• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Civil war breaks out in Russia amid reports 25K Wagner mercenaries en route to Moscow

• Thread starter Xzi
  • Start date
  • Views 4,176
  • Replies 74
  • Likes 3

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The world is honestly probably better off that Yevgeny Prigozhin didn't coup Putin and take over Russia. Putin is most likely a moderate compared to Yevgeny Prigozhin. Yevgeny Prigozhin is bad shit crazy enough to start flinging nukes at Ukraine, and countries supporting Ukraine.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Tell everybody you don't understand the Art of War without telling everybody you don't understand the Art of War.
Art of war according to TraitorPat: bomb your own soldiers, cause a coup, institute a draft to replace poorly-trained mercenaries with poorly-trained prisoners, profit.

stanna

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Even though Ukraine is being forced to fight a proxy war for the West, I can't see Russia losing, I just don't want ww3.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Even though Ukraine is being forced to fight a proxy war for the West, I can't see Russia losing, I just don't want ww3.
Even the blind can see Russia's inevitable loss coming. For that matter, they already lost when the invasion wasn't successful in under a week's time. Now we're weeks away from Ukrainian fighter pilots flying F-16s instead, and Russia has absolutely nothing capable of dealing with those.

Valwinz

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Russia drops charges against Wagner chief Yevgeny Prigozhin and his group for armed mutiny.

So Wagner are now 100km from kiev. mmmmmmmmmmm

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Kind of strange: I was at a wedding saturday, and all day it seemed like the war'd be over in a matter of hours.
Then I got back home and it somehow all ended because...Prigozhin U-turned on his U-turn? :unsure:

So...how did it end? From what I can tell Prigozhin is now in Belarus following the negotiation of Lukashenko. And...so is his whole Wagner crew, apparently (source). But...now what? Is Putin/Russia just going to stop paying them so they'll stop fighting?

And if so...who does Russia's fighting in Ukraine, then? I'm not claiming Wagner were the only ones, but they certainly were the most prominent group there (and most trained once to at least some sources).
I mean...it's good news for Ukraine, obviously. But to what degree? They haven't driven the Russians out of Ukraine and/or Crimea, right? :unsure:

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So...how did it end? From what I can tell Prigozhin is now in Belarus following the negotiation of Lukashenko. And...so is his whole Wagner crew, apparently (source). But...now what? Is Putin/Russia just going to stop paying them so they'll stop fighting?
Wagner troops are being offered contracts to join the "main" Russian army, but I think there's a sense that you'd be a fool to accept one at this point. Russia will be losing out on at least half the manpower Wagner was providing either way.

I mean...it's good news for Ukraine, obviously. But to what degree? They haven't driven the Russians out of Ukraine and/or Crimea, right? :unsure:
Not entirely, but Ukraine did manage to retake certain towns and positions Russia had held since 2014 while they were distracted. The only way the timing could've been better is if Ukrainian pilots had already completed their training on F-16s, at which point they might've retaken the entire country. We're only maybe a month out from that training being complete, though.

Reactions: Taleweaver

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh. Looks like a staged event.

Furthermore, Mr. Zelensky says no elections until the war is over? Hmm, very convenient, eh. lol

I'm just tired of this "choose your team!" (and that team has to be Ukraine or else people are labeled Russian bots, anti-democracy, etc)... Sigh.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Meh. Looks like a staged event.
Does it? Staged by whom? Putin's not one to take these kinds of actions lightly, he's not gaining any advantage (by far the opposite) , and Prigozhin at least has a dozen lees dangerous ways to quit his job.
Furthermore, Mr. Zelensky says no elections until the war is over? Hmm, very convenient, eh. lol
Yeah, they were not hosting the Eurovision either. It's just too dangerous. I don't know who the opposition is (i net you don't either), but I'm sure they're very ouch in agreement.

I'm just tired of this "choose your team!" (and that team has to be Ukraine or else people are labeled Russian bots, anti-democracy, etc)... Sigh.

... Yet you bring it up where nobody else acuses anyone of anything.

It's not that we're not open to pro Russian posts... It's that there's no proper way to defend the action, and as such the Russian sides default to sowing discontempt.
Like you do, to be honest. So no... You're not labeled a bot or anti democratic (heck... I'm being anti democratic by agreeing that elections shouldn't happen in Ukraine right now) because of your side, but because your convincing skills are nowhere.

Last edited by Taleweaver,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1