Hacking Disappointed with EZflash 4

Omer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I recently bought an EZ flash 4 to play GBA games on my Ds lite after seeing alot of good reviews of the card.
Well my card work and save for 2 days then the battery was dead. ok , so I can't save anymore unless with soft resetting. The problem is half of the games I have tried does not soft rest whatever I do, I tried to change the version of my ez client and change the firmware to latest reset fix(which I don't know how it work anyway) and I search everywhere with no luck.
To add insult to injury, half of the games that require nor ram freezes at 254 and do not work while others work fine
I really get pissed by this crap flash , it's horrible
I'm I missing something here?
1-what is the difference of ezfla_up and ezfla_up reset fix both of them not making me able to soft reset the roms that didn't allow me to soft reset at the start?
2-what is exactly wrong with the nor?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I personally patch my roms with the GBA Tool Advance for sleep+reset, THEN I trim them lastly, and send them to the cart via the EZ Flash 4 tool. Make sure you are using a clean, unpatched rom when you patch them, or the patch might not take at all, or give unexpected results. Trimming, is of course optional, but always welcomed.

Reactions: dreamchaserGR

Omer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Can you please give me the link to GBA tool advance for reset ! and what do you mean by EZ flash 4 tool? do you mean Ez client ?
Edit: nevermind I found the tool but when you use the ez 4 tool to patch do you check the reset field or not?

Omer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry my bad , I thought GBA tool can soft reset my ez flash 4 ... sorry for confusion , I want to soft reset the flash in order to save, not resetting the game .. some roms seems not supporting the soft reset

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds like you got a bad one, seems to happen more on the new lines for various reasons. If it is possible I would return it for a new one as this should not happen, it sounds like this might be easier said than done.

"ezfla_up and ezfla_up reset fix"
One is the stock one, the other is one that hard resets to launch games where the other might not (there are two types of reset on the GBA). For some reason it seems to change compatibility for the better to have it do a proper reset like the hacked loader.

The NOR stuff sounds like a chip that does not have the full 256Mbit, or an error it can not clear at least, and it is failing to write a full ROM to it. It seems to happen more with the new EZ4s though I have not figured out why (the old chips were getting hard to get so they seem to have swapped them out for new ones and redid the loader accordingly).
Alternatively are you using a microSD to miniSD adapter? Such things can be symptoms of a bad adapter (they are so bad we do tell people to get miniSDs if they can).

Omer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
FAST,I'm using micro sd card because there is no mini sd card in my region
Hanafuda , Thanks for the help . I did all what you do (the exact thing) but my problem still with the soft reset of some games and the nor ram which didn't soved even by the latest firmware and the older client

Silentsurvivor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a sleephack made by kuwanger that forces a sleep mode and reset in any GBA game, and it goes right back to the EZFlash IV home screen, dumping the save file succesfully. I use it on the games that can't be reset normally when patched by EZtool. Works flawlessly. Just a few games I tried didn't reset via the reset patch on EZtool anyway, I recall Link to The Past and Sigma Star Saga being two of them. The sleephack tool works so good though.

Also, DO NOT use the latest firmware. They optimized it for DS games and broke quite a bit of GBA support. You should use the 1.72 RESET firmware, it's perfect for GBA games. I use the version that has a Mother 3 skin on it. It's on Filetrip: http://filetrip.net/gba-downloads/c...-iv-1-720-reset-mother-3-skin-1-0-f24994.html

I also don't get what you mean with "half of the games that need NOR memory". It's only needed for 3 games isn't it? Kingdom Hearts, Mother 3 and Mother 1+2 as far as I remember. So one of them doesn't work?

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently bought an EZ flash 4 to play GBA games on my Ds lite after seeing alot of good reviews of the card.
Well my card work and save for 2 days then the battery was dead. ok , so I can't save anymore unless with soft resetting. The problem is half of the games I have tried does not soft rest whatever I do, I tried to change the version of my ez client and change the firmware to latest reset fix(which I don't know how it work anyway) and I search everywhere with no luck.
To add insult to injury, half of the games that require nor ram freezes at 254 and do not work while others work fine
I really get pissed by this crap flash , it's horrible
I'm I missing something here?
1-what is the difference of ezfla_up and ezfla_up reset fix both of them not making me able to soft reset the roms that didn't allow me to soft reset at the start?
2-what is exactly wrong with the nor?

why not change out the save battery?

Silentsurvivor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why not change out the save battery?

Not him obviously, but I found the battery save to be unreliable. Half of the time it wouldn't keep the save file correctly and I'd lost progress when turning the GBA on again. So I prefer resetting back and dumping manually everytime.

Omer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Silentsurvivor the sleephack only reset the game and don't bring the ez menu which I need in order to save my game, also my nor doesn't work at all on 7.2 firmware , it work only on 7.4.
driverdis : it's not easy to change the battery need soldering and I may end up with corrupted card

Silentsurvivor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the sleephack only reset the game and don't bring the ez menu which I need in order to save my game
Dude that's exactly what I said it does. Did you even try it before saying that? It resets back to the ez flash menu and dumps the save. I said I use it for games that don't reset with the EZtool patch.

This is it by the way: http://www.kuwanger.net/gba/sleephack/

For a patched game/homebrew, use L+R+Start to sleep, Select+Start to wake, and L+R+Start+Select to soft reset on an EZ-Flash IV.

Soft Reset means going back to the EZ menu and dumping the save. And that's what it does. I use it. You need to patch your ROM using the sleephack tool, then send it using the EZtool while unchecking the reset patch option. It works.

Omer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I tried to patch my game with it previously but I can't figure out how ! I drag and drop my rom into the sleephack tool and a window appear for a second and nothing happened. I read the instruction with the file but couldn't understand exactly how to patch ? can you explain in details please

Silentsurvivor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
'k, give me a few minutes, I'll come up with a quick tutorial.

EDIT: Alright

1. http://www.mediafire.com/download/hjkeqay4bq200kd/sleephack.7z Download this, it's the version of the sleephack I use. I'm not exactly sure if it's the same as in the link I sent before, but this is what I use and it works, so just to be sure.

2. Extract everything on your C:/ local disk. Don't put the files inside any folder, just leave it at C:, it'll make things easier.

3. grap your ROM and put it inside the C:/ disk as well together with the sleephack files. Rename it to something shorter because it'll make your job easier, example, I'm patching Zelda - Link To The Past, so I renamed it to "zlttp.gba"

4. Open the windows CMD. If you're on Windows 7, just type cmd on the Start Search bar and then execute cmd.exe. If you're on XP, go to programs > accessories > RUN, then type cmd.exe and run it.

5. On the CMD window, type "cd/" (without the ""s) and press enter.

6. Now you have to tell the program what you want to patch. The syntax works like this: "sleephack <name of the input ROM> <name of the patched output ROM>" So for example, I'm going to patch the zlttp.gba ROM I put in there before. So I type this:

"sleephack zlttp.gba patchedrom.gba" (without the ""s again). The actual command line will look like this just to be sure:

YvXNq8G.png

Then just press Enter.

It'll generate "patchedrom.gba" on C:/, and that's your patched ROM. Grab it on C: and rename it to whatever you want, them send it to the EZFlash IV using EZTool. REMEMBER, YOU MUST UNCHECK THE "RESET PATCH" BOX WHEN SENDING THE ROM

To reset your game, you press L+R+Start+Select for it to reset back to the EZ Flash Menu and dump your save.

Omer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks a lot Silent , I will try to do this and give you my feed back

Ok , I tried and after writing the command and pressing enter the patch was successful but the new rom is no where to found on my c drive, maybe because there is security that don't allow anything to be written on the c drive without permission and I don't know how to deactivate that
Editted : I patched it in c:\users directory not in the c: and it was patched fine now I will test

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES , it worked , although I used the first link which contained the reset patch , the second link contain only the sleep patch. Can't thank you enough Silent

One last thing . I heard that this patch cause glitches , did you encounter any ?

Silentsurvivor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES , it worked , although I used the first link which contained the reset patch , the second link contain only the sleep patch. Can't thank you enough Silent

One last thing . I heard that this patch cause glitches , did you encounter any ?

Haha, sorry to be late, but glad you were able to sort it out. As far as glitches to, I didn't find any. But I advise you to always use the Reset Patch in the EZtool when it works. I just use sleephack for the games that can't be reset patched with it as I mentioned before. Either way, it's always guaranteed that if one doesn't work, the other will.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @E1ite007, I just found this randomly.