Competition Time 2: The Designing of a Handheld

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
huh? it was just a fun little entry to show people that they can think outside the box.

-another world

;A; Really? And here I was going to talk you into doing a commission for a item on the esty page. Very good example. Now to see if I can contact the owner of that shop.

Mythrix

Trophies
XP
Country
huh? it was just a fun little entry to show people that they can think outside the box.
I actually had several crazier ideas, but I ended up picking something more reasonable (and boring). Mostly because I couldn't figure out how the ideas could practically work, and I wanted to just send some entry so I would stop thinking about the contest. :P

I do feel sorry for Hadrian, so I don't think I'll try to change my entry... I'm busy anyways, I've got games to play.

K3-ICHI-X

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
South Africa
gallery_164528_1569_346311.jpg

-Redemption-
Android OS 4.01 ICS
1.2ghz Dual Core Processor 6mb cache
Nano GPU ? 700ghz 256mb 256bit
H.264 Codec
1024MB Ram
128GB Internal Storage
Ext. SD storage Up to 256GB
Ext. Peripheral Port
Dimensions: 133m X 73.9 X 27.88mm
Connectivity:
- Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n
- Bluetooth
- HSPA+ 21.1mbps Data Modem
- GPS
Inputs:
- 3mp internal Camera
- 8mp external Camera with Carl Zeiss Flash
- 3.5mm Headset Input
- 2x Circle Pads
- 4-Way D-PAD
- 4 Buttons
- Left & Right Shoulder Buttons
- Full touch 3.53” HD Super AMOLED Display (320x240) Bottom
- Telescopic Stylist
- EXT. Peripheral Port

Outputs:
- 3.5mm Headset Input
- 4 LED indicators
- Power
- Wi-Fi
- Bluetooth
- GPRS/3G/HSPA Signal
- GPS
- 3.53” HD Super AMOLED Display (320x240) Top
- Full touch 3.53” HD Super AMOLED Display (320x240) Bottom
- Mini HDMI Full HD (1080p) Output
- 4-way Speakers (2x10w + 2x5w)
- Dual Vibration
- Gyroscope
- Accelerometer
- EXT. Peripheral Port

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's my entry. Hope everyone likes it, I worked a few hours in Photoshop on it.
https://dl.dropbox.c...11/handheld.png

This is my favorite by far. An adjustable control pad is the only good innovation over what's already out there that I could think of (we still seem to be in the age of wonky add-ons rather than technology that can adapt).

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Here's my entry. Hope everyone likes it, I worked a few hours in Photoshop on it.

This is my favorite by far. An adjustable control pad is the only good innovation over what's already out there that I could think of (we still seem to be in the age of wonky add-ons rather than technology that can adapt).
If you love adjustable controls, you're gonna love what I did XD I'm not done yet, though. Have a concept image ready, but need to type out a description because the image by itself hardly makes sense.
Edit: Although, if you don't like addons...

Okay, HEEERE it is! I think I made something truly unique here.
It's called the Flower:
[tag="image"]
gallery_262066_210_1592.png
[tag="description"]
Meet the first completely modular console, the Flower! Some of it's features are:
-Because it has no buttons, it has more internal space available than most handhelds. This allows it to produce graphics on par or sometimes even above with the PS Vita while having a longer battery life.
-Due to its highly modular nature, developers can easily add control schemes, sensors and things like that. Because the extensions will only have one I/O device, they will be pretty cheap for the most part.
-You don't like the control scheme? You're a lefty? Just swap the control addons around!
-The round screen gives you an experience you can get on no other handheld!
-Has 32GB internal storage. You can't add more, not until an addon is released that reads SD cards.
-Supports Wi-Fi 802.11 a/g/n.
-It's round.
-It has a menu button to return to the touch-screen home menu at any time. Your current game will be saved automatically.
-Games will be either downloadable or can be plugged in just like an addon.
-Turn it on by holding the home button for 5 seconds and turn it off by selecting "shut down" from the menu.
-Basic Control set included with the system: Includes two analog sticks, one D-pad and one ABXY button pad.

Reactions: 2 people

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If you love adjustable controls, you're gonna love what I did XD I'm not done yet, though. Have a concept image ready, but need to type out a description because the image by itself hardly makes sense.

It's called the Flower:
[tag="image"]
[tag="description"]
Meet the first completely modular console, the Flower! Some of it's features are:
-Because it has no buttons, it has more internal space available than most handhelds. This allows it to produce graphics on par or sometimes even above with the PS Vita while having a longer battery life.
-Due to its highly modular nature, developers can easily add control schemes, sensors and things like that. Because the extensions will only have one I/O device, they will be pretty cheap for the most part.
-You don't like the control scheme? You're a lefty? Just swap the control addons around!
-The round screen gives you an experience you can get on no other handheld!
-Has 32GB internal storage. You can't add more, not until an addon is released that reads SD cards.
-Supports Wi-Fi 802.11 a/g/n.
-It's round.
-It has a menu button to return to the touch-screen home menu at any time. Your current game will be saved automatically.
-Games will be either downloadable or can be plugged in just like an addon.
-Turn it on by holding the home button for 5 seconds and turn it off by selecting "shut down" from the menu.
-Basic Control set included with the system: Includes two analog sticks, one D-pad and one ABXY button pad.

FUCK!!!

THIS WAS MY SAME EXACT IDEA.

EDIT: Actually, nevermind. I had deeper plans for it then that.
I might as well submit it tonight anyway.

EDIT 2: Im still not happy enough with it... ill submit tomorrow.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Arras, a pocket mirror with buttons? Girls will like this.
Well, it's not a mirror unless you add a camera attachment to it, but yeah, I suppose there'll be a pink version :P

@[member='Zantigo']
Seriously? :blink: And here I thought I had made something no one else would come up with... Mine needs a few alterations as well, but I don't have any Photoshop or drawing skills and just used Paint to make it, so yeah. I didn't actually submit it yet, wanted to add a few things. Like, the current model has no shoulder or volume buttons. It doesn't look very ergonomic either. (the only way I can change that is with design skills I don't have though) Oh, and just wondering, but was your model round as well?

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it's not a mirror unless you add a camera attachment to it, but yeah, I suppose there'll be a pink version :P

@[member='Zantigo']
Seriously? :blink: And here I thought I had made something no one else would come up with... Mine needs a few alterations as well, but I don't have any Photoshop or drawing skills and just used Paint to make it, so yeah. I didn't actually submit it yet, wanted to add a few things. Like, the current model has no shoulder or volume buttons. It doesn't look very ergonomic either. (the only way I can change that is with design skills I don't have though) Oh, and just wondering, but was your model round as well?

Nah, it was more GBA shaped, and I drew it out. If I had the proper lighting to take pics (trust me, if I scan it will look like shit.) in my house I would have submitted it today.

Plus, ypurs isnt much like mine. Its just the overall idea thats the same. :P

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

@[member='Zantigo']

Nah, it was more GBA shaped, and I drew it out. If I had the proper lighting to take pics (trust me, if I scan it will look like shit.) in my house I would have submitted it today.

Plus, ypurs isnt much like mine. Its just the overall idea thats the same. :P
With the "overall idea" you mean modifiable controls or completely modular like mine?

Kiaku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, here's one I designed during my break in college, since the program they provided won't work unless the laptop is connected to their campus servers. The program's called SolidWorks. The gaming design is a 3D model, and I'm still working on it (need to add volume, power, L/R buttons) and show dimensions afterwards. I'll work on it more tomorrow since I have more time to spare then. In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions in the colors?
Prototype2(BLUE).JPG

Prototype2(RED5).JPG

Mars_x

♥♪!?
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well, here's one I designed during my break in college, since the program they provided won't work unless the laptop is connected to their campus servers. The program's called SolidWorks. The gaming design is a 3D model, and I'm still working on it (need to add volume, power, L/R buttons) and show dimensions afterwards. I'll work on it more tomorrow since I have more time to spare then. In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions in the colors?
Prototype2(BLUE).JPG

Prototype2(RED5).JPG

Looks awesome, I actually like the colors as they are.
But what kind of games does it play? What is so innovative about it
that would make me buy it instead of a Vita or 3DS?

As a visual concept it looks nice and sleek without a doubt. (y)
Maybe a bit too similar to the Dingoo tho :C

It's called the Flower:
[tag="image"]

Looks unique! I would like to hold it and see how it feels.
Something like this, with unique 'circle' games could work very well with children (Methinks).
I dont know if it really needs swappable controllers tho!

Here's my entry:

To be honest, I have absolutely no idea if this will work well, because I have no way of making a working prototype. And yet, this might be the least crazy of the ideas I have been thinking of for this contest. :P To get a rough feel of how this console would feel like, you could try turning your PS Vita upside down (it's actually what I did).

I didn't bother specifying things like specific size/CPU/RAM/battery specs etc, because I feel like those specs would be even more "pulling numbers out of thin air". Basically I would want it to have the most powerful CPU and battery as is reasonable without being too expensive. Honestly even the screen resolution that I stated is probably overkill and overexpensive.

As I said, I added 3D because I like 3D. (I have a 3D monitor for my new gaming PC at home now, it's awesome! And it works with my brother's PS3 too! :D) But the main idea of this design (having buttons on the side and bottom) is independent on the 3D functionality, so the design would not change much even if you take away the 3D.

A console like this could work awesomely with Online Games.
MMORPGs and stuff. The large screen can be used to place touch buttons
for magic attacks, potions, etc. The control placement is very different
but I think one can easily get used to. It has nice specs and 3D too!
And its portable. Im sure online game developers would like to toy with those ideas.

Sweet. I like its design, to me it gives a retro-ish feel, so nostalgic.
It seems everyone wants swappable controllers these days...
And if the screen is touch sensitive, I dont really see the need for
the Swipers. Also I dont know about the save/load button...
What would I, as a consumer, be able to play with your console when it releases!?

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Prototype2(BLUE).JPG

Prototype2(RED5).JPG
It's too shiny, but the colors look fine to me. Reflection in your eye is not good.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

It's called the Flower:
[tag="image"]

Looks unique! I would like to hold it and see how it feels.
Something like this, with unique 'circle' games could work very well with children (Methinks).
I dont know if it really needs swappable controllers tho!
It's not just the control(ler)s that are interchangeable. It has 12 ports that you can add special devices to. Think of stuff like a camera, a charger (I've heard handhelds need one), UV sensor or even something like a second screen or an external graphics chip if you want. You can even hook up two or three of them if you get a small connector (not that I know what anyone would use that for, but it's possible!)
Edit: oops double post >_>

Gamefreakjf11

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sweet. I like its design, to me it gives a retro-ish feel, so nostalgic.
It seems everyone wants swappable controllers these days...
And if the screen is touch sensitive, I dont really see the need for
the Swipers. Also I dont know about the save/load button...
What would I, as a consumer, be able to play with your console when it releases!?

I personally don't think it's practical to slide your finger on the screen while playing it, the screen should be primarily for visuals with touch sensitivity for menus and other things, however that would all depend on how a developer could use it. Sliding your hand on the screen could obscure the action on-screen and make games less enjoyable, the motion dots are out of the way but are still in reachable distance. Hardware wise, I don't feel the need to list out a list of made up specifications (anyone can throw any impractical specs they wanted to) because they could either be not practical if they were too impressive or outdated looking at an imaginative release date. In term of power you could assume around the power of a Playstation Vita. However, we should take into consideration the design and features of the handhelds because that is what matters most I think. I figured the swapable pads were practical and could be done with current technology. Having these would allow you to use a D-pad + ABXY for games that you wanted to (for example if you were playing super mario world on an emulator on it), or a sliderpad (or 2) and ABXY if you were playing a more modern styled game (most likely 3D). 2 Screens on a handheld is nice, but I feel like the one on the DS is underused (a lot of games just use it for simple things that could be simplified with buttons) and could be thrown out. The extra case space would allow for better hardware (as the PSP has shown). Thanks for the comment by the way :yay: .

Mars_x

♥♪!?
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I personally don't think it's practical to slide your finger on the screen while playing it, the screen should be primarily for visuals with touch sensitivity for menus and other things, however that would all depend on how a developer could use it. Sliding your hand on the screen could obscure the action on-screen and make games less enjoyable, the motion dots are out of the way but are still in reachable distance.

I understand what you mean, but dont think too hard man... the WiiU is basically a tablet with a controller, even with its size it should not bet a problem to swipe your fingers on to the screen.
We are talking Nintendo Level Thoughtful Hardware Design, which, after the Virtual Boy, should have pretty high standards.

Hardware wise, I don't feel the need to list out a list of made up specifications (anyone can throw any impractical specs they wanted to) because they could either be not practical if they were too impressive or outdated looking at an imaginative release date. In term of power you could assume around the power of a Playstation Vita. However, we should take into consideration the design and features of the handhelds because that is what matters most I think. I figured the swapable pads were practical and could be done with current technology. Having these would allow you to use a D-pad + ABXY for games that you wanted to (for example if you were playing super mario world on an emulator on it), or a sliderpad (or 2) and ABXY if you were playing a more modern styled game (most likely 3D). 2 Screens on a handheld is nice, but I feel like the one on the DS is underused (a lot of games just use it for simple things that could be simplified with buttons) and could be thrown out. The extra case space would allow for better hardware (as the PSP has shown). Thanks for the comment by the way :yay: .

Well, specs are used mostly to get an idea of which kind of games the system will be able to play, but if you say 'Vita level', then I guess there's not need for that.
About the swappable controllers... I know! My entry is based entirely on the idea. The best part is letting the user play in virtually any way they want, there's no price in that.
I have nothing against two screens, it just seems to be quickly becoming a standard nowadays, with the DS/3DS, Vita - PS3, now the WiiU and Smartglass.

Kiaku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Updated my device a bit (still need to think about the specs):

Front
Prototype3(RED).JPG
Side
Prototype3(RED3).JPG
Back
Prototype3(RED2).JPG

The back is supposed to have a dark-grey sticker with information on it, but I don't really understand how to use this program fully yet. I also still need to add some other buttons/connections. The side uses textured rubber material, so the player has a firm hold on it. The front uses medium-gloss plastic (I plan to make it matte-finish so glare doesn't affect gameplay), while the back uses matte-steel. With the four rubber pads on the back, it can hold the device on a sloped table without sliding off. Uses 3.7V lithium-ion rechargeable 1800mAh replaceable battery.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Click on your profile pic in the top right corner, and you'll get the profile menu popup, with... +2