Hacking Final Fantasy Type-0 RomHacking

Melhisedek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Been a while since I checked up on the progress of this.

Is it still on schedule for August 8th?

Worst thing (at least for me) about this is that I'm on vacation from 31. july to 14th August and without internet connection at that :( I was so hoping and planning that I would play this one on vacation but sadly it doesn't look like it. Still great job guys keep up the good work !!!

earlynovfan

Delusional
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Worst thing (at least for me) about this is that I'm on vacation from 31. july to 14th August and without internet connection at that :( I was so hoping and planning that I would play this one on vacation but sadly it doesn't look like it. Still great job guys keep up the good work !!!

Just look for some public places with free wifi? Honestly not sure how Sweden does that kind of thing. Here in the states, so many places have free wifi.

InfoAddict

Trophies
XP
Country
Worst thing (at least for me) about this is that I'm on vacation from 31. july to 14th August and without internet connection at that
frown.gif
I was so hoping and planning that I would play this one on vacation but sadly it doesn't look like it. Still great job guys keep up the good work !!!
Unlucky. For me it's a day before I go on holiday! The timing is perfect.

vkaraoke

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd love to hear more about why you think that - I'm not a fighting game nut, but I've put close to 200 hours in to the game so far (the 012 version) and it seems pretty well-balanced to me...

In defence of GKH, the single-player battles are a lot of fun. I have a menu-patched ISO of the game and between the combat and the gorgeous artwork I'd say it was worth playing even without multiplayer support. Having said that, I'd much rather see Berwick Saga or Persona 2 EP translated

Well, it looks like someone here on GBA has been working on a Grand Knights History english patch.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/grand-knights-history-english-patch-alpha-looking-for-help.365958/

Reactions: NinjaRic

SkyBladeCloud

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

Yup, I already had a look at it, and looks like Square Enix learnt the lesson: this time the game does use anti-mod meassures, but of course it could be translated. However, I have this feeling that it's just the non-cannon, rip-off, f2p version of type-0, so I'll pass for the time being.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Yup, I already had a look at it, and looks like Square Enix learnt the lesson: this time the game does use anti-mod meassures, but of course it could be translated. However, I have this feeling that it's just the non-cannon, rip-off, f2p version of type-0, so I'll pass for the time being.

Care to elaborate a bit on that with some details?
I understand why they would, though. The prospect of someone fixing the game not to need online/to be more balanced would endanger their shitty pay to win model.
Dunno about the text. Android emulation isn't big... so that means no emulators with debuggers.

icantfeelmyarms

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The dev of Type-0 and Agito has stated his interest in still releasing Type-0 in the west as a PSN game recently, because of course he was asked if Agito was coming to the west (which he also has an interest in releasing here). Seems like he's pretty serious about getting both T0 and Agito to the west... hopefully Sky can finish his patch before he gets a cease and desist or something... I already own the Japanese Type-0 and have pretty much beaten it already, but it'd be nice for everybody who hasn't played the game at least...

SkyBladeCloud

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Care to elaborate a bit on that with some details?
I understand why they would, though. The prospect of someone fixing the game not to need online/to be more balanced would endanger their shitty pay to win model.
Dunno about the text. Android emulation isn't big... so that means no emulators with debuggers.

Okay, take for example the file "font.pack", extracted from the game after its installation on an Android device, its raw data looks like this:

fladee.png

All .pack file like this always have 2 DATA subfiles, the first one is always smaller, which makes me think it must hold some kind of metadata from the big one.

Here we can see:

-32 bits header signature (ABBP)
-32 bit version (1)
-64 bit UNIX timestamp (in this case 0x53770616, which is Sat, 17 May 2014 06:47:50 GMT) you can also consider it a 32 bit timestamp + padding.
-64 bit file size
-64 bit Size of the first DATA chunk
-64 bit size of the second data chunk
-128 bit hash
-64 bit padding.

Then, for each DATA chunk:

-32 bit header signature (DATA)
-32 bit version (1)
-128 bit payload size
-64 bit data summary
-Payload.

How would one go and decrypt this? Well, Since the decryption will be done at native code level, one would install a native debugging server (android_server from IDA or gdbserver), then run the game in an android device (or emulator), and then attach a debugger in the server's active port. From there, you can actually debug the game's ASM code. Then, it would be a matter of finding where the game stores decrypted data, and add a write memory breakpoint there, once the breakpoint is triggered, one could actually trace the decryption asm routine. This is pretty much the same that I did in order to decode Type-0's custom encoding.

~Sky

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
How would one go and decrypt this? Well, Since the decryption will be done at native code level, one would install a native debugging server (android_server from IDA or gdbserver), then run the game in an android device (or emulator), and then attach a debugger in the server's active port. From there, you can actually debug the game's ASM code. Then, it would be a matter of finding where the game stores decrypted data, and add a write memory breakpoint there, once the breakpoint is triggered, one could actually trace the decryption asm routine. This is pretty much the same that I did in order to decode Type-0's custom encoding.

~Sky

That's... really awesome actually.
Didn't know even unknown systems like this could be debugged this way.
If you don't mind bearing with me a little more:

What's the assembly language used by Android? (and iOS, since they're apparently the same and iOS apps can be played on Android after a recent exploit)
PowerPC like the Wii/GC? mips like the PSP? ARM like Nintendo's post-2001 handhelds?

Can the PS3 be debugged (using real hardware)?

What led you to think Square bobby-trapped the game to prevent modding?

SkyBladeCloud

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, actually Android is well known, and in theory any process in a unix-based machine can be debugged like that. That leaves the PS3 out (and the PSP, but current emulators do have nice debuggers for the latter xD). Obviously official SDK's will include linkers to debug PS3 software straight from the hardware (maybe not from retail PS3, but from debug units).

As for the asm language, it depends on the Android device; said OS is available for x86, mips, and arm. ARM v7 devices are the most common nowadays, and Agito was compiled so it's only compatible for those (maybe in a future device they'll include support for x86, as for mips, I've never seen a commercial Android device with that architecture, only some boards).
Regarding the purpose of SE doing this, yeah, I think breaking this encryption would allow not only modding (including custom 3D like in dissidia, or a translation), but could open the door for online hacks, and who knows... maybe even a private server ;)

qaz015393

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im still waiting for your eng patch skybladecloud. Even if my phone is super slow when playing it, i still got my psp :)
Good luck

Blebleman

GBAtemp Old-Timer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I haven't played Agito yet. But someone told me over on the facebook page that you don't control the characters in the game. It just has touch control. Doesn't seem too appealing to me to hear that.

I can confirm that. It's an OK game. It's like a typical cellphone game but with a higher budget! Nothing worthy of translating if you want my honest opinion.

Reactions: LoyalZero1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 90K it's fine lol