Homebrew Commercial ROM Loading with MoonShell 2 & YSMenu Guide

creazn54

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Can someone help me?

i tried all tutorials but it doesnt work on my N5 card...im getting mad

if there is a fellow N5 user, can u create me the files?

and where do i put my games, music into? the ext? or create new folders?

the problem im having atm is it get stuck at the beginning, after the official firmware is done..it get stuck at loading...and it doesnt do anything T_T

help is appreciated!

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
jester13 said:
Anyone know why the cheats dont work when you activate it in YSMnu then booting the game with Moonshell?

Doesnt the loader just boot up YSMenu then it autoboots the game?
You don't say if you've set YSmenu to have all cheats enabled as default - or if you are only activating the cheat for a single game, but try this & see if cheats work using this method (I think this is dependant on which nds.YSMenu.nds loader you are using though - I'm @ work @ the moment so unable to check )

>Boot-up Moonshell as your 'firmware'
>Select game you want to play
>Press [A] to start the game then IMMEDIATELY press (& hold it) to bypass YSMenu 'autostart'
>Select the game AGAIN & select the cheat(s) you want to use
>Press [A] to start game via YSmenu
>See if the cheat is working

If the game cheats works using this method - then we must assume that either your YSMenu has all cheats option disabled by default or that the cheats are reset when moonshell starts YSmenu

P.S Can you tell use what Flashcard you are using - it could be cheats are Flashcard dependant

Feels Good Man

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
kermitfrog said:
jester13 said:
Anyone know why the cheats dont work when you activate it in YSMnu then booting the game with Moonshell?

Doesnt the loader just boot up YSMenu then it autoboots the game?
You don't say if you've set YSmenu to have all cheats enabled as default - or if you are only activating the cheat for a single game, but try this & see if cheats work using this method (I think this is dependant on which nds.YSMenu.nds loader you are using though - I'm @ work @ the moment so unable to check )

>Boot-up Moonshell as your 'firmware'
>Select game you want to play
>Press [A] to start the game then IMMEDIATELY press (& hold it) to bypass YSMenu 'autostart'
>Select the game AGAIN & select the cheat(s) you want to use
>Press [A] to start game via YSmenu
>See if the cheat is working

If the game cheats works using this method - then we must assume that either your YSMenu has all cheats option disabled by default or that the cheats are reset when moonshell starts YSmenu

P.S Can you tell use what Flashcard you are using - it could be cheats are Flashcard dependant

The cheats work when you boot it in YSmenu but doesnt work when you boot it in Moonshell. So as of now im going to use YSmenu as my default menu rather than Moonshell because some games need a cheat fix for them to work.

Im using a legit DSTT w/o the fake killer disabled, 8gig MicroSD, M3lite as my slot-2 expansion pack.

I'm not using the latest YSmenu but im pretty sure that isnt the reason why the cheats arent working

EDIT - Just got the latest YSmenu and cheat don't work still

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
The cheats work when you boot it in YSmenu but doesnt work when you boot it in Moonshell.
I'm going out on a limb here & I guess what happens is that when YSmenu starts up & initialises it's variables, it automatically disables the 'cheats' flag, you then change the flag from within YSMenu when you enable cheats, so that when you start up a game YSMenu looks at the flag & if changed - uses cheats

However when using Moonshell - what is happening is YSmenu starts up, initialise variables which automatically reset the 'Cheats' flag, then 'AutoBoots' the ROM - giving you no opertunity of changing the Cheat flag & therefore cheats don't work

I'm totally guessing @ this since I cannot find a 'Default_Cheats' variable in YSMenu.ini similar to the 'Default_DMA' or 'Default_Reset' flag.
If such a thing did exist then I guess any program (Moonshell/DSision/Menudo etc) would be able to have a 'cheats' option that'll works with YSmenu, so until Yasu actually adds such a thing to YSmenu - I guess you're stuffed

ILIKEFOOD

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
acekard 2 8gb moonshell 2.00 stable Unneon's Alternate YSloader and linoul's YSloader + soft rest works (L+R+A+B+X+Y), is that supposed to happen with ysmenu autoboot???
unsure.gif
cuz it works for some reason. CONFIRMED

Vampirex

Dhampir
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hey guys, sharing a new tip.

Cheats work in Moonshell 2 with AKAIO.

*CHEAT: Go into AKAIO's Firmware. And select the cheats you would like to activate for the specific game & Press Start to save. Once Saved, everytime you load that game, either in Moonshell 2 or AKAIO, the cheats selected and saved will load everytime until you go back to AKAIO and change cheats.

Vampirex

Dhampir
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bug or Error Found: If your using a SDHC card 8GB & Above ( Don't have 4GB to test ), Having Always run DiskCheck on boot. Moonshell2 won't boot properly.
*Note* I had installed moonshell 2 and akaio originally on a 2GB SD card. So i disabled DiskCheck and copied the files over to my 8GB micro SD.
Tried using Panasonic SD Formatter on my 8GB SDHC, nows works fine w/ DiskCheck on boot.

ILIKEFOOD

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My 8gb SDHC with Diskcheck works without any errors. Transcend FAT32 formatted with Panasonic SD Formatter (i highly recommend for best speed)here
Also if some one wants to look into this, is there a way to use akaio doing the same thing as the ysmenu method. ive gotten cheats, rumble and soft reset to work but it will only play the last rom in akaio. Is there a way to make akaio read the last rom played in moonshell ex:read launch.dat?

Keeley

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i just don't like the fact that every time u boot it up and go to the menu it just goes straight to a screen with all the games/homebrew u last played, the screen looks gay xD

Vampirex

Dhampir
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Keeley said:
i just don't like the fact that every time u boot it up and go to the menu it just goes straight to a screen with all the games/homebrew u last played, the screen looks gay xD

Go into Configuring GUI & Audio Settings and tick off Start MoonShell from Recent Files.

Ballistic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blackiris has been very generous not to mention this but I think this thread should be stickied. It may not be to Moonlight's liking but a complaint to GBAtemp will surely suffice. Besides, all those aesthetic-whores can now stop crying about ROM incompatibility because they don't want to switch to YSMenu.

Just my two cents :]

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Ballistic said:
........but I think this thread should be stickied. It may not be to Moonlight's liking but a complaint to GBAtemp will surely suffice.
I agree that it should be stickied - but why would Moonlight not like it ?? - surely letting people know about Moonshell & how it can now (with a bit of work) run *.nds files (not just Commercial) is a good thing

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Ballistic said:
He didn't add NDS file support in the first place for a reason.
edit: commercial*
Ah - OK Ithink I understand he may not of wanted to run the risk of being sued (or whatever) for producing a program for running possible pirated software - but if that was the case, surely he would'nt of added the 'ExtApps' facility - he would've made it an all-in-one program preventing any 3rd party exploit

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: America ya~