HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DidYouKnowGamingLogo.jpg

UPDATE (April 29th 2023): As of April 29th, DidYouKnowGaming? has managed to recover it's channel, but even so, the channel may change again. If there are any further news, I'll update this article.

UPDATE (May 2nd 2023): DidYouKnowGaming? has posted a video on their recovered flagship channel, explaining the situation.

The original article is left below for context.

The popular Youtube channel DidYouKnowGaming? was recently hacked and rebranded as the cryptocurrency company "Ripple", to post what apparently was a video on their official channel (the reposted video has now been taken down by Youtube). The hacker (or hackers) managed to take over the account and remove every video on the channel, erasing approximately ten years worth of videos.

As of this writing, no other channels maintained by NormalBoots (including the secondary channel DYKG Clips) have been affected. This is not the first time a Youtube video channel has been hacked to display cryptocurrency scams, as one month earlier, Linus Tech Tips was hacked for the very same reason.

Youtube is currently working with the team at DidYouKnowGaming? to recover the lost videos. In the meantime, several backups exist on other Youtube channels and on Internet Archive.

:arrow: Source

Last edited by HarveyHouston,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
YouTube/Google always states such a damage can't be undone (they are probably not obliged to do so... and do not want to handle countless service requests by people who "accidentally" did something stupid ).
But they can undo such things. They did with Jim Browning channel.

Reactions: CoolMe

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YouTube/Google always states such a damage can't be undone (they are probably not obliged to do so and do not want to handle countless service requests by people who "accidentally" did something stupid ).
But they can undo such things. They did with Jim Browning channel.
Hopefully NormalBoots is wise enough to have done what your signature suggests...

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol what

These are people using Crypto in evil ways so how is an inanimate object guilty here? Are you gonna say cars are evil because they run over people?

Oh wait, it's psychos who do that.
I use the same argument with guns and ammunition. Guns and ammo aren't evil, its the intent of the user. Guns and ammo do not kill people. People kill people with guns and ammo.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
That doesn't make any sense, especially since governments are making their own Crypto coins themselves.

If Crypto has to be banned because of scammers, then fiat money itself would have to be, too.
Since it only seem to be a big wild west. Regulate it or remove it. It's that simple.

Reactions: AngryCinnabon

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since it only seem to be a big wild west. Regulate it or remove it. It's that simple.
Don't worry as with CBDC you'll only be allowed to buy what they want you to. (:

Isn't that fun!

I use the same argument with guns and ammunition. Guns and ammo aren't evil, its the intent of the user. Guns and ammo do not kill people. People kill people with guns and ammo.
Yep, it's like people can't seem to use their brains and common sense.

For example, in London, England there's a lot of stabbings, but it's not the knives who do the stabbing themselves, it's horrible people. Better not talk about that or they'll ban that, too. lol

Reactions: Henx

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Don't worry as with CBDC you'll only be allowed to buy what they want you to. (:

Isn't that fun!

Yep, it's like people can't seem to use their brains and common sense.

For example, in London, England there's a lot of stabbings, but it's not the knives who do the stabbing themselves, it's horrible people. Better not talk about that or they'll ban that, too. lol

1) I don't like crypto at all so meh
2) Ammo and guns... yeah, knives only have one job right?

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This also happened to some guy I was subscribed to, eventually he managed to get his channel back, I think, along with his videos. Or made another one, not sure.
I wish the motherfuckers that do this kinda things would actually get comeuppance for what they do, but as we live in an unjust world, they'll get away scot-free. So I can only wish these human scum the worse, hopefully death. Because fuck them.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!