CMA regulator says that Call of Duty would not be able to run on Nintendo Switch

saddsad.png

In an amusing twist in the ongoing effort by Microsoft to acquire Activision, the UK's Competition and Markets Authority has determined that the contract that Microsoft signed last month to bring Call of Duty to Nintendo platforms would not be able to be upheld as-is. They denote that publishers and developers have had harder times porting games to the Switch versus PlayStation and Xbox, and that games ported to Switch usually had rather poor performance or visuals. Additionally, they also denote that while the Switch "has not impacted Nintendo's ability to compete on the downstream console market" as it features a wider variety of games than PlayStation or Xbox, they believe that the Switch "does not currently offer the same graphically intensive games that PlayStation or Xbox compete on" and that it "does not offer a similar user experience" to the competition in regards to storage space, visuals and performance.
Ideally, Microsoft is signing this contract for the purpose of bringing it to a future Nintendo console, but they would not be able to actually abide by the contract until then.

1677692659939.png

Sources: My Nintendo News, Exputer, Forbes

Last edited by Chary,

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A more bare bones version of cod would be fine. Just sucks that the online is no longer free, cod wii was good times

Graxer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I never thought for a minute that they meant the current gen "Switch" in the contract. If taken the other way the contract states they will be releasing on the current gen switch for 10 years, long after Nintendo has abandoned the system. We can't predict how it would perform on the next Nintendo system.

Yes, it almost 100% won't be in line with the Xbox Series or PS5, but if they could get it in line with the PS4/PS4 Pro that should be able to run it reasonably well. Steam Deck manages Xbox Series S like performance (albeit at 800p), im sure Nintendo could manage PS4 performance within budget on the next Switch.

Blakejansen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My point is that Xbox can't be a monopoly being the last place, and it's not even close to the others. That's why in my opinion that aquisition is just fine.

Even their crown diamond that is the subscription service is lagging behind the others in subscription numbers. Xbox is inoffensive.
I wanted info on why the xbox is the go to console when you can't find what you are looking for.

Kameryn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The CMA regulator do know the obvious on the tech side, but what about the comercial side?

I mean, how on earth Microsoft can form a monopoly there? People just buy their shit when they don't find what they're looking for.

You want to regulate a monopoly, look to windows, not to the disaster that Xbox became.

Curious I've never been in the Xbox ecosystem so I'm unfamiliar. Would you be able to elaborate about "the disaster that Xbox became."?

squeakycleanswine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you CMA for telling us something any of us could infer based on the readily available information that the switch is a scrapped android tablet that can in no way run a modern cod game.

Kitocco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They probably have, and also realize that their games are so unoptimized in comparison that there's no way they'd want to spend the extra money to develop for it.
For every Panic Button or even Saber Interactive (the new ARK version on Switch is much, MUCH better I’ve heard), there’s like, 2-3 publishers that just throw up a Cloud ”””Edition””” just to cash in on giving people without other systems a lesser, more volatile prod… no, “service”.

Even if the original games were literally based on PS3 remasters. (Yes I’m still disappointed by KH1.5 + 2.5.)

Spectremint

OP
Trophies
Website
spectremint.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
For every Panic Button or even Saber Interactive (the new ARK version on Switch is much, MUCH better I’ve heard), there’s like, 2-3 publishers that just throw up a Cloud ”””Edition””” just to cash in on giving people without other systems a lesser, more volatile prod… no, “service”.

Even if the original games were literally based on PS3 remasters. (Yes I’m still disappointed by KH1.5 + 2.5.)
My silly theory is that they lost the source code to the original and then lost it AGAIN to the HD remaster lol

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really couldn't care less. I'm one of those people who buys Nintendo hardware just for Nintendo games. I've always been a little baffled by the bickering every generation since N64 or so, over Nintendo's systems lacking "3rd Party Support." If I wanted to play those games I'd have bought a different console. And a few times I have. That's just how it is.

Spectremint

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
I really couldn't care less. I'm one of those people who buys Nintendo hardware just for Nintendo games. I've always been a little baffled by the bickering every generation since N64 or so, over Nintendo's systems lacking "3rd Party Support." If I wanted to play those games I'd have bought a different console. And a few times I have. That's just how it is.
That's how I usually do it. Switch only for the exclusives, PS4 and PC for everything that isn't.

and Vita too but I'm getting ahead of myself

Acetonide

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All these serious remarks and good jokes..
But no one made a joke yet about how they'll just port all the old COD games to Nintendo and still technically bring Call of Duty to Nintendo. Quite possibly for decades to come. Lol

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rumor leak Switch 2 probably be out least 3rd quarter or 4th quarter this year Id like not to believe the rumor that is probably why.

Spectremint

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Call of Duty for Android runs perfect on Nintendo Switch with Android. A game with this level of gameplay is 100% realizable.

I don´t understand the CMA augument for this statement
The contract is to bring the mainline CoD games to "Nintendo consoles", as in games like MW2 2022, not the mobile games
Further attested by the fact that Phil Spencer said that they would release the same day and date as the PlayStation and Xbox entries
As I pointed out, this contract is probably intended for whatever Nintendo's next console will be, but if the CMA gets their way, they won't actually be able to abide by the contract until then

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
Ofc it won't, they need a reason to switch (get it?!) to a new console. :)
(it can if its optimized and developed for the switch)
Post automatically merged:

it could barely run Scarlet and Violet so call me surprised
Yet, it can run prime mario odissey etc... I mean it can run ANY game, as long as they are dfevoeloped and optimized for the switch. Not being able to run is just a bullcrap imo. Ofc it wont be the same as other versions but thats the point.
Post automatically merged:

Well you see, you admit it yourself. Its not all in game, but in coding and optimizations.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?