the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, we are actually WAY off topic now
(so, about them PowerPC cores ... )

Yes, they need to be utilized when homebrew apps are programmed , the problem is that how the work and how they're implemented is trick, but it seems Marcan can tell anyone who's willing to ask him how to, or some kind of workaround. I don't know, maybe I misread what he said, but it looks as though getting this rolling no longer is a pipe dream. Whether the whole motivation for hacking closed consoles has hit a dead end or not, that remains to be seen, but if it is doomed to oblivion, it might as well go out with a bang, right?

Before anybody decides to get a Wii Mini... no SD slot, which means none of the existing hacks work on it, and nobody has announced any plans to make one.
That's pretty sad, the Wii Mini is for a very limited niche market, and even then, I don't know anyone who would get this over a normal model, unless they were on a very limited budget :P

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did somebody confess to being at or at least working at a place for sex offenders? Yeah, so a restrictive "jail"/"prison" type of environment. I don't get the lack of internet though. I cannot believe the Mini was made JUST for prison type environments. Lol, so you eliminated hacks for a system not even really wanted now, big deal. So somebody was saying this hack is only for vWii mode. I would be though, the "initiated" could use this to get to the Wii U mode. At least some homebrew but I am thinking if Wii U mode was opened up, the official sdk could be used (or drawn upon) and other "stuff" like dynamic linking Comex mentioned, and would save a LOT of effort developing what Marcan mentioned.

Or does that need to be developed for Wii U mode also? Might be misunderstanding that.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did somebody confess to being at or at least working at a place for sex offenders? Yeah, so a restrictive "jail"/"prison" type of environment. I don't get the lack of internet though. I cannot believe the Mini was made JUST for prison type environments. Lol, so you eliminated hacks for a system not even really wanted now, big deal. So somebody was saying this hack is only for vWii mode. I would be though, the "initiated" could use this to get to the Wii U mode. At least some homebrew but I am thinking if Wii U mode was opened up, the official sdk could be used (or drawn upon) and other "stuff" like dynamic linking Comex mentioned, and would save a LOT of effort developing what Marcan mentioned.

Or does that need to be developed for Wii U mode also? Might be misunderstanding that.

I thought it was using Wii U features in vWii mode, like enabling the other two CPU cores for raw number crunching, which would have a phenomenal performance boost. I'm going to have to read his post again. Libogc can't be used, so another environment would have to be coded as a base for the apps, and that Linux could be used and have drivers used for the GPU, audio, etc. Ubuntu on the Wii U would be a programmer's dream come true.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought it was using Wii U features in vWii mode, like enabling the other two CPU cores for raw number crunching, which would have a phenomenal performance boost. I'm going to have to read his post again. Libogc can't be used, so another environment would have to be coded as a base for the apps, and that Linux could be used and have drivers used for the GPU, audio, etc. Ubuntu on the Wii U would be a programmer's dream come true.
Lol, yeah, but I would not be upset if I saw HBC running on Wii U menu;-) Straight rock 'n roll. BUT, Marcan won't give that and I understand why. It would save all the headache though. This is basically what Megazig told me the release would be; linux over vWii. IF it can be brought up. WHAT I don't grasp is Marcan posted on here, in a thread, and said "sysprot" or something like that prevented their idea, and so play B or "standard release" would happen.

NOT being negative but more thinking about it.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol, yeah, but I would not be upset if I saw HBC running on Wii U menu;-) Straight rock 'n roll. BUT, Marcan won't give that and I understand why. It would save all the headache though. This is basically what Megazig told me the release would be; linux over vWii. IF it can be brought up. WHAT I don't grasp is Marcan posted on here, in a thread, and said "sysprot" or something like that prevented their idea, and so play B or "standard release" would happen.

NOT being negative but more thinking about it.

Of course, but we can't rule out the possibility of homebrew altogether, whether Marcan does it or not, someone else will, it's inevitable. I'd love to believe that it will be done, but probably not in the way we envision it happening. I'm trying to be more positive about it. :P

Reactions: Ray Lewis

comex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least some homebrew but I am thinking if Wii U mode was opened up, the official sdk could be used (or drawn upon) and other "stuff" like dynamic linking Comex mentioned, and would save a LOT of effort developing what Marcan mentioned.

To some extent it doesn't matter. If nobody can be bothered to implement what marcan described, what knowledgeable people exactly would come out of the woodwork and develop interesting things for Wii U mode if that were available? It would take a lot of reverse engineering and other work to do much interesting, no matter what.

Of course I'm just impatient - I guess it'll probably get implemented eventually.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To some extent it doesn't matter. If nobody can be bothered to implement what marcan described, what knowledgeable people exactly would come out of the woodwork and develop interesting things for Wii U mode if that were available? It would take a lot of reverse engineering and other work to do much interesting, no matter what.

Of course I'm just impatient - I guess it'll probably get implemented eventually.

Not that it is huge or would even be read but I sent you a PM Comex. Thanks for stopping in. You have always been a very cool, very real person. I finally saw a pic of Marcan while searching the internet for progress and he is not what I imagined. I imagined longer hair, dark hair, and with "Hector Martin" I pictured some Hispanic dude sitting in Mexico, in a bunker, just hiding out. JOKING, but could not resist.

comex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not that it is huge or would even be read but I sent you a PM Comex.

I did not receive any PMs.

I finally saw a pic of Marcan while searching the internet for progress and he is not what I imagined. I imagined longer hair, dark hair, and with "Hector Martin" I pictured some Hispanic dude sitting in Mexico, in a bunker, just hiding out. JOKING, but could not resist.

wat

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did not receive any PMs.

wat
It shows the PM was sent, just like 5 minutes ago. About Marcan, I was browsing around and some site spoke about Marcan's blog and Wii U hacking then it showed a picture of a dude sitting in front of a computer screen, white guy, short hair. Don't feel like finding it. Might not be him but they presented it like it was him. I always pictured him having long hair, lol, wearing a black hood, in some underground bunker. Only joking Comex. There are a lot of talented guys out there for freedom in devices (I know, must balance with harm done in full releases), and I am always amazed. Never seen Dan Rosenberg in Android scene. Maybe the pic of Marcan was a fake or old.

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Yes that is what Marcan looks like.. Im surprised you hadn't put a face to the person yet (as you seem to have a mancrush on him) and super surprised you havent made the effort to watch the 24c3 25c3 presentations from TT, he is 1 knowledgeable guy, also If you want to see a picture of Dan, you can use google :yayps3:

Or for the Marcan folder
http://bork.informatik.uni-erlangen...5c3-2799-en-console_hacking_2008_wii_fail.mp4

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never knew.
Yes that is what Marcan looks like.. Im surprised you hadn't put a face to the person yet (as you seem to have a mancrush on him) and super surprised you havent made the effort to watch the 24c3 25c3 presentations from TT, he is 1 knowledgeable guy, also If you want to see a picture of Dan, you can use google :yayps3:

Or for the Marcan folder
http://bork.informatik.uni-erlangen...5c3-2799-en-console_hacking_2008_wii_fail.mp4

New bounty; bribe Dan Rosenberg to talk with Marcan. Maybe Dan can take up same views with phone roots/unlocks, or he could change Marcan's views. Joking, relax. Only saw. Mega man from twitter; not sure about other pics. Pm to Comex looked to be unread. Somebody have good news? Bored, not being a twittard and nothing to bicker about:-(

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol, weak on PS3 history. I can see that, if feature was explicitly promised/advertised. If company revises and it is not under those conditions, I don't think a judge could find against company. Need to check court cases but "At first glance"...lol.

It was dismissed in the courts here in the states, but I can't recall what happened to the case in the UK. As I recall, there was more hope it would do something over there as their laws make what Sony did blatantly illegal.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last I checked, the courts said that since it happened outside the warranty period, Sony wasn't responsible.

The removal of those features didn't make sense and still doesn't. If it was to discourage the possibility of piracy, boy they failed hard :rofl2:

Getting back on track, how 'bout them Wii U hacks?

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The removal of those features didn't make sense and still doesn't. If it was to discourage the possibility of piracy, boy they failed hard :rofl2:

Getting back on track, how 'bout them Wii U hacks?
A person posted a vid on Comex' twitter about reversing the Wii U gamepad. It was using a 360 controller to play Wii U games, lol. Find Comex' twitter, it is on there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: Hi how is everyone doing?