Homebrew Commercial ROM Loading with MoonShell 2 & YSMenu Guide

Ballistic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've read on this forum that the Sakura firmware was not suppose to run commercial files as well, but it does now anyway. Besides, I believe nothing is unhackable :\

unneon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm sorry, I couldn't reply that before

kermitfrog said:
unneon said:
Did you use nds.ysothers.nds version?
try to dldi it manually
unsure.gif
Yes it is the 'nds.ysothers.nds' that I used (I understand you can't use the r4 version on a DSTT) - I can't be bothered to DLDI patch it since the other one works fine without having to do that (also I don't like the green 'splash screen'
laugh.gif
)

green 'splash screen'?
I think it was grey
unsure.gif

You can choice what you want to use by your necessities. I don't know if linoul's loader has the back to firmware function, but it isn't a problem, you can just press B while loading a game...

QUOTE(Blackiris @ May 7 2009, 02:22 PM)
@unneon
Unfortunately, I will have to add kermitfrog's discovery to the guide. But since you made those loaders, I'm sure you'll be able to do something about it.
smile.gif
Until then though, the warning has to be sent.
No problem
I can't do nothing about that... I don't have an DSTT to fix that
unsure.gif

Maybe I can change my system to the same that linoul used (transform reset.mse in a homebrew loader), but I prefer still using chishm's nds loader
or maybe I can make an pre-dldi patched DSTT version, but I don't know if it works. I don't have an DSTT to test.

Sorry for my english

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
unneon said:
I'm sorry, I couldn't reply that before

kermitfrog said:
unneon said:
Did you use nds.ysothers.nds version?
try to dldi it manually
unsure.gif
Yes it is the 'nds.ysothers.nds' that I used (I understand you can't use the r4 version on a DSTT) - I can't be bothered to DLDI patch it since the other one works fine without having to do that (also I don't like the green 'splash screen'
laugh.gif
)
green 'splash screen'?
I think it was grey
unsure.gif
Yes you're right it is a grey screen - but with green text & that's what I meant - Sorry

As an update - I've tried DLDi patching it & it still doesn't work, as well as the 'resetmse' ysother.nds file (& yes I did rename it to 'TTIO.nds' for my flashcard) - it just 'locks-up'
Instead I've renamed 'moonshell2.nds' as 'TTIO.nds' & use that instead

Quick Smash

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a R4SDHC (yea the clone) and I can't even get passed step 6, LOL
After I run r4 config, answered the questions as the clone guide says, no R4_custom_English.zip is appearing...
unsure.gif

Did I miss something?

duonguyen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Guys, I really want to get this running on my DSTT + 8gb SDHC +DS PHAT
Following the instruction, I found that moonshl2.nds ran with out me needing to patch.
But when I tried to rename it to "TTMENU.DAT" i would get an error

top screen : pc=0x02000710 sp=0x02803ef0 &IPC=0x027ff000, IPCSize=28byte.
DLDI: active_interface=0x02004ae0, ID= DLDI, Name=Default (No interface). actve_interface->ui_features=0x00. startup failed.

bottom screen : loading '/moonshl2/reload.dat"
Please start "moonshl2_DirectBoot.nds" when stopped on this screen

I was not able to soft reset or do anything after that, the directboot.nds worked for me too.

if i changed the moonshl2_directboot.nds to "TTMENU.DAT", i would get another error

top screen: lots of data FAT2_initfiles() failed. broken disk or not enough free area.

bottom screen: an error was detected while trying to acess the disc of a file. Please confirm the followings:
was rom file of a correct DLDI patch started? Please re-format the media and try again.

can anyone help me out? is there another moonshl2.nds i should be using from the autopatch folders? i didn't find any for dstt in there and the default one worked anyways.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
duonguyen said:
Following the instruction, I found that moonshl2.nds ran with out me needing to patch.
But when I tried to rename it to "TTMENU.DAT" i would get an error................
................can anyone help me out? is there another moonshl2.nds i should be using from the autopatch folders? i didn't find any for dstt in there and the default one worked anyways.
I think you may of answered your own question you state that "moonshl2.nds ran with out me needing to patch" - have you tried patching it & trying ??

As for getting the patch - Try this one

I'll also tell you that I had to use the directboot version & it worked for me - but one thing I did need to do is put a 'Clean' (i.e. unpatched) version of Moonshell (& renamed it to TTIO.nds) into the resetmse folder for the 'Boot to firmware' option to work

Vampirex

Dhampir
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
nice vid.. acekard 2 much easier to use cheats (cheats still work when i choose game in moonshell2, no need to return to akaio or acekard firmware) =) i would make a video, but my cameraman skill sux

Blackiris

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've been very busy with lots of other things, plus school's gonna start again for me...*sigh*

Oh well, at least I still can come back here and update this.
wink.gif

@creazn54
I sure hope you're not diving head-first into the DS scene via this guide, I can say it's not very friendly xD As of now, no one has any confirmation that N5 specifically works with the methods currently posted. The reason why I put that it could work with clones is because of methods posted by other users who have helped contribute to the guide. In this case, please contact sprogurt or HoTsHoT89 for help since I cannot provide any, unfortunately...

@jester13
Well, I guess that's how it has to be...I know that some games need certain cheats just to make them work, but the only way to really activate cheats with your DSTT using this setup is to manually select them from YSMenu after any of the methods to get to YSMenu from MoonShell 2. Also, what loaders are you using? Because if Unneon's loaders work (which have been reported not to), I will have to update that part ^^

@kermitfrog
I just read how much you have been helping around in this thread, and that you very much deserve credit
smile.gif
Thanks for the help you've given everyone, and also the video, which I think I'll be adding to the first post!

@ILIKEFLOOD
Already confirmed, but it's always nice to have more confirmations! Thanks! =)
Thanks also for the link to the Panasonic SDformatter. I will be including that for people having troubles getting DiskCheck to work on MicroSD's with larger capacities.

@Vampirex
Got your PM. I'll be including that in the AKAIO guide. Also the video. And more of your tips about the SDformatter.
happy.gif

@justtrying
Apparent, but not specifically mentioned. You reminded me to do so!
cool.gif

@Ballistic
I see...actually, that thought was always in my mind, but I have never gotten to actually asking that since it might be a sort of problem for Moonlight and/or Yasu. But now that you and kermitfrog discussed it, that kinda makes me change my mind...a bit...until more people nudge me maybe, but I prefer staying on the safe side for this one xD No sticky requests for now.

@unneon
I'm sorry, how many times have you been apologizing about your English when absolutely no one has been complaining for the past 11 pages xD What I mean to say is, you don't have to!
smile.gif

Hmm, okay, you don't have a DSTT to test it...but you can always try out other things if you want to adjust your loaders for maximum compatibility with all flashcarts; people around here would probably test it for you. Me included if I get the time ^^;

@Quick Smash
Did you try the R4 Original guide except with some renaming of firmware and such? We actually have a lack of confirmation when it comes to R4 clones here...so please read my above reply to creazn54. Hope it helps.

@SoulAnger
Yep, and guess which sidstyling metal filipino dude started the guide. I will be quoting that awesome quote for a long time. xD

@jakob95
Your questions have been answered by two big contributers to this guide. Again, I thank them very much for helping out.
wink2.gif

O-KAY, time for major updates to the first post!

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
jester13 said:
The cheats don't work either if you auto boot to a game with YSmenu. It's a fault on YSmenu's part, not the alternate menu's.
It's not a fault - It's a 'feature'
rofl.gif

Actually I believe Yasu (that's the developer) never meant YSmenu to be used as an 'alternative method of launching via another program', instead it was meant to be a 'firmware replacment'

Moonshell (& other file selectors) is only using the AUTO_BOOT as a exploit/convenience to save them having to write their own 'launcher'

rn_1604

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kermitfrog said:
duonguyen said:
But when I tried to rename it to "TTMENU.DAT" i would get an error................
................can anyone help me out? is there another moonshl2.nds i should be using from the autopatch folders? i didn't find any for dstt in there and the default one worked anyways.
I think you may of answered your own question you state that "moonshl2.nds ran with out me needing to patch" - have you tried patching it & trying ??

As for getting the patch - Try this one

I'll also tell you that I had to use the directboot version & it worked for me - but one thing I did need to do is put a 'Clean' (i.e. unpatched) version of Moonshell (& renamed it to TTIO.nds) into the resetmse folder for the 'Boot to firmware' option to work

I'm getting the same error as you kermitfrog.

^ Sorry but how do i patch the moonshl2.nds? I want to boot straight to moonshl2.nds and launch games from there (using YSmenu integration and I'm able to do that after looking at the tutorials, all that's left is to boot straight to moonshell2).

PS: I'm using DSTTi and as i've seen from the DSTT website, it states:

Supports Moonshell and homebrew. DLDI auto-patching.

Does DLDI auto-patching means that the moonshl2.nds is already patched? i tried running it first then after that renamed it to TTMENU.DAT, but i still got the same error...

Edit: Anyway, if I run moonshl2.nds or moonshl2_DirectBoot.nds from TTmenu OS, it does launch properly without any errors, this means it's patched isnt it? But when i rename moonshl2.nds to TTMENU.DAT (to allow immediate launching to moonshell OS), the error appears... any solutions?

Islay

Trophies
XP
Country
hmm, is there any set up like this for Ezflash Vi ?
its firmware for the Vi is beta 1.90 and alpha 2.0 and they both are ok.

1.90 work quite well but is out of sink with movies as it based on moonshell 1, never had this problem with my old mars cart.
and
2.00 wont load any anything,

So i was wondering is there anyway to use this method with the Ezflash Vi or is there any other firm ware that could be good to use ?

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
I'm getting the same error as you kermitfrog. What Error
unsure.gif
- I'm not getting any errors unless you're talking about the 'bootscreens'
QUOTE said:
^ Sorry but how do i patch the moonshl2.nds?Pop along to This page for the patching software (I use the Win32 GUI) - don't forget to also download a suitable DLDI patch for the card you're using (There isn't one for the DSTT on the site - but use this one [TTIO] instead)
QUOTE said:
I want to boot straight to moonshl2.nds and launch games from there
After patching the Moonshell_direct version, rename it to TTMENU.DAT
Does DLDI auto-patching means that the moonshl2.nds is already patched? i tried running it first then after that renamed it to TTMENU.DAT, but i still got the same error...
Nope. What it means is that it will load in Moonshell - patch it while in memory & run it. The original moonshell.nds is not changed in any way - meaning every time you run moonshell it is patched

rn_1604

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^^
thanks alot it works! Another qn though haha:

why issit when i hold start in moonshell, an error apears saying "can not find thrash folder. Please refer to /Manuals/DustBox.txt"
am i suppose to be able to delete stuff within moonshell?

And why issit when i click exit to firmware, it just hangs on the white screen. i use the ttio.nds (in resetmse folder) provided in the moonshell 2. Am i suppose to patch that too?

Edit: Nvm i've patched the provided ttio.nds and it works, but then again, it reset but brought me back to moonshell (must be because i've set it to auto boot to moonshell). Is there any other solution to reset back to TTmenu OS? If not i'll just put the TTmenu.nds and launch from moonshell.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Welp