Hacking Digimon World Re:Digitize - Translation

Dart6672

Trophies
XP
Country
No need to shoot down peoples opinion based questions either, this is a forum that is used for questions and opinions based on this translation and probable future additions. In any case, Sporky wouldn't the UMDGen method work to apply the patch the iso format?

Sporky McForkinspoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sporky, if romsstar gets all working would there be new custom digimon well not custom but just ones for example you favor?
Or would it just be taken from re code and injected into this?
That will depend a lot on how things shake out, and how much work he puts in to it. It's possible that he will only be able to add Digimon that already exist in the game but which aren't playable, like the BlackWarGreymon line and Jijimon. Transferring data from Decode would mean reverse engineering a new shader added to Decode that for reasons I don't understand doesn't work on Re Digitize. Making new Digimon entirely would be a crazy amount of work, and I doubt that will ever happen.

let's just focus on the base translation for now shall we? no need for us get our hopes up for stuff that might not ever happen IMO.
A very good idea.

No need to shoot down peoples opinion based questions either, this is a forum that is used for questions and opinions based on this translation and probable future additions. In any case, Sporky wouldn't the UMDGen method work to apply the patch the iso format?
UMDGen does work, and I believe it's part of the way in which Romsstar creates patches. For end users to use UMDGen would be a lot more complicated and require that files we release be much larger than necessary. XDelta works a lot better for the vast majority of use cases.

Reactions: dimmidice

Cha0tic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That will depend a lot on how things shake out, and how much work he puts in to it. It's possible that he will only be able to add Digimon that already exist in the game but which aren't playable, like the BlackWarGreymon line and Jijimon. Transferring data from Decode would mean reverse engineering a new shader added to Decode that for reasons I don't understand doesn't work on Re Digitize. Making new Digimon entirely would be a crazy amount of work, and I doubt that will ever happen..

Thanks for the reply was curious on what was going to be done, so I and hopefully others don't get there hopes up of expecting brand new digimons.

Also how does he do so adding digimon that already exist?
Don't have any experience in rom hacking and not much asm but I do have experience in plenty of coding and languages so curious to how its done.

Sporky McForkinspoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply was curious on what was going to be done, so I and hopefully others don't get there hopes up of expecting brand new digimons.

Also how does he do so adding digimon that already exist?
Don't have any experience in rom hacking and not much asm but I do have experience in plenty of coding and languages so curious to how its done.
I'm just a language guy, so I only know the dubmed down version he tells me, but basically, the BWGreymon line already exists in the game because Yuuya, one of the other humans in the game, has him as his partner. He has been working to make that data available to the player by hacking in evolution requirements for them, more than that I don't really know. This appears to cause a problem somewhere though, because as soon as you have one of the hacked Digimon and open the menu, when it tries to display the evolution data, the game crashes. That's basically the extent of my knowledge, except that adding new Digimon is difficult primarily because we don't have the source code, and instead are having to mod the assembler written by the compiler.

Cha0tic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just a language guy, so I only know the dubmed down version he tells me, but basically, the BWGreymon line already exists in the game because Yuuya, one of the other humans in the game, has him as his partner. He has been working to make that data available to the player by hacking in evolution requirements for them, more than that I don't really know. This appears to cause a problem somewhere though, because as soon as you have one of the hacked Digimon and open the menu, when it tries to display the evolution data, the game crashes. That's basically the extent of my knowledge, except that adding new Digimon is difficult primarily because we don't have the source code, and instead are having to mod the assembler written by the compiler.

I see, the issue with new digimon. You're using whats there. Its similar to a hackfix no?
I can see what maybe the issues, I haven't tampered with the game and the files so I maybe completely wrong and you may know this already. My assumption is when you open the evo data the game transmits the data to open the evo data, and each digimon has that data there. But since for example bwgreymon wasn't meant for the players the data/coding whatever someone would call it isn't there which results in the game crashing? Thats my guess

Sporky McForkinspoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see, the issue with new digimon. You're using whats there. Its similar to a hackfix no?
I can see what maybe the issues, I haven't tampered with the game and the files so I maybe completely wrong and you may know this already. My assumption is when you open the evo data the game transmits the data to open the evo data, and each digimon has that data there. But since for example bwgreymon wasn't meant for the players the data/coding whatever someone would call it isn't there which results in the game crashing? Thats my guess
That sounds likely, but as I get all of my information on the subject secondhand, I can't say for certain.

Cha0tic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That sounds likely, but as I get all of my information on the subject secondhand, I can't say for certain.

Well hopefully you guys can make a workaround for it, would be awesome to see some other digimon. :)
Also noticed the above, my english and grammar was terrible missing to much words. xD
Its late over here so I'll blame that.
Nice work been following you guys since the start keep it up. :)

Sporky McForkinspoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well hopefully you guys can make a workaround for it, would be awesome to see some other digimon. :)
Also noticed the above, my english and grammar was terrible missing to much words. xD
Its late over here so I'll blame that.
Nice work been following you guys since the start keep it up. :)
I am completely confident that if he wants to put in the time to do so, Romsstar can make it happen. It's mostly a question of what project he wants to spend the most time on. He seems pretty excited about his DW1 hack and translating Decode, since it's an all around better game, so I would be somewhat surprised if he ends up finishing the new Digimon hack.

Cha0tic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am completely confident that if he wants to put in the time to do so, Romsstar can make it happen. It's mostly a question of what project he wants to spend the most time on. He seems pretty excited about his DW1 hack and translating Decode, since it's an all around better game, so I would be somewhat surprised if he ends up finishing the new Digimon hack.

Im excited for decode, I'm hoping it goes faster then this version. Going from decode to normal redigitize is just hard for me, I don't want to let go of my veemon. Also romstar is head of http://dwprojectark.com/ ?
If so I would love for that to be finished world 1 was my first digimon game and to see it redone and improved and updated is awesome. Hopefully one day it'll be finished and not abandoned.

Sporky McForkinspoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I expect that Decode will be faster than Re Digitize was. We already have a team and a set of tools, so we won't have nine months where we can't get anything done.

We're not in any way affiliated with that project, I actually only heard about it about two weeks ago. We try to stay at least relatively close to legal, and Project Ark, while awesome, sadly, is blatantly copyright infringing.

Cha0tic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I expect that Decode will be faster than Re Digitize was. We already have a team and a set of tools, so we won't have nine months where we can't get anything done.

We're not in any way affiliated with that project, I actually only heard about it about two weeks ago. We try to stay at least relatively close to legal, and Project Ark, while awesome, sadly, is blatantly copyright infringing.

That's good news then, you're all just waiting to finish this project? Or are you guys gonna take a bit of break before going into the maddness?

Oh crap, then mind showing me romstars hack?

Sporky McForkinspoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's good news then, you're all just waiting to finish this project? Or are you guys gonna take a bit of break before going into the maddness?

Oh crap, then mind showing me romstars hack?
I think we'll probably take a few days off, but not long. I can't show you his hack, the files are all on his computer. I doubt he'll give them out though, he's a little touchy about that kind of thing.

Dart6672

Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm regarding the crash when you try to view the data isn't that the basic data not found crash? At least from the information given that's the most likely I can think off, if so would it perhaps be possible to string up some fake data or divert the data request to Wargreymon's data? As I recall in DW 1 MetalEtemon and Etemon shared the same slot in the evolution line.

Sporky McForkinspoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm regarding the crash when you try to view the data isn't that the basic data not found crash? At least from the information given that's the most likely I can think off, if so would it perhaps be possible to string up some fake data or divert the data request to Wargreymon's data? As I recall in DW 1 MetalEtemon and Etemon shared the same slot in the evolution line.
That could be it, certainly, but I don't think I can explain the depth of my lack of understanding of the subject. I haven't seen any of the data or anything, and I have no experience with ASM hacking.

Cha0tic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think we'll probably take a few days off, but not long. I can't show you his hack, the files are all on his computer. I doubt he'll give them out though, he's a little touchy about that kind of thing.

you guys deserve it.
Ah okay, I thought he may have the project up somewhere, are you allowed to give details of the hack?
What exactly is trying to achieve?

Sporky McForkinspoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you guys deserve it.
Ah okay, I thought he may have the project up somewhere, are you allowed to give details of the hack?
What exactly is trying to achieve?
Uh... I feel like I'm having some de ja vu here. He's trying to make new Digimon, like BlackWarGreymon, playable in Re Digitize. Did I not make that clear?

Reactions: dimmidice

Dart6672

Trophies
XP
Country
It shouldn't be much bigger than a gigabyte, much like the original game.
The patch I currently have is 1 019 MB big.
i highly doubt that since the game itself is already 1 GB in size, plus if you read earlier messages Sporky did say it won't be that big since its mainly text and such.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Wlak past the light and kill that giant mosquito.