Hacking EmuNAND to EmuNAND System transfer sucessful

troa11

Older Than You
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will edit the first post as well; but want to add I did this again from EmuNAND to EmuNAND and this time got zero errors and it just completed properly. Not sure what was different this time. Naturally when you hit the "reboot" spot it boots back to SysNAND at the system transfer screen and errors out, and then you have to return to the home menu, launch the exploit and finish from EmuNAND instead. But no wifi jiggery or anything, it just finished normally once I got back into EmuNAND.

Again, naturally, since there is no EmuNAND on N3DS, I can't tell you if it works, but once GW N3DS support is released and my Majora's Mask N3DS arrives I'll let you know!

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Gateway won't support 9.5 emunand on N3DS, so those wanting to system transfer to a N3DS once Gateway releases support for it can just wait because it won't be possible for the time being. 9.4 and below should work on N3DS emunand, but 9.5 is now the latest firmware and it will force you to update to that before it will let you start system transfer.

For those on older models, this won't effect you. Also, I believe it's best to have sysnand unlinked from emunand before trying to do a system transfer as the bulk of the issues some people reported might have been because of that.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Gateway won't support 9.5 emunand on N3DS, so those wanting to system transfer to a N3DS once Gateway releases support for it can just wait because it won't be possible for the time being. 9.4 and below should work on N3DS emunand, but 9.5 is now the latest firmware and it will force you to update to that before it will let you start system transfer.
Where did you get that info? I know atm 9.5 emuNAND is buggy if you wanna use roms instead of .cia files but aren't we all assuming that'll be patched?

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Yeah I made an edit. Maybe it didn't go through. I looked it up right after I posted and then wrote "disregard this, I'm an idiot"

Erchino

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know if I need two Gateway 3DS's to do this? Or is there a way to just use one for this system transfer method?

Erchino

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, thought this might be of general interest to some.

With the release of the 9.2 exploit, I wanted to move my "official" 3DS profile from my 4.5 launch 3DS to my Zelda 3DS XL. So I did. It wasn't super simple and there was at least two panic moments; but here's what I had to do to make it work...

1 - As with any system transfer, both systems must be of the same region and on the highest firmware. In this case both EmuNANDs were on 9.4 US.

2 - Initiate the system transfer from within the EmuNAND (GW) system settings on both devices. Operation proceeds as normal for a system transfer.

3 - When the initial phase of the transfer is complete, things get dicey. Both systems need to reboot. But doing that dumps you to SysNAND on them both. And the TARGET system reboots into the system transfer section of the system settings, and fails out. Well, don't panic yet. Just shut down both systems.

4 - At this point you are also supposed to move the SD card from the source system to the target system. The problem is that this SD card has the wrong EmuNAND on it now. Remove both SD cards. Don't get them mixed up. You have two options:

a - If you wish to use the SD card that was in the TARGET system, copy the files from the SOURCE SD to the TARGET SD using your computer. Simple as that.

b - If you wish to use the SD card that was in the SOURCE system, you must extract the EmuNAND partition from the TARGET SD card, inject it into the SOURCE SD card and then put the SOURCE SD card into the TARGET system.
(If you wish to continue to use EmuNAND on the SOURCE system, just do a format EmuNAND from the GW menu on it, or restore an old backup. No need to complete that process normally).

5 - Now, on the TARGET system with the correct EmuNAND installed in the SD, launch the GW exploit. The system will boot to the EmuNAND system settings and try to complete the transfer. For me, this always failed and dumped me back to SysNAND. To get past that, I had to disable Wifi as it booted into GW mode and then tell it to NOT continue the transfer and abort.

EDIT: I did this again between another set of 3DS's. This time I didn't get any errors on step 5 and it just completed normally. That may happen too, which I guess is better and easier? But either way you should be able to finish it. If this proceeds normally, you shouldn't have to mess with step 6.

6 - Dumped back to SysNAND again, and again launched the GW exploit, this time I was taken to my EmuNAND home screen. However, none of my installed software showed. I launched the eShop and after about 5 minutes of waiting I was able to finally log back in as my NNID HAD transferred. After logging into the eShop and returning to the Home menu, all my installed software showed up again in wrapped presents (and was also available on the eshop as redownloadable if needed).

So in short, it worked, but I had to interrupt the process, transfer my EmuNAND partition and log into the eShop to validate/finish the transfer.

EDIT: This was from 3DSs that had a physical wifi switch to interrupt the process. Since wifi is necessary to launch the exploit on 2DS and I'm assuming N3DS, and neither of those systems have a point where you can disable the wifi in software during the process, I assume the same could be accomplished by disabling your home wifi at the appropriate time. But don't quote me on that.

EDIT EDIT: All your account info and legit purchases are now stored on a fickle SD card. MAKE AN EMUNAND BACKUP. THEN MAKE 3 MORE AND STORE THEM IN DIFFERENT PLACES.
Did you do this with one Gateway card or two?

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the experience. Would it just be easier to format the old console and link the NNID to the new one? Call Nintendo and they transfer it in a second. You would lose your saves but content gets moved easy.

troa11

Older Than You
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the experience. Would it just be easier to format the old console and link the NNID to the new one? Call Nintendo and they transfer it in a second. You would lose your saves but content gets moved easy.

Guess it depends on your preference, I've actually done this three times now and only had the issue the once, the other times it was perfectly smooth. The only real difference from doing a normal system transfer is relaunching into EmuNAND to complete it after it reboots.

troa11

Older Than You
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah doesn't matter whether you're in Emu or SysNAND, doesn't matter which way you're going. As long as the OS you're running is the latest firmware and the same region, and you haven't moved in the last 7 days, you can move whichever directions you want.

zergslayer69

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ah very nice to know, guess I better do that before 9.6 is magically out. How would the sd card merge work? got a 32gb legit card and the gateway 3ds has a 8gb with save files on it. Do I literally just merge both cards and then do system transfer?

soniczeki

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Hey all, thought this might be of general interest to some.

With the release of the 9.2 exploit, I wanted to move my "official" 3DS profile from my 4.5 launch 3DS to my Zelda 3DS XL. So I did. It wasn't super simple and there was at least two panic moments; but here's what I had to do to make it work...

1 - As with any system transfer, both systems must be of the same region and on the highest firmware. In this case both EmuNANDs were on 9.4 US.

2 - Initiate the system transfer from within the EmuNAND (GW) system settings on both devices. Operation proceeds as normal for a system transfer.

3 - When the initial phase of the transfer is complete, things get dicey. Both systems need to reboot. But doing that dumps you to SysNAND on them both. And the TARGET system reboots into the system transfer section of the system settings, and fails out. Well, don't panic yet. Just shut down both systems.

4 - At this point you are also supposed to move the SD card from the source system to the target system. The problem is that this SD card has the wrong EmuNAND on it now. Remove both SD cards. Don't get them mixed up. You have two options:

a - If you wish to use the SD card that was in the TARGET system, copy the files from the SOURCE SD to the TARGET SD using your computer. Simple as that.

b - If you wish to use the SD card that was in the SOURCE system, you must extract the EmuNAND partition from the TARGET SD card, inject it into the SOURCE SD card and then put the SOURCE SD card into the TARGET system.
(If you wish to continue to use EmuNAND on the SOURCE system, just do a format EmuNAND from the GW menu on it, or restore an old backup. No need to complete that process normally).

5 - Now, on the TARGET system with the correct EmuNAND installed in the SD, launch the GW exploit. The system will boot to the EmuNAND system settings and try to complete the transfer. For me, this always failed and dumped me back to SysNAND. To get past that, I had to disable Wifi as it booted into GW mode and then tell it to NOT continue the transfer and abort.

EDIT: I did this again between another set of 3DS's. This time I didn't get any errors on step 5 and it just completed normally. That may happen too, which I guess is better and easier? But either way you should be able to finish it. If this proceeds normally, you shouldn't have to mess with step 6.

6 - Dumped back to SysNAND again, and again launched the GW exploit, this time I was taken to my EmuNAND home screen. However, none of my installed software showed. I launched the eShop and after about 5 minutes of waiting I was able to finally log back in as my NNID HAD transferred. After logging into the eShop and returning to the Home menu, all my installed software showed up again in wrapped presents (and was also available on the eshop as redownloadable if needed).

So in short, it worked, but I had to interrupt the process, transfer my EmuNAND partition and log into the eShop to validate/finish the transfer.

EDIT: This was from 3DSs that had a physical wifi switch to interrupt the process. Since wifi is necessary to launch the exploit on 2DS and I'm assuming N3DS, and neither of those systems have a point where you can disable the wifi in software during the process, I assume the same could be accomplished by disabling your home wifi at the appropriate time. But don't quote me on that.

EDIT EDIT: All your account info and legit purchases are now stored on a fickle SD card. MAKE AN EMUNAND BACKUP. THEN MAKE 3 MORE AND STORE THEM IN DIFFERENT PLACES.

I have a question.
I have a ntsc 3ds xl system (downgraded to 9.2 > 4.2) emunand 9.5 set up and ready. (and already seperated Nintendo 3DS folder) This device also has 12 eshop games (not registered to nnid).

I want to transfer those games to my old ntsc device.
But my older device is registered to nnid and has ambassador games.

I am also going to downgrade the device with has nnid. Then I will set up emunand 9.5 and update it.

My question is; Can I do emunand to emunand system transfer from the new to old. But it shouldn't have nnid
Did nnid disappear with this method?

Or old to new? But i don't wanna use NNID on 3DS anymore. My id also registered a wii u system :/ i'm afraid to lose my all games.

EDIT : Transferred OLD TO NEW

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you do this when you own two 3DSes, but only one Gateway? (Switching out the Gateway to use in the other 3DS at the appropriate times?)

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is useful, I'll be reading this for sure when attempting to to an emunand to emunand system transfer from 3DS to N3DS.

Myria

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, I did this exact same thing last night...and for the exact same reason: moving my official profile to a Zelda 3DS XL >.<

For me, it worked, with some caveats. My target Zelda system now has its SysNAND and EmuNAND unlinked, which I hear means that I can't generate XOR pads. Is that true?

Also, during the transfer, all my homebrew .cia files were semi-deleted. They didn't appear in Home Menu, but did appear in Dev Menu. I had to delete them in Dev Menu and reinstall.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
For me, it worked, with some caveats. My target Zelda system now has its SysNAND and EmuNAND unlinked, which I hear means that I can't generate XOR pads. Is that true?

if you have the movable.sed file from the nand that the content is encrypted for, on your sd card, then you can decrypt stuff even if the content is not encrypted to console's sysnand :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they...