"F" you, Microsoft! Bungie going multi-platform?

Status
Not open for further replies.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
BungieLogo.png

"Fresh off Microsoft and Bungie's record-setting Halo 3 release last week, a rumor about the developer and the publisher was spotted on site 8bitjoystick. The tip supposedly came from from "a friend close to someone who works for Bungie."

According to the post, Bungie Studios wants out of Microsoft's publishing mantle for several reasons. The biggest being that they're not too happy with how Microsoft is handling business.

The tipster says that in the aftermath of Microsoft and Bungie's separation, Microsoft gets to keep all the rights to the Halo franchise. There's a possibility that Bungie may still develop Halo's next games, but they'll do this in a completely separate deal.

The latest on this volatile buzz is that there are three possibilities: One is that Jim Jones might be leaving Bungie. Another is that a Bungie faction may be starting a new act a la Free Radical splitting from Rare Ltd. The third - and the most likely possibility - is that none of this could be true and Bungie will continue to make great games and loads of cash with Microsoft.

The "no-such-thing" possibility is supported by Microsoft's latest statement to an MTV query. "There’s been no such announcement. We continue to celebrate the tremendous success of the global phenomenon that is ‘Halo 3," explains a Microsoft representative.

Technically, it's unlikely that Bungie will leave Microsoft because the latter owns the former. Team members could quit and start a new studio, but they won't bring the name along with them. The success and stability of the partnership seems to suggest that this rumor may remain a rumor for good."

QJ.net

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Interesting, though in the eyes of the common gamer this is nothing. No chances of seeing Halo on any system but Xbox, so why even bother caring? =P

Though it would severely impact MS's system-selling franchise. After Halo 3 Recon and Halo Wars, that may end up being it, unless like stated that Bungie returns as an outside developer.

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I thought Bungie had little to do with Halo Wars, and that was purely Ensemble?
And I bet there's some hard feelings/at least a little resentment towards Microsoft making them delay their Halo 3 Recon announcement from E3 time without warning them ahead of time. Not saying that's the full blown reason their leaving, but that's kinda an insulting move. In my view anyway.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doomsday Forte said:
Interesting, though in the eyes of the common gamer this is nothing. No chances of seeing Halo on any system but Xbox, so why even bother caring? =P
They could do the same game but with a different name and characters. Most people would love a new FPS from Bungie.

When Free Radical split from Rare they ended up making the Timesplitters game which practically retains the same sort of spirit and gameplay from Perfect Dark.

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hadrian said:
Doomsday Forte said:
When Free Radical split from Rare they ended up making the Timesplitters game which practically retains the same sort of spirit and gameplay from Perfect Dark.
Perfect Dark still is one of my favorite games on the N64. Free Radical aren't perfection though, they bombed horribly with Haze.
And Bungie could always go back to the Marathon series if they split off?

webyugioh

Trophies
Website
www.free-ftp.org
XP
Country
Um, no offense but this is kinda of old.
QUOTE said:
Bungie and Microsoft separating? Not so fast says MS
Posted Oct 01, 2007 at 07:50PM
by Glen D.
Listed in: Xbox 360
Tags: Microsoft, MTV, Bungie Studios

I thought that this was old when I read
QUOTEFresh off Microsoft and Bungie's record-setting Halo 3 release last week

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
webyugioh said:
Um, no offense but this is kinda of old.
QUOTE said:
Bungie and Microsoft separating? Not so fast says MS
Posted Oct 01, 2007 at 07:50PM
by Glen D.
Listed in: Xbox 360
Tags: Microsoft, MTV, Bungie Studios

I thought that this was old when I read
QUOTEFresh off Microsoft and Bungie's record-setting Halo 3 release last week
...See this is why I need to stop just looking for a summary at the bottom. I'm so used to a stupid introduction that I tend to just skip those.
tongue.gif

I'm assuming this lead up to what ended up happening as it is... Since this is apparently over a year old (Same months and the subject isn't crazy so I can't really blame you for the confusion) I'm gonna go ahead and close this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/ntdoy/market-cap/ I think they'll be alright