Hacking Fail0verflow updated with alot of new info

rednekcowboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
HTPC, dude. It's a category of computer specifically created to be a home theater thing while not being big and loud and power-sucking like a standard desktop computer.... and even if you're buying prebuilt, they're available cheaper than the Wii U.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883218010
$158, which is over $100 less than the Wii U's basic model (though it needs storage like the Wii U anyway).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103785
$225, 320GB harddrive, keyboard and mouse included.

etc.

This is one of the reasons modern devs don't have as much interest in hacking consoles as they used to. You can get an HTPC or something like it for a hundred bucks cheaper than even the base model of the Wii U, and you don't need to hack shit to get it working (unless you go Ubuntu, hardy-har).

EDIT: And of course I have to mention that softwares like WiiMC and such are most often ports of PC software in the first place, often with features cut.

But an htpc won't play wiiU games......

There is a reason why there are still consoles on the market and most people don't keep their last gen console once a new gen of consoles comes out.....

Reactions: Ray Lewis

papermanzero

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
htpc has also not the power of the WiiU.
As said the whole system makes the WiiU attractive.
GamePad + good Hardware + Wiimote combined together.

The Acer HTPC for 225$ has a harddrive, keyboard and a mouse but no GamePad and less powerful hardware.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
htpc has also not the power of the WiiU.
As said the whole system makes the WiiU attractive.
GamePad + good Hardware + Wiimote combined together.

The Acer HTPC for 225$ has a harddrive, keyboard and a mouse but no GamePad and less powerful hardware.
Easier to unlock, better processor, better GPU, faster ram, greater selection available of apps/games, can do everything Wii U can do and is cheaper. Now there are actually devices that are portable and accomplish what homebrew can right out of the box.

Easier to go that route then to unlock Wii U mode as nobody wants to develop on Wii U. No SDK to develop homebrew with. This sums up where it is at. You won't get past this do save typing, don't get negative and don't try kindness.

If you can code in programming languages, or have Linux knowledge, maybe you could help those who bare trying to at least get 3 cores working with Linux in vWii mode. Even if that succeeds, there is no guarantee those with the unlock will give it out. Linux in that most is said to be a good dev base.

Now, either hope for or get another group to hack Wii U, or this is it. WiikeyU should be released eventually. Backup games to hard drive, play off hard drive; piracy only. Allegedly it blocks homebrew also. The unlocks also won't be released because reversing/taking from Wii U mode never happened before (sarcasm but not flaming) and would only promote piracy. The wiikeyu is expected to be $70+ if not twice that by some "guestimates" and is only for piracy.

I highly doubt you could annoy those with the info more than I have so accept this is the full sum of this scene. You can argue all you want about hardware differences but it will fall on indifferent eyes, lol.

If you have skills and/or connections, see Maxternal's 3 core thread. We may be monkeys working with no guarantee of bananas even if we succeed. Oh, and no flaming. One group has all the cards and that is it;-)

papermanzero

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Easier to unlock, better processor, better GPU, faster ram, greater selection available of apps/games, can do everything Wii U can do and is cheaper. Now there are actually devices that are portable and accomplish what homebrew can right out of the box.

Easier to go that route then to unlock Wii U mode as nobody wants to develop on Wii U. No SDK to develop homebrew with. This sums up where it is at. You won't get past this do save typing, don't get negative and don't try kindness.

If you can code in programming languages, or have Linux knowledge, maybe you could help those who bare trying to at least get 3 cores working with Linux in vWii mode. Even if that succeeds, there is no guarantee those with the unlock will give it out. Linux in that most is said to be a good dev base.

Now, either hope for or get another group to hack Wii U, or this is it. WiikeyU should be released eventually. Backup games to hard drive, play off hard drive; piracy only. Allegedly it blocks homebrew also. The unlocks also won't be released because reversing/taking from Wii U mode never happened before (sarcasm but not flaming) and would only promote piracy. The wiikeyu is expected to be $70+ if not twice that by some "guestimates" and is only for piracy.

I highly doubt you could annoy those with the info more than I have so accept this is the full sum of this scene. You can argue all you want about hardware differences but it will fall on indifferent eyes, lol.

If you have skills and/or connections, see Maxternal's 3 core thread. We may be monkeys working with no guarantee of bananas even if we succeed. Oh, and no flaming. One group has all the cards and that is it;-)

The point is: it cannot do what the WiiU can do!
1) It's expensive
2) It's a low cost CPU (which is weaker)
3) No Multiscreen support
4) No HDMI
5) it's consuming more energy

How do you wanna know that nobody wants to develop for the WiiU?
I know several persons who wants to do things for it. Also I would like to test some ideas.
However I don't have the time to analyse the system in details.

I don't want to backup games, I would like to create apps for a device which is unique in it's characteristics.

I am only saying: This is marcans opinion but it's only an opinion of one guy. He is not reflecting the opinion of other devs or persons.

rednekcowboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1) It's expensive
4) No HDMI

I know several persons who wants to do things for it. Also I would like to test some ideas.

I don't want to backup games, I would like to create apps for a device which is unique in it's characteristics.

I am only saying: This is marcans opinion but it's only an opinion of one guy. He is not reflecting the opinion of other devs or persons.

If you have some ideas and know some people, please contact Maxternal via PM. There are people working on things but they need help....

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WiikeyU should be released eventually. Backup games to hard drive, play off hard drive; piracy only. Allegedly it blocks homebrew also.
WiikeyU won't block homebrew. The WiiU itself does that. WiikeyU just does not to circumvent those blocks (it most likely can't, due to the very nature of how it works).
1) It's expensive
4) No HDMI

1) It's not that expensive. It has already been pointed out that there are HTPCs cheaper than the cheapest WiiU model.
2) Well, they're not gaming devices, so that shouldn't be especially important. They are more than capable of handling the tasks they're actually designed for (media playback mainly, maybe some web browsing and a few casual games)
3) There are a veritable plethora of tablets out there; all it would take is for someone to actually develop some software to interact with some of them. Seeing as there aren't really many projects like that, I guess this just isn't as enticing an opportunity to developers as you might think...(And don't talk about trying to support multiple OSes etc.; targeting a combo of Windows PC + Android tablet would net a far greater audience than anything on the WiiU is likely to get)
4) There are plenty of HTPCs out there, or you can custom build one, you're bound to able to find or build one with an HDMI port if that's essential
5) HTPCs are designed to be low power. They might consume a bit more than the WiiU, but it's probably not a significantly greater amount.

EDIT: As for the topic of lack of interest in developing for the WiiU; how about the fact that no one who actually has the skills and knowledge to do so has bothered trying to do anything with the info fail0verflow released?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
1) It's expensive
Learn to read. Both models I linked are cheaper than the Wii U, one of them is $130 less.

The second one has a Celeron 887, which is actually slightly more powerful than some Core i3 models.

Depends on the model. PCs have had multi-screen support since like Windows 98.

4) No HDMI
Depends on the model again. Computers have had HDMI since before consoles.

Again, depends on the model. The HTPCs are often less energy-hungry due to lacking a dedicated GPU.

As for not gaming, the complain I was responding to didn't mention gaming. It mentioned media and homebrew.

papermanzero

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It's not cheaper.
You cannot compare a HTPC with the WiiU so easily.
If you want the Multiscreen Feature of the WiiU you have to buy a Tablet or the Gamepad of the WiiU.
So it's in the same price range + you have to adjust the HTCP to interact with the tab which is also a cost/time factor.
All in all -> Low Power Device which doesn't support Multiscreen
Furthermore we are facing the second disadvantage "it depends on the model".

However you don't understand my post (so please learn to read and think):
A HTCP doesn't support the feature set of the WiiU.
The system features are different and so is the application area.

rednekcowboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
True, and the WiiU cannot function as a decent media player. Hence, it would require homebrew to do so. Neither has the "whole system" or "complete feature set" by default.

Which is the exact reason why people want homebrew on the Wii U. Thank you.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
It's not cheaper.
The WIi U is $299 for the base model.
The first link was $158.
The second link was $225.

158 is less than 299.
225 is also less than 299.

Everything clear?

You cannot compare a HTPC with the WiiU so easily.
If you want the Multiscreen Feature of the WiiU you have to buy a Tablet or the Gamepad of the WiiU.
So it's in the same price range + you have to adjust the HTCP to interact with the tab which is also a cost/time factor.
All in all -> Low Power Device which doesn't support Multiscreen
Furthermore we are facing the second disadvantage "it depends on the model".

However you don't understand my post (so please learn to read and think):
A HTCP doesn't support the feature set of the WiiU.
The system features are different and so is the application area.
I wasn't responding to somebody wanting to play games on the Wii U. I was responding to somebody who wanted the Wii U hacked in order to have a livingroom media player on the cheap that didn't drain much power. I also pointed this out to explain one of the reasons there's relatively-few people working on hacking the Wii U openly.

Context, thread reading, etc.

rednekcowboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The WIi U is $299 for the base model.
The first link was $158.
The second link was $225.

158 is less than 299.
225 is also less than 299.

Everything clear?

I wasn't responding to somebody wanting to play games on the Wii U. I was responding to somebody who wanted the Wii U hacked in order to have a livingroom media player on the cheap that didn't drain much power. I also pointed this out to explain one of the reasons there's relatively-few people working on hacking the Wii U openly.

Context, thread reading, etc.

You are still missing the point and should just drop this htpc nonsense. People don't want 1 or the other, they want everything in 1 package. That being said, an HTPC cannot play Wii U games and therefore does not fit.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
You are still missing the point and should just drop this htpc nonsense. People don't want 1 or the other, they want everything in 1 package. That being said, an HTPC cannot play Wii U games and therefore does not fit.
The person I responded to was not talking about playing Wii U games, so Wii U gameplay was not in the list of requirements.

An HTPC may not fit YOUR requirements, fine, but it fits the stated requirements of the person I was responding to... as well as the requirements of the people who have the skills to hack the hardware, as they have already explained.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/marcan-clarifies.347450/

Reactions: SifJar

rednekcowboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The person I responded to was not talking about playing Wii U games, so Wii U gameplay was not in the list of requirements.

An HTPC may not fit YOUR requirements, fine, but it fits the stated requirements of the person I was responding to... as well as the requirements of the people who have the skills to hack the hardware, as they have already explained.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/marcan-clarifies.347450/

No offense here really, I honestly don't mean that but really read what you wrote. Why would anyone buy a Wii U if not to play Wii U games? You misconstrued what they meant. They want the ability to both play Wii U games and use the console for the other things that you discussed, which is why they want it hacked. People are not going to buy a console with the intent of not using it for games and solely as a media center. Well unless you're Microsoft and their Xbox 1 but that's a different story altogether. :P

I do believe that you are the only one in this thread right now that doesn't understand that.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
No offense here really, I honestly don't mean that but really read what you wrote. Why would anyone buy a Wii U if not to play Wii U games?
To hook up in their home, to a TV, and to use it to play videos and other sorts of media, while being smaller and using less electricity than a standard desktop.

Which is what they posted.

You misconstrued what they meant. They want the ability to both play Wii U games and use the console for the other things that you discussed, which is why they want it hacked.
They did not say that. They mentioned wanting it over a standard desktop for the price and power consumption (meaning the alternative would be a desktop, which also does not play Wii U games), which is understandable, which is why I answered them seriously, including product links.

People are not going to buy a console with the intent of not using it for games and solely as a media center.
History, man. PS3 says "hi". When it came out, even for $600 it was cheaper than a stand-alone blu-ray player, so many people did actually buy it as a cheap blu-ray player.

That was a noted problem for Sony, since they were taking a loss on each PS3 sold and expecting to make it up with the games, but that's another conversation.

I do believe that you are the only one in this thread right now that doesn't understand that.
You believe that partially because you assume that your wants are everybody else's wants, so mentally insert them into posts where they don't fit. :P

Again, read what I was responding to. No mention of Wii U games, and in fact mentioned the Wii U as an alternative to a PC, which does not play Wii U games.

rednekcowboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
To hook up in their home, to a TV, and to use it to play videos and other sorts of media, while being smaller and using less electricity than a standard desktop.

Which is what they posted.

They did not say that. They mentioned wanting it over a standard desktop for the price and power consumption (meaning the alternative would be a desktop, which also does not play Wii U games), which is understandable, which is why I answered them seriously, including product links.

History, man. PS3 says "hi". When it came out, even for $600 it was cheaper than a stand-alone blu-ray player, so many people did actually buy it as a cheap blu-ray player.

That was a noted problem for Sony, since they were taking a loss on each PS3 sold and expecting to make it up with the games, but that's another conversation.

You believe that partially because you assume that your wants are everybody else's wants, so mentally insert them into posts where they don't fit. :P

Again, read what I was responding to. No mention of Wii U games, and in fact mentioned the Wii U as an alternative to a PC, which does not play Wii U games.

I'm not going to argue with you over this stupidity any longer. NO ONE would by a Wii U for a media center replacement, simply because that is not what it is designed to do. PS3 is and was a different story. You could buy a BR player for around the same price as it would cost to buy a PS3 so you can draw that correlation there, but here, with the Wii U, you are just out to lunch.

Sadly though, with people like you, there is no talking to them. They always have to be right and always have to have the last word no matter how foolish it makes them appear. Go ahead and keep posting, this is all I have to say on the matter.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm not going to argue with you over this stupidity any longer. NO ONE would by a Wii U for a media center replacement, simply because that is not what it is designed to do. PS3 is and was a different story. You could buy a BR player for around the same price as it would cost to buy a PS3 so you can draw that correlation there, but here, with the Wii U, you are just out to lunch.

Sadly though, with people like you, there is no talking to them. They always have to be right and always have to have the last word no matter how foolish it makes them appear. Go ahead and keep posting, this is all I have to say on the matter.
You might want to read the thread I linked. It's words from the guys that did the initial hacks on the Wii U. These thoughts are not things I'm making up, these are actual quotes from people in this thread and people in the Wii U hacking scene.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
How small-minded and nitpickers some persons are. :rolleyes:
Reading, Thinking and Combining must be hard for them.
Do you mean me?

'Cause I wasn't suggesting an HTPC for rednekcowboy, I was suggesting it for the person who wanted a cheap set-top thing to play videos and such on their TV. I was just defending my suggestion against rednekcowboy's accusations of it not being cheaper and not fitting rednekcowboy's requirements.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Water park was quite fun
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    die?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes I'm in mortal danger
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes I'm in mortal danger