Curiosity Has Landed

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just hope that if it does pick something up, like intelligent life forms, some awesome person with access to the footage or pix will leak it before it is hidden away from the public.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Another explanation I heard on TV which might help people who don't understand why going to Mars and not the Moon.

First, it's not Expansive.
It may looks like it is, but the cost for sending Curiosity to Mars (~2.5 billion) is the same as the cost for two days spent making war in Afghanistan and Iraq by USA.
If people stopped hitting on each other and worked together, we would advance more faster.

Now about what the guy said on TV:
Everyone already once wonder "are we alone in the universe?".
With the size of the universe, there's many possibility that there are another starts (suns) somewhere with some planets around them. These planets could be placed at the distance which is favorable for life, water, etc.

But nothing says that life IS coming from water.
Maybe life form as we know it is something from our planet only, and life is not appearing by itself everywhere just because the condition for life are met.
We are still wondering how life appeared, what created it.

What we know on Mars is that it had water on it 2 billion years ago.
If water is enough to spawn life, then there will be trace of it on Mars.

Finding these traces of life on another planet would definitely confirm that life CAN be formed anywhere, as long as water is present and conditions are met.
Not only Earth can have life. ALL planet near enough of their sun can host potential life form.

*** (end of the explanation of the guy on TV) ***

It will not help humanity, it will not help the future.
It is just that the human is curious, and finding proof of what we think, that is a big step in our knowledge.

It's like the Higgs Boson. We suspected it but didn't have proof.
Now he have proof that ALL our theories based on that unsure but potentially true idea was correct.

It's only finding proof that what we suspect is what we suspected!
Human just love killing the cat by looking into the box.
We like proofs, we are curious, Curiosity will hopefully provide them.

Now, I'm waiting for this :
Where is that stature dammit ?!!
That's a joke, but that would be funny if they found something like that :lol:
gallery_746_245_42971.jpg

It's from Space Brother's anime, it takes place around 2030.
Showing Nasa and Jaxa training centers to become astronauts.
The anime started at the same time that Dragon reached ISS, they are showing few NASA pictures at the end of each episodes (no Dragon picture though)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
They are sent by electromagnetic radiation (radio waves ;)).

It's only sending data, no matter. (next expedition will be a go and back, but Curiosity is a single way travel).
The Chemcam is analyzing the density and structure of the rocks by laser. (it's the French labs which created it :P).
These data are only numeric, and sent like any other data through space, like the photo we received.

Reactions: 1 person

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
http://news.cnet.com...built-for-mars/

A very interesting write-up about the computing technology aboard the rover (don't worry, it's not too technical). Surprisingly, it's pretty slow and has relatively small about of memory. In fact, it's pretty close to the tech-specs of the 3DS :P. The reasons for the meager specs, as one might expect, are because of the high physical rigors of space flight and such.

It's also in the several-day process of installing a firmware update called "R10". If that isn't down-to-earth and familiar to us I don't know what is. :D
inb4 haxor? --I'm sure little green men are already working on an exploit. Be patient.

Reactions: 3 people

dorayaki95

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Imagine this :

What if they were to hide the existence of microbial lifeforms on Mars from us due to orders from top-brass governing bodies, say to prevent panic among us that aliens do exist? I'm just merely speculating. After all, we are only going to see images that NASA will publish, and we can't really do anything much about it.

Anyway, i am actually very excited with Curiosity's journey as it gives us hope that we are indeed not alone. Still, I'm having goosebumps whenever my brain relates Curiosity's landing to the landing of Prometheus in the movie.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Imagine this :

What if they were to hide the existence of microbial lifeforms on Mars from us due to orders from top-brass governing bodies, say to prevent panic among us that aliens do exist? I'm just merely speculating. After all, we are only going to see images that NASA will publish, and we can't really do anything much about it.

I kind of doubt that everyone in the world would crap their pants and go batshit crazy at the the thought of microbial lifeforms being alive on Mars.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Imagine this :

I kind of doubt that everyone in the world would crap their pants and go batshit crazy at the the thought of microbial lifeforms being alive on Mars.
Well if they spread it could be a new form of Montazuma's revenge?

D

Deleted User

Ah, I love the plethora of parody Twitter feeds out there relating to this rover

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Imagine this :

Well if they spread it could be a new form of Montazuma's revenge?

I sure hope so! I loved that game!

Yeah, I know what you were referring to. Don't scold me pls. ;_;

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, on that android PC? +1