CMA regulator says that Call of Duty would not be able to run on Nintendo Switch

saddsad.png

In an amusing twist in the ongoing effort by Microsoft to acquire Activision, the UK's Competition and Markets Authority has determined that the contract that Microsoft signed last month to bring Call of Duty to Nintendo platforms would not be able to be upheld as-is. They denote that publishers and developers have had harder times porting games to the Switch versus PlayStation and Xbox, and that games ported to Switch usually had rather poor performance or visuals. Additionally, they also denote that while the Switch "has not impacted Nintendo's ability to compete on the downstream console market" as it features a wider variety of games than PlayStation or Xbox, they believe that the Switch "does not currently offer the same graphically intensive games that PlayStation or Xbox compete on" and that it "does not offer a similar user experience" to the competition in regards to storage space, visuals and performance.
Ideally, Microsoft is signing this contract for the purpose of bringing it to a future Nintendo console, but they would not be able to actually abide by the contract until then.

1677692659939.png

Sources: My Nintendo News, Exputer, Forbes

Last edited by Chary,

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
The CMA regulator do know the obvious on the tech side, but what about the comercial side?

I mean, how on earth Microsoft can form a monopoly there? People just buy their shit when they don't find what they're looking for.

You want to regulate a monopoly, look to windows, not to the disaster that Xbox became.

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah yes, the continued thought that porting it would be too "difficult", and not that they just don't want to spend the time and resources to make the experience enjoyable on a lower spec console. Cutting certain content like extra modes or whatever has always been the way developers have made it work on consoles past, it's just lazyness.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There's no way they can port a main line CoD with the full multiplayer parts intact to the switch, no matter how much they optimize it. Even a "simple" game like Doom eternal with a focus on single player took an additional six months to port without completely butchering it.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if they just offered them as a cloud gaming titles. When you're too lazy to port it just don't port it at all and let a server somewhere else play the game instead!

Spectremint

OP
Trophies
Website
spectremint.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
there were how many CoD games on the DS?
There were a few, but to my knowledge they were not 1:1 ports and did their own thing due to the extreme hardware limitations
Post automatically merged:

And who said they want to bring mainline games or they will release CoD on Switch? They can bring Call of Duty Mobile, older titles as remasters, made separate release or wait for new console to upheld agreement.
If I recall, the contract was specifically for the mainline games

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean it makes plenty of sense why the current generation of COD games wouldn't run on the Switch through porting it. Not to mention the Switch is on it's last leg I think, based on what were seeing. Hell, I half expect that this deal that Microsoft and Nintendo are trying to make refers to Nintendo's Next-Gen console they've been working on. There's always the CLOUD, I mean there's been plenty of games that have gone that way:

• A Plague Tale: Innocence - Cloud Version
  • The Forgotten City - Cloud Version
  • Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: Cloud Version
  • Kingdom Hearts - HD 1.5 + 2.5 ReMix - Cloud Version
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue - Cloud Version
  • Kingdom Hearts III - Cloud Version
  • Edge of Eternity - Cloud Version
  • Thymesia - Cloud Version
  • Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
  • A Plague Tale: Requiem - Cloud Version
  • Resident Evil Village Cloud
  • Resident Evil 7: Biohazard Cloud
  • Resident Evil 2 - Cloud Version
  • Resident Evil 3 - Cloud Version
  • Dying Light 2: Stay Human - Cloud Version (Release date: TBA)

So if they did that, then I'm sure it could work, I believe. Allot of these games on this list a pretty graphics heavy, and look and run pretty well on the Switch being there all on the Cloud.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I mean it makes plenty of sense why the current generation of COD games wouldn't run on the Switch. Not to mention the Switch is on it's last leg I think, based on what were seeing. Hell, I half expect that this deal that Microsoft and Nintendo are trying to make refers to Nintendo's Next-Gen console they've been working on. There's always the CLOUD, I mean there's been plenty of games that have gone that way:

• A Plague Tale: Innocence - Cloud Version
  • The Forgotten City - Cloud Version
  • Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: Cloud Version
  • Kingdom Hearts - HD 1.5 + 2.5 ReMix - Cloud Version
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue - Cloud Version
  • Kingdom Hearts III - Cloud Version
  • Edge of Eternity - Cloud Version
  • Thymesia - Cloud Version
  • Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
  • A Plague Tale: Requiem - Cloud Version
  • Resident Evil Village Cloud
  • Resident Evil 7: Biohazard Cloud
  • Resident Evil 2 - Cloud Version
  • Resident Evil 3 - Cloud Version
  • Dying Light 2: Stay Human - Cloud Version (Release date: TBA)

So if they did that, then I'm sure it could work, I believe. Allot of these games on this list a pretty graphics heavy, and look and run pretty well on the Switch being there all on the Cloud.
Nintendo and Microsoft do appear to be increasingly “tight” with each other, and since Microsoft is investing heavily into Gamepass and xCloud, it’s not beyond the realm of possibility that they’d simply make the Switch a compatible device. It’s not that different from a mobile phone when you think about it, and access to physical controls would make it an ideal candidate. I’m actually kind of surprised that nobody in the homebrew community made any attempts to port Xbox streaming onto the platform as of yet - PlayStation Remote Play works decent enough, I don’t see why Xbox wouldn’t.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto