Hardware Clock WatchDog Timeout (Potential hardware issue?)

Acetic Orcein

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello all :)

So thanks for your help in the other thread!

Unfortunately, I am experiencing an incredibly frustrating issue. I've assembled the computer and everything ran smoothly, up until I wanted to install an OS. I have a legit copy of Windows 8, and was planning on using this to install the OS on a SSD, followed by an upgrade to Windows 10.

The initial 'installation steps' i.e. the part where it tells you it is preparing the files for Windows was absolutely fine.

However, when Windows 8 finally loaded, the mouse and keyboard froze indefinitely during the 'personalisation steps'. The OS also occasionally froze indefinitely before it loaded up this personalisation screen. After I finally made it through this screen, the OS will almost always hang within the first few minutes of either logging in or during the logging on process, requiring a reboot.

At one point, I was given a BSOD: Clock WatchDog Timeout.

Googling would indicate that this could be a CPU or a motherboard error, which would be very annoying if so...
In the BIOS screen, I've never had any crashes...

My computer doesn't run long enough to run a stress test, so I'm really not sure what I can do?

I've attached my components below:

Intel Core i5-4690K
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-GAMING 5
EVGA GeForce GTX 960
Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit
Western Digital 1TB Drive (Black)
SanDisk Extreme PRO 240GB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5-Inch 7mm Height Solid State
EVGA SuperNOVA 650

Acetic Orcein

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Take the RAM out and plug it in again and try it again.

I will give this a shot!
*fingers crossed*

EDIT:

Gave it a shot and sadly the computer still froze :(

However!!!
I managed to find an old copy of Windows 7 and so far.... everything seems to be in order.

We shall see...

Last edited by Acetic Orcein,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol