, and the gameplay is good. Not sure why they bothered bringing over Classic permadeath (in the full game, anyway), when that's always the worse option, but...

Oh, and there's no indication combat arts can level up prior to finishing the second battle and seeing the screen, which made me raise an eyebrow; could've used my arts more, if I had known that.

I wonder how promotion will work; I suppose each character would have preselected, linear progression, like the first FEW, instead of it being very much open-ended like Three Houses, but will "exams" be a thing? Or just collecting a Master Seal or something and using it in the menu at any time?

Scarlet

Onion Soup
OP
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Named my main character "Hez" to make him sound more masculine than "Shez"; ugh.
I haven't finished the demo yet (only played the first two battles, getting to the camp), but the characterisation seems to be spot-on, and the gameplay is good. Not sure why they bothered bringing over Classic permadeath (in the full game, anyway), when that's always the worse option, but...

Oh, and there's no indication combat arts can level up prior to finishing the second battle and seeing the screen, which made me raise an eyebrow; could've used my arts more, if I had known that.

I wonder how promotion will work; I suppose each character would have preselected, linear progression, like the first FEW, instead of it being very much open-ended like Three Houses, but will "exams" be a thing? Or just collecting a Master Seal or something and using it in the menu at any time?
You’re pretty free to pick your classes, with seals being used to promote on mastering the base class. It’s pretty much like 3H.

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have the game preordered, but I no longer download demos, because they're stuck in your game list. I have like 188 games, all digital, so if I get a new system or something, I hate accidentally selecting the demos. I just have octopath and yoshi iirc.
So, the "Delete Game" option doesn't remove them from the game list for you?

Reactions: Halbour

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I don't know where that option is. I've never seen such an option. why would there be?
delete.900x.jpg

Delete Software. The same as Archive Software, but icon is DELETED. Save data is still NOT TOUCHED. If you don't want to keep the demo's save data, just delete it from the Data Management Settings menu after removing the game.

Reactions: TaiTai and Halbour

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Sorry for pissing you off.

Anyway, nowhere in your post is a hint about talking about the eShop redownload list. Thought you were talking about your actual downloaded games list in your Switch.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry, sir. I was trying to be helpful, not offending. Have a nice day.

shouldn't it be obvious? I said game list.

• Haha
Reactions: RyRyIV

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
shouldn't it be obvious? I said game list.
I never think people is "stupid", just not as used to technology as some other are. There are no stupid questions when it comes to tech devices.

I do call "game list" to the games shown in the Switch main menu. If that's not the correct name, well, I'm wrong about it, and I'm the stupid, and it's alright.

Again, I wasn't trying to offend, just help. Please block or report me if you feel so.

Have a nice day.

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really like how much they've made it more challenging and balanced compared to FEW1.
  • Tougher enemies don't flinch as often.
  • The weak point gauge is much harder to bring up not to mention much more tanky to deplete.
  • The Musou/Warriors and Awakening gauges fill up slower, so they can't be spammed as much.
  • Pair ups/Adjutants were also nerfed and balanced.
  • The weapon triangle system is also more effective and balanced in some ways.
  • Units have multiple classes to class change into. Definitely feels more Fire Emblem-y.
  • Off-screen AI are slightly better for both allies and enemies.
  • More AI command options (especially All-Out Offensive and All-Out Defensive).
  • And much more.
Overall, it's definitely better than FEW1 in a lot of ways. I will miss feeling super OP like in FEW1, but I can always go back to that any time.

Last edited by NyaakoXD,

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For some reason fresh first party game from Nintendo is sorely missing. Why there is so much more new IP on WiiU than Switch is a puzzle.

Last edited by TomSwitch,

HinaNaru Cutie

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

The Switch makes me feel old. It’s been out for more than five years now with two revisions and so many fantastic games. Not only did we see three eras of Fire Emblem collide in 2017’s Fire Emblem Warriors, but three houses come to blows in 2019’s aptly named Fire Emblem Three Houses. Completing the rule of threes and marrying together the two existing Fire Emblem titles on the system, we now have Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes, a new Warriors title set in the universe of Three Houses, blending elements of both of its predecessors and coming out as what feels like a union that was made to be.

For those who missed the news, a demo recently released onto the eShop that’ll let you play the first few chapters of the upcoming Warriors game, with progress carrying over to the final release. You get around three hours worth of content along with the ability to make as many files as you’d like and replay a few maps to grind levels and class mastery if that’s something you’re interested in. Having just gotten as far as the game would let me with my man Claude and his Golden Deers, I wanted to share some initial thoughts and feelings as a devout fan of both Fire Emblem and Koei Tecmo’s Warriors games.

The plot is a little odd when compared to Three Houses. You play as a mysterious purple haired mercenary and come against a character referred to as the “Ashen Demon” for your first mission. This demon turns out to be Byleth, the protagonist of Three Houses, and after they wipe out all of your mercenary band, you vow to get revenge. You then meet up with the three lords: Claude, Dimitri, and Edelgard, and get invited to Garreg Mach Monastery as a student. The only real important part of academy life is picking your house, with a two year time skip happening after only a few battles. After this you’re in the nitty gritty of a civil war between the heads of the three houses, each leading one of Fodlan’s powerhouse countries. We’re not reinventing the wheel here; you basically have an expedited version of Three Houses’ plot with a larger focus of the game being set to the wartime that follows the time skip, which makes a lot of sense for a Warriors game. There is a slight disappointment to me that this seems to be more of a retelling than a supplement to the original game though. I have no doubt I’m going to enjoy getting to know these characters again, but I can’t help but feel there was a missed opportunity to just make a game out of Three Houses’ time skip period that would just slot nicely into the larger lore. Due to the nature of the story, expect rampant spoilers for Three Houses’ plot. While playing it doesn’t necessarily appear to be a prerequisite, it is something worth keeping in mind if it’s in your backlog and you’re considering grabbing this.

Looking to gameplay there’s a lot to like. To get this out of the way though, it’s a Warriors game. If you’ve played one, you’ll have a fundamental understanding of what’s on offer here, and if you don’t get on with the 1 vs 1000 style gameplay, this game probably won’t be the one to sway you. Having said that, it does a great job in iterating on what I would already call one of the best Warriors games, and does so by really seamlessly blending in elements of Three Houses. Where in the first Fire Emblem Warriors game you found your characters restricted to their relatively canon classes, Three Hopes throws caution to the wind and lets you decide how you want your characters to play. Somewhat in line with the modern mainline Warriors games where every character can equip any weapon but has preferences for certain types, Three Hopes brings in a familiar class system, along with both class mastery and promotion. To me this is probably the best way of handling Fire Emblem’s limited weapon options without completely breaking out and just making things up. The end result isn’t quite the same kind of character diversity you might have seen in the Hyrule Warriors games, but it’s a clear improvement on its predecessor. Classes manage to feel unique despite sharing weapons, and promotion and progression feels rewarding while keeping characters you like feeling fresh. The demo only gives you up to the first line of class promotions, so I’m excited to see how the later ones play out.

Much like the first Fire Emblem Warriors, you also keep some of the strategy elements from the main series, albeit somewhat expectedly scaled back. While you can only control a character at a time, you’re able to issue orders to your allies from the map screen. These can be moving to areas, interacting with objects, or attacking and defending a target. This can be incredibly useful in saving time on larger maps, allowing you to position units at key objectives and switching control to them to clear out a target, or even letting them handle it themselves if you're confident in the AI. Something that I believe is new to this game is the ability to have adjutants, that is being able to pair up units. This is something that’s been possible since the 3DS revival of the main series, so it’s great to see it in action here. Characters being paired up means they’ll team up for special attacks, occasionally defend each other, and be able to be switched out on the spot. This gives you a huge number of options and allows you to plan better for the game’s weapon triangle without having to trek back and forth or have a string of units ordered to defend each other. It’s seamless, and being able to call out an armour knight to take out lance foes while my speedy thief moves through the battlefield at pace feels great. The whole battlefield feels great, and appears to run well to my untrained eye. That isn’t to say the whole game runs well though.

Oddly, the game’s framerate absolutely tanks in the free roaming camp areas. For my life I cannot fathom why, it’s not as though the game is pushing any graphical limitations. I can’t figure it out, and while it really isn’t great, it is at least limited to areas of the game where you can fast travel to all the important bits. I haven’t noticed anything else while playing in both handheld and docked mode.

I think I’ll cut this short for now though. The demo has me far more interested than I was expecting to be; it was going to be a game I played a bit while I waited for Monster Hunter Rise’s Sunbreak expansion to drop, but it’s been bumped up my list considerably. I can’t wait to play more when the the game drops later in the month, and I’m excited to talk more about it when there’s frankly more to talk about. It won't cost you anything to try, so I really do recommend downloading the demo for yourself.

I 100% agree on your sentiment statement here;
There is a slight disappointment to me that this seems to be more of a retelling than a supplement to the original game though. I have no doubt I’m going to enjoy getting to know these characters again, but I can’t help but feel there was a missed opportunity to just make a game out of Three Houses’ time skip period that would just slot nicely into the larger lore.
While I was playing the game something felt completely off..the graphics on the character models look like a great update compared to those shiny "quality" ps2 bad graphics we had on three houses, I loved that it got upgraded, I also loved that the area looked to be more quality but a bit funky lol i took a screenshot of what I mean, will edit said comment later on to show an example *here*. However, the lack of the classical potrait artwork being the one that makes the expression for the characters really honestly bummed me out because imagine them taking it into a further step like otome games have it where the artwork of the character is alive and their lips move when they talk - that would have been great to see as the portraits instead of those tiny potrait side to the text box...like it's okay not hating on the artwork - no I just miss the old fire emblem potrait formula not into the 3d model having expression..cause last time lol gotta admit it be funny when the 3d models look like their drifting off while talking to your character.
Nonetheless the major thing that bugged me was what you mentioned..it just doesn't feel like fire emblem at all it feels like a market ploy...what I mean is..hmm..you know how mario golf got criticism for being an obvious unfinished, shelled of a 'game'? if you ever felt that feeling from a game series that you love, you will notice how fake it is..- I get this feeling with this game sadly, and not stating this without any context, I have noticed that ever since the creator of fire emblem the one now, has decided to switch to mobile...uhh the quality of the game console feels..empty ya know, it's why when I played three houses it didn't also feel like fire emblem even though it had its core strategy rpg element in it which I was super bugged that this one didn't at all and followed the warriors route..that really got to me because I was hoping for them to return to what made fire emblem enjoyable :D what made me get into these genre, but no..they just slapped us with three houses to only feel eh..not finished it felt off.
Like I love the new battle mechanic they added to the field that was great but even if it was new I knew something was off.

And I noticed it with this one too and it's because again they've been more focused on mobile that I feel like this isn't gonna be a good one for me, that isn't to state that I don't like warrior like series games - no I enjoy them as long as it feels good ya know? This game just doesn't feel good..it feels bleak, not pointing at its story I mean the feel of the game - I feel as though the development for it was bleak not made with passion rather it was made to just sell and keep the community quite ...to just say here something FE..and that sickens me.
I don't like when companies do this, I am fine with FE warriors the first time they did it seem like it was made with fun love but this time around feels corporate.

With that being stated, I really want a fire emblem game, not this, I miss fire emblem riches it had even though the SNES had that translation lmaoo either or..I would like to see something like the 3ds era.. but I don't think that is gonna come out anytime soon since I think the creator is too focused on mobile ...instead of their customers that got them to where they're at. Anyway that's all i got to state here..the game was nice but I just didn't feel it. Anyway I wanna know; am I the only one who believes that byleth isn't the bad guy rather the main character is, and you're just being mislead by the obvious bad guy that talks to you - the skinny guy with the white robes - I get that strong feeling he isn't good at all lol. Cause even though FE Three Hopes wasn't that great I care for byleth a bit and don't want to see them being a villian at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol