Hacking emuNAND Tool - Release and Support thread

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
My thanks for the emuNAND tool, I needed to keep a backup of my N3DS v9.5 emuNAND firmware safe.

Nothing like a tool like this to safeguard against user error!

Handy piece of advise: do backup your emuNAND every now and then... specially if you use streetpass in it, because your first backup will not have your new NAND related stuff, like, as I said, streetpasses, among other things.

Cheers!

EDIT
I do it every week or so...

Reactions: thorasgar

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if this has been asked or covered, but can this tool be used to recover all games and data to emunand after unlinking sysnand and emunand? I want to unlink by formatting emunand but I won't be able to access eShop as firmware version 9.6.0-24U is required to access it, but that same version is currently not supported by Gateway's emunand feature.

Yes. Here's the process:

1. Backup sysNAND to SD Card from GW menu
2. Backup emuNAND from SD card to computer
3. Copy all files from SD to computer (Especially the NAND.bin file)
4. Leave SD out of 3DS
5. Format sysNAND
6. Insert SD > Format emuNAND
7. Remove SD > Copy all files back to SD card
8. Restore emuNAND with emuNAND Tool
9. ???
10. Profit!

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if this has been asked or covered, but can this tool be used to recover all games and data to emunand after unlinking sysnand and emunand? I want to unlink by formatting emunand but I won't be able to access eShop as firmware version 9.6.0-24U is required to access it, but that same version is currently not supported by Gateway's emunand feature.
Yes. Here's the process:

1. Backup emuNAND from SD card to computer and copy all files from SD to computer
2. Leave SD out of 3DS
3. Format sysNAND
4. Insert SD > Format emuNAND
5. Remove SD > Copy all files back to SD card
6. Restore emuNAND with emuNAND Tool
7. ???
8. Profit!

maximilious's process is indeed correct to accomplish your stated goals. However it would be much simpler to pull the Sd card and format sysnand. When using gateway it is best and much simpler if you have sysnand in a clean state and only use emunand. If you have things installed to sysnand that you do not want to loose then indeed you need to format emunand instead or go through an even more comples process to back up and restore sysnand data.

Just wanted to throw that option out to you becuase depending on how much data you have in emuand this can be a real time suck.

Nephiel

Artificer
Trophies
XP
Country
maximilious's process is indeed correct to accomplish your stated goals. However it would be much simpler to pull the Sd card and format sysnand. When using gateway it is best and much simpler if you have sysnand in a clean state and only use emunand. If you have things installed to sysnand that you do not want to loose then indeed you need to format emunand instead or go through an even more comples process to back up and restore sysnand data.

Just wanted to throw that option out to you becuase depending on how much data you have in emuand this can be a real time suck.
That's my approach too, format sysNAND to unlink, and use only emuNAND from there on. However I'd keep a backup of the sysNAND before unlinking as well, just in case.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's my approach too, format sysNAND to unlink, and use only emuNAND from there on. However I'd keep a backup of the sysNAND before unlinking as well, just in case.

You're right, I did forget to mention the sysNAND backup. Edited my post to reflect that.

Riff89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I would only use emunand, but I have games that only work on sysnand, namely the DSiWare titles. I play them regularly and do not wish to give those up

josamilu

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
For the moment, bbcopy will work.

If you've got the larger size NAND:

"bbcopy bs=512 count=1953792 seek=1 ifd=<drive number> of=cfwnand.bin"

where <drive number> refers to the disk number (you can find this in "Computer Management" I believe, or Hex Workshop via Disk>Open Drive>All (the number next to "Physical Disk" that matches your çard's capacity)

If you have the smaller NAND:

"bbcopy bs=512 count=1931264 seek=1 ifd=<drive number> of=cfwnand.bin"

To write it back, I believe it would be:

"bbcopy bs=512 offs=1 ofd=<drive number> if=cfwnand.bin"

This assumes that you're only using CFW on the card. If you're using Ronhero's dual EmuNAND method, the seek/offs values would be 2097153 since it's been placed after the GW/MT EmuNAND, after the end of the first Gigabyte. But if you're doing that trick to begin with, you should already be aware of this.

EDIT: changed the numbers, got them from Ronhero's batch files, resulting files seem to be 512 bytes too short, so I added 1 to each count. Not that this was causing problems -- the last 512 bytes are empty.

Thanks for the update, n1ghty.

I tried this but I got this error
Code:
Can't open source file \\.\PhysicalDrive6
exiting...
I know that it is the right physical drive. Help would be nice :)
-josamilu

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but it's still not working, i will try it tomorrow on a laptop, it has a sd card reader already built in, i think my sd card reader is my problem, because it behaves crazy sometimes xD
Once a bad card reader always a bad card reader. Kill it.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so restoring my emunand shouldn't relink? I just want to make sure that won't happen.

Not sure what exactly you're doing. If you're unlinking by formatting EmuNAND, injecting your old copy would re-link. Just like injecting your current NAND dump would. I can certainly understand your desire not to lose your DSiWare. You might want to back that stuff up using FunkyCIA if you haven't already. I think you can re-install them to SysNAND after formatting and they'll work. I've read about other people doing this. Of course, you'll either need to use a fresh internal card or change the first byte on your existing one to disable EmuNAND. I recommend using Hex Workshop -- Disk, Open Drive, Physical Disks, pick your card, if you see "GATEWAYNAND" change the first character (I use F so it says "FATEWAYNAND"), save it and close. The launcher won't find your EmuNAND and boots into SysNAND. I'm not sure why DSiWare tickets are retained after a format, but they appear to be. Just to be safe though, I'd recommend both dumping your current NAND, and backing your SD card up (the EmuNAND included) before you try it. If it doesn't work, just restore the dump (since DSiWare is stored in NAND, that should recover it).

Yes, but it's still not working, i will try it tomorrow on a laptop, it has a sd card reader already built in, i think my sd card reader is my problem, because it behaves crazy sometimes xD

Yeah, it's probably the reader. I copied the commands almost verbatim from Ronhero's "Dual EmuNAND" guide. And they're working great for me (I just can't figure out how he got DSiWare working in Palantine, because I have to use PBT to get it to work for me).

SuperSVGA

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you fix it so when you go to inject and select the file it doesn't keep asking "NAND.bin doesn't exist, create the file?"

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So i've updated my sd card multiple times in the past and today i bought another 32 micro sd card. Formatted it with gateway launcher and tried to extract the old emunand from my other card but whatever i tried it gave me the error unknown nand size. So after a lot of tries and no solution i tried to do the whole process all over again with installing cfw but now i can't seem to inject my rednand since it gives me the same error wich is ''unknown nand size'' Just wanted to upgrade my card and used 1.01 and 1.03emunand tool and tried reformatting multiple times but doesn't seem to work.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i've updated my sd card multiple times in the past and today i bought another 32 micro sd card. Formatted it with gateway launcher and tried to extract the old emunand from my other card but whatever i tried it gave me the error unknown nand size. So after a lot of tries and no solution i tried to do the whole process all over again with installing cfw but now i can't seem to inject my rednand since it gives me the same error wich is ''unknown nand size'' Just wanted to upgrade my card and used 1.01 and 1.03emunand tool and tried reformatting multiple times but doesn't seem to work.
Do you still have your first mSD intact? If so you can try this method, I used it when the the n3ds first came out and emunand tool didn't support it yet. Worth a shot.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-transfer-emunand-to-another-sd-card-working-on-new3ds.383684/

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: im fucking motivated