Gaming Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance Coming to North America and Europe in 2015

GameWinner

Take your heart
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah and that is obviously bullshit PR. The game doesn't even look structurally different than the previous titles, it will just have more units, perhaps not even that often. Also, it's turn based, a little slowdown won't kill anyone for more version releases.

As for the slowdowns on previous systems/titles, it's the developer's fault for not opimizing them properly. I don't see how a very low-poly 3D tile-based map with 2D characters can even have slowdowns in the first place. The Disgaea serie consistently looks like it belongs to the previous generation of consoles it is on, now with 5, they bumped that difference to two generations. Graphics-wise, it looks very, very similar to Ragnarok Online, which could render hundreds of character on-screen without an issue with 1999 computers back then, which were much weaker than a PS4 (or PS3 even, or hell, EVEN PS2) is today. The game was even able to withstand several individual players spamming spells with big effects at the same time before tanking in FPS.

Pretty sure a PS4 exclusivity deal is going on under the table. Sony has been pulling that out a lot to promote the system further. I don't really mind if it's an exclusive for monetary reasons, the blatant lies is what I'm not happy with. The developer should be honest.
I reeeeeeaallly doubt Sony sent money to NIS to get this game as a PS4 exclusive.

GameWinner

Take your heart
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About as likely as Sony giving Capcom half a million dollars to invest in competitive events for street fighter in exchange for console exclusivity, I'd say.
NIS games barely sell though. There will be no point in it. You're also comparing this SFV.

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
NIS games barely sell though. There will be no point in it. You're also comparing this SFV.
Without extensive number comparisons, I'm positive more people buy Disgaea than people who play, or even consistently care, about SF in a competitive manner, since I follow the latter myself and I have a pretty good idea about the events viewership and tournament participation numbers, on top of the very small prize pools compared to other games. Both are niche audiences, but both are guaranteed sales. Like the SF competitive enthusiast is not going to skip on SF5 because he's sad it's not on the xbox1, the NIS fan isn't going to skip disgaea 5. Both will buy a console only for one game if they haven't already.

Sales figures also do not matter when the deal money would be proportial to them. If sony found giving capcom $500k for the tournament publicity was worth it, they may as well give NIS as low as $50k to "convince" them not to make ports. I'm sure NIS would gladly accept what a big AAA company would consider worthless pennies.

By the way, the main Disgaea games average at 350-400k copies if the unreliable sales reports can be trusted. That's by no means "pointless" for a cheap, non-AAA title. I doubt it can even be considered "AA". I mean there is a reason they keep making them.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Without extensive number comparisons, I'm positive more people buy Disgaea than people who play, or even consistently care, about SF in a competitive manner, since I follow the latter myself and I have a pretty good idea about the events viewership and tournament participation numbers, on top of the very small prize pools compared to other games. Both are niche audiences, but both are guaranteed sales. Like the SF competitive enthusiast is not going to skip on SF5 because he's sad it's not on the xbox1, the NIS fan isn't going to skip disgaea 5. Both will buy a console only for one game if they haven't already.

Sales figures also do not matter when the deal money would be proportial to them. If sony found giving capcom $500k for the tournament publicity was worth it, they may as well give NIS as low as $50k to "convince" them not to make ports. I'm sure NIS would gladly accept what a big AAA company would consider worthless pennies.

By the way, the main Disgaea games average at 350-400k copies if the unreliable sales reports can be trusted. That's by no means "pointless" for a cheap, non-AAA title. I doubt it can even be considered "AA". I mean there is a reason they keep making them.

So you're really convinced that there's a grand conspiracy of Sony buying these exclusives? Do you even realize Disgaea has been a (mostly) Playstation exclusive for years? There's occasionally some ports for other systems but its been a mainline Sony title for years.

You can say the same thing about Final Fantasy or Metal Gear Solid. You're talking completely out of your asshole and even said "Well without looking at the facts, I'm positive that I'm right."

Jesus Christ.

Reactions: Foxi4

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So you're really convinced that there's a grand conspiracy of Sony buying these exclusives? Do you even realize Disgaea has been a (mostly) Playstation exclusive for years? There's occasionally some ports for other systems but its been a mainline Sony title for years.

You can say the same thing about Final Fantasy or Metal Gear Solid. You're talking completely out of your asshole and even said "Well without looking at the facts, I'm positive that I'm right."

Jesus Christ.
Again, I ask for a better explaination as to why a 1999, 2D-character turn based game apparently requires the power of the PS4. Even though your Sony fanboyism got triggered and you felt like you needed to defend them, my point is that NIS is obviously bullshitting about their statement as to why the game NEEDED to be exclusive. Sony has no fault in this, I actually commend that they take interest in filling niche interests (investing in competitive SF), you can rest easy. And as I said again, I don't care that the game is an exclusive in itself, it was the reason the developer gave.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, I ask for a better explaination as to why a 1999, 2D-character turn based game apparently requires the power of the PS4. Even though your Sony fanboyism got triggered and you felt like you needed to defend them, my point is that NIS is obviously bullshitting about their statement as to why the game NEEDED to be exclusive. Sony has no fault in this, I actually commend that they take interest in filling niche interests (investing in competitive SF), you can rest easy. And as I said again, I don't care that the game is an exclusive in itself, it was the reason the developer gave.

It doesn't, but they choose Sony as their platform of choice because some people do that. Shocking, I know.

What stopped Final Fantasy X or XII from being on the Xbox? Why was MGS3 a PS2 exclusive? There's a lot of third party studios that develop for a single platform. Can a developer just develop for a single platform without getting lambasted from crying children about it not being on their console?

What you're suggesting is Sony bought out console exclusivity, which would take a lot more money considering the projected sales of the game across 3 platforms compared to 1. I mean if they game isn't so powerful, why can't it just run on the Wii U or XB1? Hell, why not the 3DS, the most popular console in Japan right now? Hell, Sony "bought" their exclusivity (according to you and your lack of sources), why not port it to the Vita too, which is also a Sony console and is doing decently in Japan?

Developers develop for consoles they want to develop for. Not every time they choose a console it's because of some shady back alley dealings. Maybe they liked the PS4. Maybe they think the features fit it well. Who the fuck knows. But it's not some "bribery", especially for a title that isn't that big like Disgaea 5.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...