Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ejHHyhX.jpg

You might remember Crytek for their various games and franchises, like the original Far Cry and Crysis. You might know them better for their engines and beautiful visuals. What you might not know, however, is that it seems the company is basically on the verge of falling apart.

That's right: We've got a Crysis Alert.

As Crytek continues to face financial difficulties, we're hearing of more departures at the troubled company. This week, Homefront: The Revolution game director Hasit Zala resigned from his position at Crytek UK, according to three people familiar with goings-on at the studio.

...Crytek UK development manager Ben Harris also left the studio this month, and a number of other people have either left or are openly looking for new employment as of this week, sources say. The exact number is hard to pin down, as Crytek UK is in flux as staff await news on the studio's future, but the departures includes senior leadership—just two weeks ago, studio head Karl Hilton confirmed to me that he was leaving his role, though he said he plans to stay within the company.

"It creates a weird scenario as there are now no upper management," said a person connected to Crytek UK. "Everything is just continuing on a downwards spiral."

"People haven't been paid for a long time," said a second person connected to the studio.
:arrow:Kotaku
[prebreak]Continue Reading...[/prebreak]
As it turns out, the North Koreans are capable of destroying the West after all. I mean, it's only a Western developer, and it's really more self-inflicted, but at least it's something.

But yeah. There have been continuing reports of trouble with the studio, from missed paychecks to delays to resigning staff members. A sequel to Ryse was even reportedly dropped. As it turns out, pouring money into the crowded marketplace of F2P shooters and MOBAs was not a very smart idea. Whoda thunk?

So, Homefront helped kill THQ and looks like it might finish Crytek. I'd call that a double kill.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh well. They Lion Head'd Crysis and that was their only notable games besides the horrible F2P FPS they released recently.

Sucks for the people working there, but as a whole it's not a big loss to the gaming world.

MegaAce™

Steal back your future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Is Crytek as a whole facing trouble, or only the UK branch? Because I only read UK. How's the German branch doing?

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is Crytek as a whole facing trouble, or only the UK branch? Because I only read UK. How's the German branch doing?

This comes in the wake of constant rumblings about missed paychecks and other troubles at Crytek, a multi-national video game developer that maintains offices across the world. Crytek's UK studio, which is based in Nottingham, is currently developing Homefront: The Revolution, an open-world shooter that debuted just before E3 earlier this year. Crytek is also known for theCrysis series and the recent Xbox One exclusive Ryse.

In June, Crytek representatives publicly denied that they were facing money troubles, but over the past few weeks, numerous reports have painted a different picture. Just this week, two people who recently left their jobs at Crytek's main studio in Germany told me they still haven't received their final paychecks.

The UK studio seems to be getting the worst of it, but the company as a whole is struggling.

Reactions: MegaAce™

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
They'd rather have their games with high graphics over paying their employees.

I've never been interested in any of their games because it's always graphics > gameplay.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Sounds about right. Been hearing about all the various issues Crytek has been having, and to be perfectly honest I'm pretty glad. Their F2P game Warface is fucking terrible, and I'm sure their MOBA will be too.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
Good graphics != good games

Watch dogs will attest to that and yet will not learn (hope i'm wrong in this)

Crysis was not only graphically awesome but much better in terms of gameplay. One of the few FPS games i have actually finished (inc. Metro Last Light that is also a graphical marvel)

That being said, lets hope they can change their focus and get back on their feet

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah I already heard about them having financial troubles.
I wish they had made more than FPS games and a bad Action Game so that I can care about this company.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
No upper management? Does that mean homefront is now an indie title? :P

Kind of sucks to be them. From what I've heard, ryse was just a mediocre game wrapped in awesome visuals, so I guess that project cost them more than they got out of it. :unsure:

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
Trophies
XP
Country
That's actually kinda sad, since I kinda like the Crysis games and the Cryengine can pump out some awesome visuals.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Sounds about right. Been hearing about all the various issues Crytek has been having, and to be perfectly honest I'm pretty glad. Their F2P game Warface is fucking terrible, and I'm sure their MOBA will be too.

I didn't even know this game existed..I looked up the GT review and saw that all weapons you buy with in-game currency are RENTED all I could think of was...good fucking riddance.

uh oh a couple of almost cancelled games that should have stayed dead I can think of are, Duke Nukem Forever (the original Win 98, Xbox 1), Too Human (PSX release date anyone!?), Ride To (mother fucking video game) Hell, and...Sonic 06 were rumored to be cancelled too...

I think all should have stayed cancelled...but DNF the original edition. At least should have been finished with the Quake Engine..at least it would have been a positive note in gaming history with the Xbox 1 and Windows 98. It might not have sold that great due to the unreal engine being more superior when the game would have been released..but consumers would have understood as the game development started before the unreal engine was born. If the gameplay would have been good and reminded us of classic Duke we would have loved lt :( hell the original trailer showed more depth and classic duke that we knew and love before that next gen crap.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I didn't even know this game existed..I looked up the GT review and saw that all weapons you buy with in-game currency are RENTED all I could think of was...good fucking riddance.

Welcome to every single F2P FPS on the planet.
The only real difference is this one looks pretty, plays like shit, and $$$ guns are way better. (well okay every F2P FPS is pay2win, except a couple)

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Wasn't Crytek initially made in part from old Rare employes? ..don't remember for sure..

well, hope they find a way to be less generic on their approaches, maybe that would help them to gain more market share (well, maybe now it's too late...)

ieatpixels

Trophies
XP
Country
I hated Homefront, it was full of cliches and bad pacing.

I'm glad there's a sink or swim agender in the gaming industry where developers of poor games are forced to rebranch and make better games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: because I already got burned out with breath of the wild, which for the most part is essentially...