Final Fantasy VII Now On Steam

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To me it actually looks worse than the PSX version. With the high resolution (low poly) models on top of low resolution static backgrounds looks like shit. On the PSX it looks evenly shitty that it's acceptable, if I should be pessimistic. I haven't seen any mods myself, so I can't comment on that. Actually never heard of any mods until this thread, I'd really enjoy to look into that sometime. Sure, 12 bucks (for a download) is nothing compared to XX bucks (for a physical copy). I managed to get the black label PSX version (not platinum or anything) for 20 bucks. Complete, good condition.

Anyway, my comment on it looking awful is based on the promise of updated graphics, which were nowhere to be seen. And my initial frustration is that I bought some crippled downloaded version, when I could've waited for a steam version.

There's a huge community dedicated to modding the game. I feel gypped from getting off of SE's store instead of Steam.

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?board=24.0
It's just a cheaply re-ported game instead of a proper HD remake like the Vita got. Save your money.
Vita remake? No such game exists.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh? What filters/shaders does the PC release offer?

(the quality of the fan mods are... very questionable, and hit-or-miss. Which is surprising, as you'd think in a rampant fanbase, some individuals with the skill would dedicate themselves to enhancing and creating the remake that would never come)

Much like the Black Mesa Mod did for Half-Life. :)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
You know guys, I still have 3/4 of the discs for the PC version (there's an install disc, and I lost disc 2), and the install discs includes the Yamaha XG synth drivers, which make the MIDI sound have the same sound font as the PSX version. Or at least close enough that I can't tell the difference offhand.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know guys, I still have 3/4 of the discs for the PC version (there's an install disc, and I lost disc 2), and the install discs includes the Yamaha XG synth drivers, which make the MIDI sound have the same sound font as the PSX version. Or at least close enough that I can't tell the difference offhand.

Only issue is that you have to install a s**tload of mods to get that version running on 98 and above. The guides that tell you how are outdated and inconsistent.

Xarsah16

GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll consider buying this, but being right at the end of disc 2 on my psp it might not be worth it. I am such a fan of this game though that I collect all I can- I have the original discs, which i dont use, and tons of figures like my KH Sephiroth and both the OST and Piano collection which I bought in Japan... <3 it would be the third time I buy this game though.

I think my major question is, is the game available to run on Mac or PC only? I only allotted my Windows partition 1gb of ram since I barely use it for very light resource things.

It's just a cheaply re-ported game instead of a proper HD remake like the Vita got. Save your money.

I think JayRo means when the PSP/PS3 version got re ported to Vita.

M[u]ddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Never liked the "emulated" SoundBlaster soundfonts to be honest The original OST was how I liked it. I know about the graphics mods, I was referring to the PSX version, which the console was plagued with. PSX couldn't handle true 3D due to no z-buffering.
I know about the z-buffering issue and it's the one thing that bothers me the most when playing PS1 games. I was quoting you post additionally, to emphasize that this is one of the advantages of the PC version.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Anybody mention that this is just the 1998 version but modded by SE with a custom wrapper yet?

Way to lose the source code and push out a rush job, Square Enix.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anybody mention that this is just the 1998 version but modded by SE with a custom wrapper yet?

Way to lose the source code and push out a rush job, Square Enix.

It's Square Enix, to expect any less of them would be disastrous. Rather spend $12 for this than to spend $50 for a used copy. At least the game can be modded.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This game has only been "milked" like, four times? Original PS1, original PC release, PSN, and this re-release? Maybe one more thrown in there somewhere, my mind is cloudy right now. That's not to bad compared to the famous FF IV.

I just want some terra love in glorious HD...
500full.jpg

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This game has only been "milked" like, four times? Original PS1, original PC release, PSN, and this re-release? Maybe one more thrown in there somewhere, my mind is cloudy right now. That's not to bad compared to the famous FF IV.]

Once you start throwing in the never ending stream of prequels, film sequels, spin-offs, mobile tie-ins (FF VII Snowboarding, anyone?), remake teases, and everything in between... yeah, Square Enix has done all it can to stay in FF 7th heaven.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This game has only been "milked" like, four times? Original PS1, original PC release, PSN, and this re-release? Maybe one more thrown in there somewhere, my mind is cloudy right now. That's not to bad compared to the famous FF IV.[/spoiler]

Final fantasy VII has been remade a lot now. PSX, PC, PSP (Crisis Core), PS3 and this now. That's five times, it's been remade now.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Final fantasy VII has been remade a lot now. PSX, PC, PSP (Crisis Core), PS3 and this now. That's five times, it's been remade now.

Remade? Isn't PSN (PSP, Vita, PS3, whatever PSX classics can be played on) all the same exact version? If anything it is a re-release, but eh.
Crisis Core was a different game (a prequel, I think.)

Counting spinoffs, yeah, they've definitely excited many Cloud fetishists. :P

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Remade? Isn't PSN (PSP, Vita, PS3, whatever PSX classics can be played on) all the same exact version? If anything it is a re-release, but eh.
Crisis Core was a different game (a prequel, I think.)

Counting spinoffs, yeah, they've definitely excited many Cloud fetishists. :P

They're remakes. You can't play the PS3 remake on Vita or PSP.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This the PS3 remake.

I don't know how you can transfer saves between the PSX remake and PS3 remake.

this is the non existant ps3 remake, kthx

you could said they are milking the series of FFVII, with the mobile's, FFVII itselfs, movies, prequel and sequel (dirge of cerberus anyone?), KH cameos and w/e

yet this game got ported to... 2 devices besides the original? I can give you newer games that got ported into more devices that this one

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Sicklyboy, not that bad ig +1