Competition Time 2: The Designing of a Handheld

Sanoblue

The Fuzzy Blue Woof!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tis not the vision im concerned with.... or the style.... its the connections..... yes they lock.... but something with a locking mechanism such as the one u illustrated... would still allow for flex....its almost like holding 2 cig boxes with a droid pinned inbetween... the weight and flexability of ur locking system would be problematic.... thinks of way to illustrate...

Untitled-1.png

Mars_x

♥♪!?
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
tis not the vision im concerned with.... or the style.... its the connections..... yes they lock.... but something with a locking mechanism such as the one u illustrated... would still allow for flex....its almost like holding 2 cig boxes with a droid pinned inbetween... the weight and flexability of ur locking system would be problematic.... thinks of way to illustrate...

As I said, I would have to consult it with an engineer.
But it's nothing that can't be easily fixed my friend :D

Sanoblue

The Fuzzy Blue Woof!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>.> Engineer here.... Check above in quick paint illustration.... only way i see overcoming that problem (thou love the idea) would be almost a cradle like port that not only inserts as uve illustrated but also cradles the device as well....

Mars_x

♥♪!?
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
>.> Engineer here.... Check above in quick paint illustration.... only way i see overcoming that problem (thou love the idea) would be almost a cradle like port that not only inserts as uve illustrated but also cradles the device as well....

Does the problem persist even if the locking system as a whole is made of sturdy material?
Even the device itself could have inside a 'frame' made of the same material.
But I dont know, im not sure I understand you very well, my english is poor...

Edit:

I know right now it looks like it just snaps like LEGO, but its not like that.
Best way I can illustrate how this could work is this:

stock-photo--d-illustration-of-opened-steel-bank-safe-with-money-and-documents-81305038.jpg

Like a bank safe, but with a design that it actually locks in place so you can't just slide it out.
You could either manually unlock it, or design it so it does so automatically via software or
something crazy like that... It's not impossible or hard to do, I guess.

Sanoblue

The Fuzzy Blue Woof!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
material isnt so much the problem as the style of lock. and the width of ur system..... even droid type controllers cradle the droid.... not just connect...take a look at Game Gripper n ull see what im saying hopefully....

examples:
http://www.bwone.com...er_review-2.jpg
http://nokiaexperts....ipperN90008.jpg
icpmain.jpg

The main idea is the weight of the device isnt straining the controller.... its to expand the device

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A simple fix would be just to add sort of a bracket system connecting the top, and bottom of the screen. Connecting the screen to the controls, giving it some strength so that it doesn't bend. Like this. Make it so they click, or snap on or something so that it supports the screen.

gallery_193826_461_65689.png

But I hope you both know that the designs aren't going to be perfect.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Those controller add-ons have to be like that because the smartphone has no dedicated and reinforced jacks/sockets/mounts for external add-ons, so add-ons have to wrap around the entire phone to get a good grip. But take cameras for example. That camera screw you use to mount it to a tripod is strong enough to lift the camera by the tripod and swing it around, and vice versa. And a handheld console wouldn't be nearly as heavy as a camera or a tripod, so the screw and the socket wouldn't have to be as large as the ones on cameras.

zuM9C.jpg

Sanoblue

The Fuzzy Blue Woof!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A simple fix would be just to add sort of a bracket system connecting the top, and bottom of the screen. Connecting the screen to the controls, giving it some strength so that it doesn't bend. Like this. Make it so they click, or snap on or something so that it supports the screen.

gallery_193826_461_65689.png

But I hope you both know that the designs aren't going to be perfect.
true true.... and totally agree with his idea i think its great! but like most gaming devices even with a dedicated port for expansion. stability is a factor....much less 90 % of gaming consoles/devices with optional addons usually fail.... nes, snes, sega gen with cd.... taking that premise and adopting it to a basicly droid device will need much more than 2 sets of nub locks and a headphone jack to make it usable.... much less id imagine that the controllers arnt nearly as heavy.... and as bridges prove a heavy bridge (device) still needs more than just an attachment to land (controlers) to remain suspended....
Those controller add-ons have to be like that because the smartphone has no dedicated and reinforced jacks/sockets/mounts for external add-ons, so add-ons have to wrap around the entire phone to get a good grip. But take cameras for example. That camera screw you use to mount it to a tripod is strong enough to lift the camera by the tripod and swing it around, and vice versa. And a handheld console wouldn't be nearly as heavy as a camera or a tripod, so the screw and the socket wouldn't have to be as large as the ones on cameras.

zuM9C.jpg
true but his mechanism is a 2 pinching nubs and a modified headphone jack.....not a screw... as well a screw would also arise problems... ie over tightening, metal screw comming loose from plastic housing....and so on...if this type of controller were to be usable... id imagin either a better locking system/ high powered magnet (might not be an option...) to help firm up the connection sides from that a flat controller would be very uncomfortable..... >.> nes controller

Sanoblue

The Fuzzy Blue Woof!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and does anyone else find it funny that nintendo/sony/microsoft basicly all produce the same controllers? xbox vs ps3... move the thumb stick.... and nintendo classic controler?

Mythrix

Trophies
XP
Country
Man, you guys are totally into this, hahaha! And here I was thinking that the point of this contest was more about the ideas themselves rather than how technically feasible the ideas might be. :P

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
and does anyone else find it funny that nintendo/sony/microsoft basicly all produce the same controllers?
It's a design that works, and it's what people want. You need several buttons, triggers and sticks, on a shape that's comfortable to hold. Sort of like the computer mouse. All computer mice are basically the same.

Sanoblue

The Fuzzy Blue Woof!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and does anyone else find it funny that nintendo/sony/microsoft basicly all produce the same controllers?
It's a design that works, and it's what people want. You need several buttons, triggers and sticks, on a shape that's comfortable to hold. Sort of like the computer mouse. All computer mice are basically the same.
true.... but as sue happy as gaming companies are.... y hasnt this been in the courts yet lol

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I said I was gonna enter the last contest. I never did.

I like this one. I'll have something in by the end of September. [member='Hadrian'], are entries drawn on paper acceptable?

You can design this on anything you like, be it an actual model, CGI, Deluxe Paint III on a Amiga or even glass sculpture if you so wish, all we ask is that you make the design clear and add specifications.

Reactions: 1 person

Mars_x

♥♪!?
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The concept of DOMINO does not allow a grip-style lock, or bracket system, it would loose all meaning
and in any way, I think a non-intrusive lock style is still possible within the DOMINO scheme.
Comfort is not the priority, but I would not say its not important, the NES controller was painful because
of it's sharp corners, DOMINO uses rounded corners, like an Iphone, it should not be a problem.

I would not like the need to attach more cumbersome things to it, its already hard ennough to ask
a consumer to attach the controllers, the DOMINO idea is simple and clean, sleek, effective, im
trying really hard not to loose that idea, even the hand grip I think should be made by a third party.

I still believe there must be a way, I just dont have the knowledge to precisely solve this, ololol.

Acetonide

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm.. I'm going to post an idea I scrapped.. I would of sent in my entry today but a little busy so I ended up not having time to finish all the smaller details... Maybe with the extra weekend (since I won't be able to get online all weekend) I should make it look all pretty. x]] But yeah.. I wanted to wait until the competition was almost over just in case I came up with more ideas, but since someone is already using an idea I had and wanted to implement I decided to just finish up and submit mine sooner, and then work on other things and hope I don't come up with a brilliant idea and then beat myself up over not putting it in and submitting my entry early.. Dx

Any how.. Here's the idea I ditched.. I assume it won't be considered an entry unless I fail to pm my submission before the deadline because of what was said before.. >.>;;

zLUOM.png
P.S. Yes, I did do this even though I didn't finish my actual plans for my entry, but that's because I can't open up my word document at the library apparently.. =/ (Only way I can get online atm...) Any who, so I ended up doing this in paint (my final submission will also be in paint as I don't have any other graphics programs since my laptop died...)

Any who, I posted this since I wanted to know what people thought of this.. Personally I found it amusing, but impractical..

Mars_x

♥♪!?
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

It would be cool if you include any sort of video output, so you can play it on your TV while its closed
(You would have to move the buttons that are inside to the exterior tho o: ).
I think the touchpads would feel weird where they are. Maybe putting them behind the screen itself?
Or making the screen touch sensitive for that matter.

I find it amusing too, I imagine it painted with bright colors, like blue and yellow (kind of like most
plug-n-play game consoles).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/5uh_m4VgTY4