Hacking Fail0verflow updated with alot of new info

Memfis

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Is there a way to contect Team Fail0verflow? I want to make them the suggestion to bring the vWii Mode to tablet as a new
challenge. No piracy on Wii U, but a great feature that Nintendo withholds us. I hope and I belive the Team can do that. (This Message)

gundalf

Trophies
XP
Country
Is there a way to contect Team Fail0verflow? I want to make them the suggestion to bring the vWii Mode to tablet as a new
challenge. No piracy on Wii U, but a great feature that Nintendo withholds us. I hope and I belive the Team can do that. (This Message)

Write them an email or even better just PM them on IRC.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I HIGHLY recommend checking Marcan's blog on espresso. The comments and responses reveal even more. Clarifies like something I thought and probably said; gamepad not available in vWii mode. Not sure if linux over vWii changes this though. I only read what Marcan/Comex say, sometimes what others post to them (and them in response) on twitter. Had a few thoughts but just emailed the man. Busy, little old me, worth a laugh, but figured we are all human and was curious about a few things. Probably thoughts of an idiot, way off, but that is how you learn; ask the experts.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I HIGHLY recommend checking Marcan's blog on espresso. The comments and responses reveal even more. Clarifies like something I thought and probably said; gamepad not available in vWii mode. Not sure if linux over vWii changes this though. I only read what Marcan/Comex say, sometimes what others post to them (and them in response) on twitter. Had a few thoughts but just emailed the man. Busy, little old me, worth a laugh, but figured we are all human and was curious about a few things. Probably thoughts of an idiot, way off, but that is how you learn; ask the experts.

Now I'm curious, it would be best of me to do some research, try to find out about the hardware and OS of this console.

Quincy

Your own personal guitarist :3
Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Abort, Retry, Hack? doesn't have anything on Espresso...

http://marcansoft.com/blog/

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now I'm curious, it would be best of me to do some research, try to find out about the hardware and OS of this console.
Yeah, but at this point, other than reading, there is not a LOT you or I could do. Others with a lot of coding experience are working on Wii and others I do not know of (maybe working, maybe not). I wrote to Marcan and doubt he would read it and highly doubt it would warrant a response. I had an interesting view on development. I get why he does not want Wii U exploit out. However, that is already happening. So, people get bogged down drying to make "stuff" to get homebrew going for vWii that can use three CPU cores.

1.) No gamepad as Wii U side of GPU is not used (confirmed by f0f blog itself).
2.) Piracy already out and once released and cloned (WiikeyU), that will become more prevalent.
3.) IS it possible to produce homebrew and apps with what is already there in the Wii U? Drivers there, device access there, gamepad access there, etc.

I don't know enough for #3 but was thinking, since piracy will already exist, only thing the Wii U mode remaining locked will do is make homebrew take a lot longer to get into.

Wii stuff is already out and worked on, and being ported to vWii (when/where necessary). People still work on this, and hell, they still work on GC emulation/tools/loaders. Liboc or whatever that is for Wii has been worked on for years and years.

A lot of people with the know-how are working quietly OR like Marcan said, 31 had info but have not released anything. Not sure if linux in vWii is being worked on either. Not sure with hole Marcan did share. May be nobody is working on it (just don't know).
IF all the stuff for meaningful homebrew that goes beyond Wii (or vWii with Wii U processors) will require Wii U anyway, it may be devs will simply not bother until that is opened up. ESPECIALLY if more needs developed. I wanted to ask if the stuff to dev for Wii U would be easily available if Wii U mode were unlocked.

I don't know, and am not sure anyone outside of people like Marcan know for sure. "Oh, yeah, can do this, then this, and the driver is there so need the call here, we could run apps to access those things, here like this." Probably not like this, but I wanted to ask THIS. Sort of asked Comex in PM, wrote to Marcan to ask. This is curiosity here, an ignorant guy curious about it. My frame of reference is 360. Alternative dashboard, or stock dashboard with the "Locks" removed. People said they did not use "Official SDK" for 360 but seriously, does it matter? Unlock, let people make their own apps and tools, and if the FRAMEWORK is there and does not need to be built from the ground up, why not?

IF the process still must be done and Marcan is leading with pieces of cheese then this is all silly. In my neophyte view though, if one can access everything, turn locks off, pieces are there, lol, can they not just be "Taken"? Roms on Android phones; drivers are there, they just take stock (MOST TIMES) or base Android version, and can tweak kernels, themes, built in apps, etc. This is kind of what I am thinking. If we can get root, or definitely UNLOCK the bootloader (analogy here), then people could do anything from linux for entire Wii U, maybe even dual boot linux and primary OS, or just HBC and see if devs want to go to work. People on blog had good points; piracy will happen. I BET somebody will take what Marcan gave, then go about it to get those things they want. Creative people out there in the world. If people want to dev, they probably want to express themselves but lack ability to make groundwork. Those who did that for Wii do not seem interested in Wii U (that I can see).

This is not a knock on anything, and if I am wrong, hey, even having Wii U mode unlocked would be meaningless for devs. I am naive but genuinely curious. Might get reply from experts but I am just little old me.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Marcan was kind enough to clarify on how the CPU works in vWii mode and how the architecture, while certainly old, isn't as bad as people say it is and outperforms the Xbox's CPU in many ways. I gotta read that response again.

For number crunching, it should help with homebrew stuff, like emulators.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How much time? No clue. Ideas and theories in my head but proves nothing.

Things like this usually come out of nowhere but are welcome surprises nonetheless. There may be a usable hack before the 3DS hack gets released, but then again, it's adventure. I'm gonna sit back and enjoy the ride B-) Okay, but in the mean time, I'll do research on....well, something program-related.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Things like this usually come out of nowhere but are welcome surprises nonetheless. There may be a usable hack before the 3DS hack gets released, but then again, it's adventure. I'm gonna sit back and enjoy the ride B-) Okay, but in the mean time, I'll do research on....well, something program-related.
Check out Maxternal's 3 core thread. Comex helped, another person stopped in. I am, cheering from bench.

Memfis

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
There´s an update on Fail0verflow´s Blog. They say, that if anyone port Linux to vWii (or Wii U?) they will rethink to do more.

I also had a nice talk with marcan last night because of my idea to bring vWii on tablet. He explains me a lot a and say, that this is only possible if the Wii U-Mode is hacked.

[05:27] <Memfis> thats a vicious circle. No access to system for homebrew develop, no developers to develop homebrew
[05:28] <marcan> I gave people an escape: port Linux to the Espresso with SMP and that will demonstrate that there are developers interested enough.
[05:29] <Memfis> oh. if someone port linux to wii u, than Fail0verflow will do more for homebrew?
[05:30] <Memfis> but why should someone do this?
[05:30] <marcan> because Linux is the logical platform for Wii U homebrew
[05:31] <Memfis> hmmm
[05:31] <Memfis> dont know enough. I´m only a user
[05:32] <Memfis> I only had an idea
[05:32] <Memfis> but it seems I must acepept, that this idea (and dream) never will be true
[05:34] <marcan> actually, playing wii games on the wiiu gamepad will be easy pretty soon
[05:34] <gruetzkop> the better questions is: how do you know that linux on espresso in SMP is possible?
[05:34] <marcan> just not on a wiiu :P
[05:34] <marcan> it's a lot easier to just talk to the gamepad from a PC running Dolphin :P
[05:34] <marcan> gruetzkop: because it has already been ported by IBM.
[05:34] <gruetzkop> to this precise chip?
[05:34] <marcan> yes.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Diablokiller999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wish I could get more information about how to hack into Hardware.
Have decent skills in C/C++, Assembler and VHDL / FPGA programming but a huge lack of imagination how to use it to get into Systems :(
Would love to hear some stories from marcan, how he came up with the idea to do console hacking and where he got inspiration from...

papermanzero

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
To be honest i would love to have access to the full power of the wiiU.

I would prefer a WiiU instead of a Media PC in the living room (due to energy consumption and loudness) and I disagree with marcan concerning the "WiiU is not special and unique enough". The Gamepad and the Wiimote in combination with the hardware power makes the system extremely interesting and I would love to develop software on it (e.g. to test some ideas)

Software like Media Players which can be controlled with the UPad would be attractive.
Imagine WiiMC with H264 and streaming capabilities. Navigate on the UPad or control the movie with the WiiMote.
Emulators (MSX, ScummVM, Atari, AMIGA...) would have a benefit too (e.g. keyboard on the PAD and easier keymapping of buttons).
Apps which are using the DualScreen Feature of the WiiU effectively. Means optimized Internet Browser, mail clients, instant messaging, PDF/ebook Readers...

With HD support (720p/1080p) and full access of the WiiU hardware (TriCore CPU, GPU, RAM) Developers can proof how creative they can be.
The Multiscreen feature with the wiimote adds a lot of possibilities which should be used.

However I agree with marcan, that many people would abuse the Homebrew Feature for pirating games (especially new WiiU games), which is a pity.
If an ecosystem for the WiiU is coming out (I hope this will be the case in some day) the first approach should be to avoid (as a first step) piracy of WiiU games.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I would prefer a WiiU instead of a Media PC in the living room (due to energy consumption and loudness)
With HD support (720p/1080p) and full access of the WiiU hardware (TriCore CPU, GPU, RAM) Developers can proof how creative they can be.
HTPC, dude. It's a category of computer specifically created to be a home theater thing while not being big and loud and power-sucking like a standard desktop computer.... and even if you're buying prebuilt, they're available cheaper than the Wii U.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883218010
$158, which is over $100 less than the Wii U's basic model (though it needs storage like the Wii U anyway).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103785
$225, 320GB harddrive, keyboard and mouse included.

etc.

This is one of the reasons modern devs don't have as much interest in hacking consoles as they used to. You can get an HTPC or something like it for a hundred bucks cheaper than even the base model of the Wii U, and you don't need to hack shit to get it working (unless you go Ubuntu, hardy-har).

EDIT: And of course I have to mention that softwares like WiiMC and such are most often ports of PC software in the first place, often with features cut.

Warlord698

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest i would love to have access to the full power of the wiiU.
Emulators (MSX, ScummVM, Atari, AMIGA...) would have a benefit too (e.g. keyboard on the PAD and easier keymapping of buttons).

lets not forget DS emulators as well, this would be the perfect platform for those

HTPC, dude. It's a category of computer specifically created to be a home theater thing while not being big and loud and power-sucking like a standard desktop computer.... and even if you're buying prebuilt, they're available cheaper than the Wii U.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883218010
$158, which is over $100 less than the Wii U's basic model (though it needs storage like the Wii U anyway).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103785
$225, 320GB harddrive, keyboard and mouse included.

etc.

This is one of the reasons modern devs don't have as much interest in hacking consoles as they used to. You can get an HTPC or something like it for a hundred bucks cheaper than even the base model of the Wii U, and you don't need to hack shit to get it working (unless you go Ubuntu, hardy-har).

EDIT: And of course I have to mention that softwares like WiiMC and such are most often ports of PC software in the first place, often with features cut.
yeah, but those won't exactly be the best "consoles" to game on
if you would be able to use an app on your Wii U to play all your media then you also wouldn't have to take up the extra HDMI (or for some people having to do a specific setup for RCA/Component, hell I didn't get an HDTV til last year), or power ports, then why take up the space with another system?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy