Hacking Devolution - Public Release

Traveller777

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey all. I just have a couple of questions.

- Devolution can play any region games right? If I were to rip an NTSC disk and play it on a PAL system it would work?
- Do the emulated memory cards run out of space? If so do the games automatically see all the save files regardless?

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico

- Devolution can play any region games right? If I were to rip an NTSC disk and play it on a PAL system it would work?
- Do the emulated memory cards run out of space? If so do the games automatically see all the save files regardless?
Yes, I have two Japanese games running with Devo on my NTSC Wii.

The emulated memory cards have the same size limit as the maximum possible size, which is 16MB/128Mb
Theoretically you can run out of space but 16MB is enough for who knows how much. You probably won't fill it but in the event that you do, I think USB Loader GX can let you specify a MC per game. Even if it's filled you will still be able to use it; save files do not grow in size.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

Supposedly, Devolution can play different region games AFAIK.
As for the emulated memory card, if you do a raw dump, the memory card I THINK has the same amount of space as the memory card dumped. Although, Ive heard that you can open the RAW in Dolphin and extend the size of the memory card.
You can try it out.

WiinerMario

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys has anyone else had a problem were devolution works for anywhere between 1-30 minutes and then freezes or brings up an error message and then returns to the HBC. It also seems to loop the music for a few seconds and then the problem occurs and does this with all my rips. If anyone has any suggestions they are much appreciated and thanks in advance.:)

Shiranui-san

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, so theres no easy way to rip my memory cards and just use them all as emulated backups, without having to swap out the .bin files?
You can use gcmm_1.4c to create a raw backup of your memory card, or a gci backup of any savefile stored on it.
Is there a button combination on the Wii classic controller pro that resets back to the homebrew channel, from devolution?
Not in the Classic Controller Pro itself, but in the Wiimote or in the Wii: just press the power button once and you should be taken back to HBC.
Hey guys has anyone else had a problem were devolution works for anywhere between 1-30 minutes and then freezes or brings up an error message and then returns to the HBC. It also seems to loop the music for a few seconds and then the problem occurs and does this with all my rips. If anyone has any suggestions they are much appreciated and thanks in advance.:)
First time I read something like this. Which error message do you get?

WiinerMario

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The message is "An error has occurred, turn off the nintendo gamecube and read the instruction manual". It works perfectly with my original gamecube discs.

Kikirini

Zelda Fangirl
Trophies
Website
kuroshouri.com
XP
Country
United States
Not in the Classic Controller Pro itself, but in the Wiimote or in the Wii: just press the power button once and you should be taken back to HBC.

I wonder if it works differently on vWii. Whenever I press the power button, nothing happens, and holding it obviously resets the entire console.

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if it works differently on vWii. Whenever I press the power button, nothing happens, and holding it obviously resets the entire console.
Sounds like you're using a forwarder channel and some USBLoader. Launch the HBC first, then the USBLoader from there, and it should exit to the HBC when you hold the power button.

Shiranui-san

Trophies
XP
Country
The message is "An error has occurred, turn off the nintendo gamecube and read the instruction manual". It works perfectly with my original gamecube discs.
No idea about what the problem could be. Try deleting all the DVV files and verify your titles again, using a different version of Devolution.
Can't tell, unfortunately I don't own a WiiU.

jFar920

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
jordanfirari.com
XP
Country
United States
So I just bought Mario Kart and Kirby Air Ride and wanted to play them on my Wii U, so I tried. It worked fine on the Wii, but only a black screen on the Wii U. The SD card is a 32GB SDHC if it matters. Maybe I just picked two game that happened not to work on a Wii U

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
So I just bought Mario Kart and Kirby Air Ride and wanted to play them on my Wii U, so I tried. It worked fine on the Wii, but only a black screen on the Wii U. The SD card is a 32GB SDHC if it matters. Maybe I just picked two game that happened not to work on a Wii U

Redo the verification again for the game that doesn't boot on the Wii U.
The same thing happened to me with two games, one was Mario Sunshine and the other was Zelda Collector's Edition.

It happens because of a pairment issue with the Wiimote and the Devolution app.

Here are some quick steps:
1) Enter Devolution normally.
2) Select the game that you want to verify AGAIN, but don't click A just yet, before pressing A, press and HOLD the reset button of your Wii and then select the game.
Leave the Reset button pressed until the Wii disc drive starts flashing twice, once it is you can verify the game as if you would normally.
3) Once the game boots in your Wii, go ahead and try it again on a Wii U. If the game still doesn't boot, repeat the process until it does.
It took me three verifications to get Zelda Collector's Edition working on my Wii U.

wwfbrawler781

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Disc 1 of The Twin Snakes plays just fine, but when I have to switch to Disc 2 (I kept the generic name "GGSEA-disc2" for the .iso to be safe) the game loads disc 2, but it seems to slow to a crawl, basically becoming unplayable. I did the method of switching discs put in the Instructions (Minus + DPad Up). I even downloaded another .iso of Disc 2 from elsewhere to test if I just had a bad .iso, but it happened again. Even stranger, when a mini-cutscene happens (Game Over screen, guards flooding into the room) it runs normally, until I get control back. Anyone know what's the deal here?

EDIT: It seems to only be the first area of when the discs are swapped. All I had to do was to go to another area on Disc 2 and it goes back to normal. The only issue was that the first stage of Disc 2 is probably the single longest segment in the game. -_-

jFar920

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
jordanfirari.com
XP
Country
United States
Redo the verification again for the game that doesn't boot on the Wii U.
The same thing happened to me with two games, one was Mario Sunshine and the other was Zelda Collector's Edition.

It happens because of a pairment issue with the Wiimote and the Devolution app.

Here are some quick steps:
1) Enter Devolution normally.
2) Select the game that you want to verify AGAIN, but don't click A just yet, before pressing A, press and HOLD the reset button of your Wii and then select the game.
Leave the Reset button pressed until the Wii disc drive starts flashing twice, once it is you can verify the game as if you would normally.
3) Once the game boots in your Wii, go ahead and try it again on a Wii U. If the game still doesn't boot, repeat the process until it does.
It took me three verifications to get Zelda Collector's Edition working on my Wii U.

Problem for me though: My Wii has no light. Years ago it fell from a decent height and broke the front off, breaking the disc drive light. Would this need to be done immediately after it starts flashing or any time after? I will try this when I get a chance either way, so thank you!

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Problem for me though: My Wii has no light. Years ago it fell from a decent height and broke the front off, breaking the disc drive light. Would this need to be done immediately after it starts flashing or any time after? I will try this when I get a chance either way, so thank you!

After you select the game, hold the reset button for about 10-15 seconds just to be sure, then let it go and put the disc in. It should boot now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto