Hacking Devolution - Public Release

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Is it just me being paranoid or do the games actually play a little bit smoother than originally on my GC?
If Devolution does not use much processing overhead, they should be a bit smoother, as Wii mode runs at 1.5x Gamecube CPU and GPU speed. I thought the same when I tried Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 (which struggles a bit in GC mode).

starwarsfan541

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it just me being paranoid or do the games actually play a little bit smoother than originally on my GC?
If Devolution does not use much processing overhead, they should be a bit smoother, as Wii mode runs at 1.5x Gamecube CPU and GPU speed. I thought the same when I tried Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 (which struggles a bit in GC mode).

That makes sense, I always thought that Sonic the Fighters in Gems Collection had some framrate issues compared to the arcade version, but playing it on devolution seems to fix that easily.

starwarsfan541

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for double posting,

Is it possible to verify with one wii with working DVD drive and then put the SD and USB card in a wii with a non-working drive so it doesn't need to be verified?

thevoiceover

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for double posting,

Is it possible to verify with one wii with working DVD drive and then put the SD and USB card in a wii with a non-working drive so it doesn't need to be verified?

Nope, that would just pretty much defeat the purpose for AP. Then we could just d/l the security for any particular title...

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
you can move your drive to the other wii
Tried that... and Devolution flashed the drive LED twice, asking for the disc to verify in the second Wii. The short of it is that Devolution seems to tie each game to the specific Wii which has verified the disc. Previously verified games worked again when I switched the drive back.

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Yes, swapping the working DVD drive into the other Wii would allow discs to be verified on that machine... and is also probably beyond many users' abilities. Basically, they would have to leave both Wiis dissassembled in order to switch the working DVD reader back and forth for Devolution's disc verification check.

Games Xtreme

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
gamesxtremes-gaming-and-modding.blogspot.de
XP
Country
Germany
Would be nice to get a log from the only game that seems to have problems with the emulated memory cards.

The Log for Phantasy Star Online Episode 1&2 (PAL Version) is now ready. :)

I finally found out how to sucessfully log over WIFI :D (Best results for me with Windows XP Proffesional 32Bit and "Netcat for Windows (without -e)"

Games Xtreme

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Germany
No sign of a crash in that log.
I think I see the problem we running into here. I've done the logging again without dumping the output into a text file so I can see results in realtime as the time the game is running.
The logging gives the same output as if I log in the text file but the logging stops right before the "Video Mode Selection Screen". It doesn't proceed to log anything like the Video Mode Selection, the Intro, the EULA Screen and the screen where you confirm the time/date settings. After confirming the time/date settings, the Wii reboots.

Games Xtreme

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Germany
Are you selecting "Yes" or "No" at that confirmation screen? Read the text very carefully...
DAMN!!! What for a tiny little freaking mistake!! :wtf:
Here it says "Zurück zu den Kalender Einstellungen?" (which I think translates to: "Return to System Menu to change date/time settings?").

Now it runs perfectly fine.

VERY BIG THANKS to you!

PS: Wiki entry is now updated for the PAL version.

tueidj

I R Expert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yo Dawg...
pso_wii.jpg

we heard you like online games, so we put a gamecube modem in your wii's wifi. Works with custom DNS servers just like a real cube.

This will only be a temporary solution until I get time to tackle BBA emulation properly (since it's a lot easier to emulate a serial device than something with a whole bunch of undocumented registers).

Reactions: 8 people

Ace Overclocked

My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yo Dawg...
pso_wii.jpg

we heard you like online games, so we put a gamecube modem in your wii's wifi. Works with custom DNS servers just like a real cube.

This will only be a temporary solution until I get time to tackle BBA emulation properly (since it's a lot easier to emulate a serial device than something with a whole bunch undocumented registers).
Man, i feel so bad for giving my PSO Game away...
Great job.

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Good, too bad I cant use it.
(Because I cant use Devolution with ANY game - I simply cant verify anything)
Edit: yes my wii can play gamecube, no its not scratched, no my drive is not dead, yes the game works in disc channel

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2: istg if lose another game of minesweeper