Hacking Devolution - Public Release

Motobug

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, that would be good but it is currently not possible. During gameplay it is the closed source Devolution Engine doing all the work and handling all the controls. All we can do is send different config flags to the engine from the launcher. Currently there is no flag for disabling that function, as far as I know. If tueidj adds a flag to disable it, then it will be possible.

The Classic Controller (NOT CC Pro) has analog shoulder buttons, do they work as analog gamecube shoulder buttons?

With the Mayflash adapter, the analog triggers on the GC controller work as analog, suprisingly.

squablo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using WaveBirds since the launch of Devolution. Is there some reason why nobody is using those instead of fooling around with adapters, dual shocks, etc? I mean, minus the rumble, why even bother with everything else? Wait a minute.....you guys are using Devo on WiiU aren't you?.......Just now thought of that. Well, I'm just going to keep using both Wii and WiiU for a while. I'm sure Nintendo will play firmware wars sooner or later.

Cisz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Does CC normal (not pro) have analog shoulders? :wtf:
Yes it does, and I can confirm that they work with Devolution.If you use "CC normal" everything should be as it should be, unless you press LZ. The LZ function should in fact not be needed at all for "CC normal".

I don't think they're actually analog but it sends the analog signal so I think it sends a full analog push AND a digital push OR nothing at all the pro version just sends the digital push
I think this video proves that they are analog, no? youtube.com/watch?v=GTsDsw32SIA

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Well that's weird, CC was initially designed to work as VC controller, and Gamecube was not in VC, there's no use for it, not even Wii games CC compatible had analog functionality . More strange is they ditched analog for the iteration CC Pro =P

Cisz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well that's weird, CC was initially designed to work as VC controller, and Gamecube was not in VC, there's no use for it, not even Wii games CC compatible had analog functionality . More strange is they ditched analog for the iteration CC Pro =P
Well, they might have intended to have it to be compatible with Gamecube games. I mean, Devolution has showed that it's possible. IGN even reported, like weeks before the Wii launched, that the Classic Controller would be able to be used for Gamecube games. Maybe it was a false assumption on IGN's part or maybe they had previously been told this. My guess is that Nintendo wanted that to work, but scrapped the idea in order to fix the essential software prior to launch.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Yes it does, and I can confirm that they work with Devolution.If you use "CC normal" everything should be as it should be, unless you press LZ. The LZ function should in fact not be needed at all for "CC normal".

I think this video proves that they are analog, no? youtube.com/watch?v=GTsDsw32SIA
Wow, okay, yes.
Sorry, shouldn't talk when I don't have one :shy:

Reactions: Cisz

tofast4u

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Wii can play DVD's since its the old one. If I burn a Gamecube game into a DVD can I use Devolution to vertify that backup DVD as a real GameCube game and let me run it through USB after?

YoshiKart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick bug report, although I don't know if tueidj will ever see it. Can someone confirm this bug (and also share the word so tueidj will be aware)?

CC = Classic Controller, CCP = Classic Controller Pro
When you plug in a CC, all of the analog shoulder buttons work as intended. However, if you plug in a CCP, then remove it and plug the CC back, analog no longer functions. Instead, the buttons are switched to what the CCP would have them (ZL and ZR are now the functional keys, and now L is C-stick toggle and R is Gamecube Z). This only applies to that specific Wiimote being used. Other Wiimotes in use won't be affected unless also "poisoned" by a CCP.

Basically, plugging in a CCP to any one Wiimote stops that Wiimote from having proper CC analog controls, forcing the CC to swap its original L/R with ZL/ZR. It's fixed upon reset, but it's a bit of an annoying bug when swapping out between the two.

Other than that, Devo looks absolutely flawless; much praises to your work, tueidj.

(Oh, and for those itching to play Luigi's Mansion, just work with C-stick emulation and move it down a little for L, and move down all the way for R. You can start this up for ghosts, then quickly toggle off C-stick emulation and use the right stick properly again. Iffy, but hey, a new challenge!)

Anybody having fun with the fact that for C-stick analog emulation, you can hold Mario in place (in SMS) without spraying water? Neat little quirk for something that was impossible with the original controller.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
My Wii can play DVD's since its the old one. If I burn a Gamecube game into a DVD can I use Devolution to vertify that backup DVD as a real GameCube game and let me run it through USB after?
It depends on your modchip. Very few modchips works with devolution. You need to try to see if it works, users can't tell you.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
it works with wiikey1 if you disable region free.
some users reported that they still have region free and it works for the same-region games/console, but it doesn't work for me so it might also depend on the wiikey firmware version.
Just try and you will know.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn