Curiosity Has Landed

您好

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I hope they find something interesting there for a change.
And even if they did, we probably wouldn't know about it untill the government decide to let the public know about it.

DaRk_ViVi

Sending you back... to the future!
Trophies
Website
www.darkvivi.it
XP
Country
Italy
Why are the images black and white ?
Maybe it's because the latency between Earth and Mars is way to big to send us an HD Color pic.

EDIT: :ninja:

Actually the problem is not that, it's just that during the landing sequence most of the cameras were shut off (I guess to keep them safe or something), but by the end of the week we will start getting HD color pictures and videos ;)
Btw the B/W cameras are in pair to provide 3D pictures too.

If everything went good, Curiosity should have recorded also a color video of the landing.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, just a few updates...

Here's an ongoing discussion of the mission on Reddit. If you want an explanation of what's going, on everything works, etc., this should cover all the bases.

And here's a funny little gif from the control room after the successful landing...
B8mDT.gif

Reactions: 6 people

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is the first high resolution picture from Curiosity:
673559main_msl5_946-710.jpg

No signs of tripods yet, so that's encouraging.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is so flipping cool. I cant wait for them to find some form of life so we can finally put more wonders of ours to rest.
Im curious as to what they will do if they discover ancient bacteria or somthing of the sort. Will they study it from the rover or can they send something to retrieve the bacteria?

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is so flipping cool. I cant wait for them to find some form of life so we can finally put more wonders of ours to rest.
Im curious as to what they will do if they discover ancient bacteria or somthing of the sort. Will they study it from the rover or can they send something to retrieve the bacteria?

If I remember correctly, the rover is equipped to analyze samples of the Martian surface. The data (but not the sample itself) would then be sent back to NASA, who would review the findings.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The only thing I worry about, is if something truly incredible is discovered from this mission, the Government will hoard it away in their vast information vaults, far from the prying eyes of the public.
True yes. But still incredible news to hear we've mastered another frontier! Wow, real chills.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, not to be the raincloud that storms on the parade but its not like this is new, as far as I can tell the only different from this and the other two(?) probes we have on the planet is its in a different area and it takes HD pictures. And even if we did happen to find something there its a high possibility that there wont even be PLANS to send another rover (nevertheless people) for atleast another 10 or 20 years, and even IF that happens and somehow they find the funding to launch a exploration to Mars and actually manage to build some sort of base, its going to be a LONG time before it becomes viable to do any sort of mass development (Those biodomes and bases and shit) plus at the rate we are going Space Travel will never be easy.

TL;DR

Ill start shitting rainbows and talking about Mass Relays when were sipping Coca-Cola on a red desert while getting my freakishly chrimson tan on (and also wouldn't all that rusty color hurt your eyes?)

Supreme Dirt

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Some of us are incredibly fascinated by space in general don't forget.

Astronomy was what I was going to study until I realized there's no point because there really isn't a Canadian space program.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some of us are incredibly fascinated by space in general don't forget.

Astronomy was what I was going to study until I realized there's no point because there really isn't a Canadian space program.

Yeah, your right. But still, its not exactly like its the first time Mars has been seen, hell. If we got one on like, Venus or Puto (something radically different from our world.) then I could see everyone yelling about man taking huge steps forward and all.

saviorkross

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These people are amazing who design these robotic machines and gets them to their destination, the amount af variables that could go wrong on the mission.....truly astounding!

You give them too much credit. I mean, it's not like it's rocket scie...oh wait, carry on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto