Nintendo discontinues use of Facebook and Twitter for Nintendo Account sign in, and opens Twitter accounts for Nintendo LatAm and Brasil.

nintendo-logo.large.jpg

Nintendo has announced today that it will no longer be possible to link a Facebook or Twitter account to connect to a user's Nintendo Account. The change will go into effect on October 25th, 2022.
They released a detailed FAQ under their Support page: "Discontinuation of the Use of Facebook or Twitter to Sign In to Your Nintendo Account", where they mention that, while the option to sign in with Facebook and Twitter will no longer be an option, the user can still log into their Nintendo Account by using either Google or Apple accounts. Nintendo also offers instructions about how to make the proper changes and adjustments to your Account to prepare for the upcoming change.

The reasoning behind the removal of said option is still unknown, but there are many speculations floating around as to why this might be.
This change will not affect receiving Friend Suggestions and posting screenshots/videos to Facebook and Twitter, that will continue as normal.

Aside from those news, Nintendo has also opened two new Twitter accounts, one for Latin America named @NintendoLatam, and another one for Nintendo Brasil named @NintendoBrasil.
Both account debuted on Twitter on September 20th, 2022, and it will surely be a great way of giving news about anything Nintendo to people from Latin America and Brasil.
The Brasil account might come as a weird decision, since Nintendo opted to end hardware distribution in Brasil back in 2015. However, the reasoning might be as simple as just offering a method of communication for people in Brasil due to the language difference between Brasil and the rest of Latin America.

:arrow: Source #1
:arrow: Source #2

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This article might shed some light on this: https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/08/fac...earing-from-websites-on-privacy-concerns.html

Besides privacy concerns, I think it's just a demographics things since Facebook (and maybe Twitter too) aren't that popular among younger users. Dell removed the facebook login because nobody was using it, and I think that might be what happened here too.
Seems like the most plausible cause, and I can see it as the reasoning behind this change.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never understood why anyone would use Facebook as a means of logging in to another service, it's not like it's their email address or anything.

Now, while I'd rather avoid Twitter because of how toxic it is, having more official Nintendo Twitter accounts in different languages is a good thing.

Reactions: guisadop

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
now, this is some news I can get behind. however, facebook marketplace is pretty damn good, far better than eBay. sold my white, OLED switch for $300 locally, with no charges., in less than a day I probably would've gotten like in the $230s-$240s from eBay.
Buying a Switch in 2022 brand new for $300 doesn't make much sense to me because it's a five year old console, so its successor is going to be announced sooner or later.

BotW2 in 2023 will definitely boost the Switch sales once more. Nintendo is certainly making the most they can of it.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Buying a Switch in 2022 brand new for $300 doesn't make much sense to me because it's a five year old console, so its successor is going to be announced sooner or later.

BotW2 in 2023 will definitely boost the Switch sales once more. Nintendo is certainly making the most they can of it.
the one I sold was an OLED w/ tempered glass screen protector, all original packaging including the plastic and stuff that goes around stuff, some was even sealed. it seemed like a good deal. the only game I played on it was dq xi.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The reasoning behind the removal of said option is still unknown, but there are many speculations floating around as to why this might be.
I expected the article to give some of the speculated reasons tho

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I expected the article to give some of the speculated reasons tho
I really don't want to delve into speculations without going full Kotaku mode, I want to avoid that, but I think the posts here are a good place to discuss those possible reasons, but this post from diggeloid might be the most accurate speculation yet:

This article might shed some light on this: https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/08/fac...earing-from-websites-on-privacy-concerns.html

Besides privacy concerns, I think it's just a demographics things since Facebook (and maybe Twitter too) aren't that popular among younger users. Dell removed the facebook login because nobody was using it, and I think that might be what happened here too.

Reactions: LightBeam

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I really don't want to delve into speculations without going full Kotaku mode, I want to avoid that, but I think the posts here are a good place to discuss those possible reasons, but this post from diggeloid might be the most accurate speculation yet:
I totally understand that. Thanks for your help.

I don't think that Nintendo cares about privacy tho, I guess we'll never have a definitive answer

Reactions: ShadowOne333

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We update work to remove pointless features because we cant be bothered to update to continue supporting it.

Meanwhile, actual hardware improvements go amis or should I say, goes toward their next last gen revamp.

Which will be some form of home console with a gimmick to then take your game with you by either cloud gaming..... ohh wait no, thats too technically advanced and expensive for nintendont.

I mean, they still aren't upto basics when it comes to online gaming and features.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP

IMDB just announced they are dropping Facebook login as well… I came here looking for the reason thinking this cant be just a coincidence, I suppose this article explains it.

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay... So, Nintendo's not super mad at Facebook and Twitter, since they're doing more on the platforms. Security risks? Got tired of keeping up with the changes? Planning on using something else? What's the real reason for this sign-in change?

KitChan

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Finally, the Wii U and 3DS are safe for kids.

Why on earth Nintendo enabled connectivity with a platform full of pedos and chinese spies on their consoles in the first place is beyond me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: it was also the only game I played