Crytek facing serious trouble, Homefront director resigns

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
The first Crysis was incredible, it still is among the best FPSes of all time. Those saying otherwise haven't finished it (or even actually played it for more than a few minutes), especially at the time of its release, probably due to its heavy requirements...

And no, at least for the original Crysis, it was not all about graphics, the gameplay was stellar and actually deeper than what passes for an FPS the last 4-5 years. I don't get how games like Bioshock Infinite can be considered "masterpieces" but the original Crysis "had no gameplay"... BS...

But it went downhill from there...

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that...that was sarcasm right? Soul Suspect bombed in the market...causing the company to immediately close its doors.

To be fair, the company was in such dire straights that they closed before the sales data was even in. Even if the game smashed records, they couldn't afford to keep their doors open.

Wasn't Crytek initially made in part from old Rare employes? ..don't remember for sure..

You're thinking of Free Radical, which made Timesplitters, which was great. They were acquired by Crytek. Unfortunately, all they've been used for, iirc, is making the multiplayer for the later Crysis games, which isn't so great.

Reactions: Walker D

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Couldn't have happened to a more deserving company. :whip:

This is what happens when you try to be another id but then bitch about basic bug fixing and optimizations, and throw your core audience under the bus to pursue what ill deserved dollars you think are coming to you. :teach:

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I call bullshit. They don't earn millions upon millions for game sales, just to be left "hurting". I smell a scam.

Sounds like someone missed the part where they squandered millions investing in failed projects in their vain attempts to chase fad market trends (A F2P shooter, a MOBA, etc.).

Plus, a game can make millions and still sink the company depending on the budget.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
We've had several Tomb raider "reboot" attempts, and this one seemed to be the only semi-successful one.
The point XrosBlader821 is making isn't that just because a game INCOME is in millions that the PROFIT is in the same range. I'm not familiar with homefront, but it's certainly possible that the costs of it being in development are becoming so large that it's becoming too unlikely to actually becoming something profitable once it releases.

And the sales numbers AAA-games need to break before breaking even is fucked up in and of itself. To be honest, I wish it WAS a scam. That way, it would only be a matter of getting rid of the ones running off with the money. The truth is, however, that games cost an incredible amount of work to make. Which causes situations like this to occur.

Reactions: CathyRina

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: Just started God of War 2 on the PS2