Direct X 11.1 is Windows 8 exclusive, no plans to retrofit

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You can still click the bottom left corner to get to the Start Menu if you really want, you know. You can also right click it for some more advanced options.
I think he means the old-style Start Menu.
Fucking Microsoft. This is Vista all over again.
Oh no! Microsoft supports their latest operating system and not one from three years back that's soon going to become a legacy system, just like Windows 95 did when 98 entered the scene!

What will we EVER do! After all, we can only upgrade for a small fee! :O

C'mon people, it's not like Apple isn't doing the exact same thing with their revisions of the OSX.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I gotta agree that Windows 8 is not that bad, putting the polemic "Metro" UI aside since you can always set it to use the old style desktop. It even got the Live Store (Linux distros have been using something similar for ages and Apple already had it for some time). I mean in other Windows version you would have to update your softwares manually, with the Live store you can update all your software on a regular basis automatically. It's faster, it uses less resources and is much like the W7. What it's not to like? ^^

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What I'm looking at the most are system resources and how the OS uses them. So-far, Windows has been known to be wasteful as all hell when it comes to RAM and the CPU, in Windows 8's case, I've seen it run on a *128MB RAM* build in an untouched state with Aero turned on, and it did so smoothly... once it loaded, of course (took the guy who filmed it 2-3 hours). :P

That in itself is a sign that guys and gals at Microsoft were not farting into their seats all day long and actually optimized the system - it packs more features while leaving a smaller footprint, making it the perfect system especially for netbooks and other portable computers with a low amount of total memory and calculation power.

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this old marketing gimmick is getting old, they should change their strategy
considering there are millions people still using XP/Vista and didn't bother anything about their OS

once you turn on your computer , your first move is to click your internet browser.
that's why ChromeOS exists

D

Deleted_171835

I think he means the old-style Start Menu.Oh no! Microsoft supports their latest operating system and not one from three years back that's soon going to become a legacy system, just like Windows 95 did when 98 entered the scene!

What will we EVER do! After all, we can only upgrade for a small fee! :O

C'mon people, it's not like Apple isn't doing the exact same thing with their revisions of the OSX.
Because I don't like the changes in Windows 8 and would prefer to use Windows 7 for the time being.

Not to mention the fact that Direct X 11.1 won't require anything special to Windows 8 and can be done on Windows 7 (and perhaps even Vista). This is just Microsoft being sleazy and trying to increase market-share for their new OS.

Reactions: DCG

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Because I don't like the changes in Windows 8 and would prefer to use Windows 7 for the time being.

Not to mention the fact that Direct X 11.1 won't require anything special to Windows 8 and can be done on Windows 7 (and perhaps even Vista). This is just Microsoft being sleazy and trying to increase market-share for their new OS.
At the very least they're offering an upgrade for $15 - that's not a huge price to pay for an entirely new operating system. ;)

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
I love Windows 8, it boots much faster, and overall performs better than 7.

As for the M$ store being a lockdown, how come Google can do tiles with Chrome, or Mozilla with FF?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Get out of your own ass. Even with DX9 these games still look plenty better than their console counterparts most of the time.
Well, of course they look okay - they were programmed with DX9 compatibility in mind, but that compatibility is soon to be cut. They're only developed that way as to facilitate easy porting to last generation consoles which are being phased out now - it's not going to take long before DX11 will become the staple of all big productions - it's already being used and it will be used more and more often until DX9 is fully dropped. My comment was sarcastic but accurate - using DX9 at this point in time is living in the past, really - you're two versions behind the standard.

D

Deleted_171835

Get out of your own ass. Even with DX9 these games still look plenty better than their console counterparts most of the time.
Support for DX9 won't stay forever. Looking at Steam's Hardware Survey, there are only about 3% of users still using DX9 cards (32.79% are DX10, 50.89% are DX11). The only reason they still have DX9 support is because of the consoles (and that will change come next-gen).

Reactions: Foxi4

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Then congrats on totally missing the boat, folks. The point here is that Windows 8 will include 11.1 only is not the end of the damn world. Devs are not going to sit there and make 11.1 only games and publishers sure as shit won't. They are going to make them for the majority market. You're perfectly correct that XP is going out to the pastures and DX9 will go with it but that isn't reason to care about 11.1 being Windows 8 only.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
DX10 and up not backwards compatible with DX9 though, and it's been taking game companies ages to move their rendering engines over to DX10. The early examples of "DX10" games like Crysis weren't, they were DX9 games with DX10 shaders on top (contributing to the terrible performance). Even now many companies are still holding off from "crossing the line", and including both <=DX9 and DX10+ rendering engines is too expensive.

Generally you can tell if a game is using a DX10+ rendering engine if the requirements specifically list DX10 (as DX10+ cards on XP and such work in DX9 mode), but as with Crysis, they can fudge the details.

Anyways I have my doubts about the app store, but the metro interface and the possibility of lock-in are the big killers. Like, Windows 8 could give free fellatio via a USB port dongle, and I would still hesitate until those issues are solved.

Reactions: Foxi4

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
One positive thing about 8.
My acers battery lasted almost an entire day... Forgot to shut it down propperly and put it on my dest at 12pm.
At 17.50 I noticed the acer was on in my bag (it was warm...) Battery had degraded till 7%, but it was still running :s
(only the screen was off the entire time).

But anyway, other than ISO's, battery life (how is that relevant if I use a power plug??), some other system performance upgrades. Windows 8 it too much "In your face bitch, buy a tablet!".

And I guess the start button is just the beginning, if people don't complain, the "classic homescreen" will probably disappear too...
(Why the hell don't they give you the option to configure metro, aero etc. during instalation?)

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would rather severly harm myself with a rusty spoon than call a glorified web browser an OS and actually use it. Seriously, Android has a deeper level of complexity.
That "glorified web browser" saved me hours of: "hi my son, how do I turn on the internet?"
believe me... that's the OS that goes on your gradma's notebook

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That "glorified web browser" saved me hours of: "hi my son, how do I turn on the internet?"
believe me... that's the OS that goes on your gradma's notebook
Ah, yes - that's the perfect target audience for it, here we agree. If you don't want to do anything productive in your life and don't want to use even a fraction of the computer's full potential or aren't capable to do so, ChromeOS is the perfect choice. :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2: istg if lose another game of minesweeper