Competition Time 2: The Designing of a Handheld

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Submit your work near to the end, it's the only way. If you submit one now and then in two weeks decide it's not good enough...tough. One entry per person, no changing or editing.

Just a question.
If you want me to submit my work or main idea this late, then how can you tell if someone is ripping off the idea of another user?
The fastest one who sends it wins? Or the most detailed/worked one? ... I mean, how do you decide for one?
(sorry my english is not great)

Edit:
One more question!
You say only one entry per user, can I, for example, submit my main idea, but work it out until the contest ends and then submit the final 'version' of it? It would be the same idea, just with time to work it better.
This is what happens:

You send one entry.
That entry is your only one, so the first you send is the one I accept.
I post these in the super secret staff forum, the staff vote for the top 5. We're going by IDEAS not just details or how well the art is done.
We can tell if something is ripped off because we are geek connoisseurs and also when we post the winner someone could then go "hey that person ripped off blah blah" and then we'll take the prize away from you. Also there are other ways to make sure someone isn't copying anothers idea.
From there I work out the winner.

This is the last time I'll explain things. I can't see how people can't grasp this already, I don't mean to cause offence but my mind boggles!

Just to be absolutely certain, my earlier post (not a PM) isn't an entry, right? When I PM you, then it's an entry. Got it. I'll get some cardboard and get to work on a mock-up.

Mars_x

♥♪!?
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hey, great entry! I was actually going to do something similar to that. Except mine would close as a cube. I wasn't sure how that would work exactly, so I dropped it.

Hey, the MorphBox looks pretty cool (I like the name), if you get the idea to work I think it would be cool.
But thanks, that was not my entry... it was just a preview.
This is the entry.
Everything is in the images:

Full Concept (Includes all the addons and main UI):
http://img.photobuck...mProject-01.jpg

Faux Fact-Sheet (might as well call everything faux...w/e):
http://img.photobuck...-Project-02.jpg

Logotype:
http://img.photobuck...mProject-03.jpg

4 Royalty free images were used, 2 photos and 2 textures.
Tech Specs are a punch, so its supossed to be a pricey, exclusive gaming system, but not because it has an apple for a logo...
you actually get what you pay for. I tried to get the measurement of all ports and things right, but its not super precise. I also
consulted with a friend who works as an electronic engineer, he said everything was posibble from a technical point of view and
controllers should not be a problem, he said there were some balancing issues with the way you hold the thing tho, but nothing
that could not be fixed.

Well, that's it, im satisfied with the result and I wont change anything (and If I wanted to, I will just do it for myself anyways).

Reactions: 4 people

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to be absolutely certain, my earlier post (not a PM) isn't an entry, right? When I PM you
If you post here, it's can be a entry.
If you PM me, that is the one I accept and I'll ignore the post here.

Sanoblue

The Fuzzy Blue Woof!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Pulse Slide
  • 4″ WVGA Capacitive Touch
  • 3.5″ WVGA Capacitive Touch
  • PulseWave5 processor at 2.6GHz.
  • 4GB of internal flash storage
  • 1880mAh battery
  • WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
  • Stereo headset jack
  • SD card slot for expandable memory
  • Micro USB 2.0 HS
  • Gyroscope, Compass, Accelerometer sensors

001.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia

Nice design, although I wasn't going to enter because I believe that these sort of competitions should only be open to members I was thinking about how I would design a handheld myself. And I actually had the exact same idea as you, it's actually kind of eerie how similar your renders are to what I was picturing in my head. I have been playing a lot of games on my phone as of late and although a lot of them work fine with just touch controls I was thinking that the ability to snap on different peripherals to the sides would have been awesome.

Reactions: 1 person

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Great entry, I love it. Great concept. Love the name, and how the domino motif runs through the whole design.

But I noticed the balance issue as well (with the portrait mode). Would this configuration solve it?

bUtiP.jpg

Over 9000 miliseconds in Paint.

Reactions: 1 person

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh god what the hell, all of the hand-drawn entries look like they were drawn by retarded 5 year-olds.
The only good one right now is sanoblue's, but mine will blow away all of your pathetic entries.
I can't draw worth a damn, but I'd like to think I'm at least on a retarded 11 year old's level. I did spent about an hour on my pitiful scribbles, so you can't call me lazy.

slenkar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yxv18.png

Looks familiar but the specs are what makes this handheld what it is:

800mhz Arm processor
256-512MB of RAM
openGL graphics card
SD storage
Wifi
Ethernet port
Able to run linux and android,

Mars_x

♥♪!?
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Great entry, I love it. Great concept. Love the name, and how the domino motif runs through the whole design.

But I noticed the balance issue as well (with the portrait mode). Would this configuration solve it?

bUtiP.jpg

Man... I wish I'd thought of that before making the entry.
It's just pure genius, it solves everything; the balance issues, the need to
make portrait-only controller sets, even the need for a hand grip. And
it's so simple! Hmm, I would have to move the SD Card slot to go inside
(with the battery, I know its annoying but there is not another way), change
the USB Port (not enough space, externally and internally anyways) for a
mini USB port and move some other things, but overall this solution works perfectly.
This was the kind of feedback I was looking for.

Here's a quick new mockup with the new changes:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/Mars_x/Portable-System-Project-Ver013.jpg
Of course, this does not count as an entry, I understand the rules.

Everyone else, thanks for your kind comments, good to know the idea is shared...
it means everyone would like to see it happen! :P Maybe someday.... maybe...

Sanoblue

The Fuzzy Blue Woof!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

bUtiP.jpg

my biggest problem with the design of domino... is this... who the hell is gonna carry around 20 some attachments to a iphone-esk system?.... donno about you... but i sure dont want my pockets crammed full of controller parts lol.... and from looking at ur system design id say controller disconnections would be common... thou i would love to see something similar for say a decent size tablet :D

Mars_x

♥♪!?
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
my biggest problem with the design of domino... is this... who the hell is gonna carry around 20 some attachments to a iphone-esk system?.... donno about you... but i sure dont want my pockets crammed full of controller parts lol.... and from looking at ur system design id say controller disconnections would be common... thou i would love to see something similar for say a decent size tablet :D

Nobody actually. No one is asking the consumer to carry all the controllers, tho they could if they wanted to,
its not like they are a lot, at least with the updated version... the one you quoted., the total controller count is only six.

You can always carry only the pro controllers for all-purpose gaming (the ones with the most buttons), but yeah... I have
seen gamers carry literally mini-birefcases with DS and a ton of stuff inside, or bags with PSP and stuff. Ultimately
the user is the one who has the options.

One DOMINO system with two controllers attached is smaller than a Vita, the design is not that big and everything
is made of lightweight materiales, so it should not be a problem.

Edit:

If you see closely at the Concept sheet, you can see little squares at the sides that pop out of the controller, those
actually lock with the system so the controller would not disconnect unless you do it yourself.

Sanoblue

The Fuzzy Blue Woof!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SNIP
Edit:

If you see closely at the Concept sheet, you can see little squares at the sides that pop out of the controller, those
actually lock with the system so the controller would not disconnect unless you do it yourself.

I whole heartily agree with every thing stated... thou most of your case carrying gamers are travelers and children.... my only concern with the locking system was the literal depth of your system.... just seems flimzy..... especially with something thats supposed to be used as thumb sticks and buttons? much less with something iphone esk like that wouldnt a duel sided cradle insert be more applicable?

i mean a screen is heavy.... controllers are usually light.... so holding something heavy by a light weight controller???? id think stability of the controller would be more important than flexibility.... thou i have seen xbox style controllers with hubs you could move the buttons around....

Mars_x

♥♪!?
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I whole heartily agree with every thing stated... thou most of your case carrying gamers are travelers and children.... my only concern with the locking system was the literal depth of your system.... just seems flimzy..... especially with something thats supposed to be used as thumb sticks and buttons? much less with something iphone esk like that wouldnt a duel sided cradle insert be more applicable?

i mean a screen is heavy.... controllers are usually light.... so holding something heavy by a light weight controller???? id think stability of the controller would be more important than flexibility.... thou i have seen xbox style controllers with hubs you could move the buttons around....

You would be surprised by the kind of gamers who carry their stuff around, but thats not the point. DOMINO gives the user options.
Think of the WiiU, the main, touch screen controller is optional (you can use the 'Pro Controller', but that's not the full experience,
for the full experience you must use the innovative controller. DOMINO would not be better than an iPhone 5 without its 'innovative'
control swapping features, but you do have the option. If holding is an issue (I dont think so, can you hold a PSP 3000?) there are
optional hand grip thingies you can attach and be happy.

About mass producing the things, well yeah, everything is mass produced. The good thing about the DOMINO is its modular design.
You can buy a complete package with everything you need, or buy each thing separately, which would cost you a bit more if you
buy everything this way, but its business and its the way it works.

Point is, you can carry this:

PSVITA.jpg

But not this?:

DOMINO.jpg

Edit: DOMINO is actually a bit smaller than this comparison (I think). Sorry about that.

Dont forget it's Android based, I dont have exact numbers, but roughly 45, 50% of games are played in
portrait mode, with DOMINO you can change modes on the fly, just de-attach and re-attach, you are good to play. :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Peen apple.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    "pine unf apple" doesn't count! Lol
    Employee code of conduct videos are awesome!!! Did you know eating the other employees is bad? I didn't know... Lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Anymore males there? :blush:
    All of us lol
    I got free every channel so that's awesome lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Give me ALL the gay pron channels, since you won't be watching them :blush::D
    +1
    Lol they exist?
    +1
    Hmmm so Mario Does Luigi's plumbing is a bad movie? Lol
    These videos are soooo dry
    Please click all suspicious links sent your email
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What to do today? Cut grass for 3-4 hours, or just get drunk and play video games... Hmm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I need a remote controlled mower, so I can sit on the couch and do both.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sounds good to me, video games and booze it is then.
    +1
  • denpafan @ denpafan:
    Good choice
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Now what to play, Starfield or Fallout4. And what to drink, beer or Whiskey and Coke. Such tough decisions.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Looks like its whiskey & coke, only 4 beers left. And think ill start with Falllout. :grog:
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    THIS IMAGE IS SO SCARY WTF. THAT SURE AS HELL IS NOT A CAT THATS LIKE A FUCKING DEMON

Untitled2.png
    Bonus points for running things over with the lawn mower?
    +1
    Monster truck Lawn Mower extreme
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    she was an apple appstore girl
    he was an uptodown boy
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: she was an apple appstore girl he was an uptodown boy