Dragon Trainer
Developer
Trophies
Website
hydr8gon.github.io
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I got Cubic Ninja and had more luck with it than Ocarina of Time. I don't think it's my OoT dump, as obviously my Cubic Ninja dump works. I tried making another dump of OoT just to be sure, but same result. Anyways, along with the new SaveData stuff, I got Cubic Ninja past the saving screen and to the loading screen! After that it just goes black. I'm pretty happy with the development of this emulator. I was actually trying to implement some instructions today, but I need to learn more, and a lot of the instruction descriptions on 3dbrew I found were very vague. Oh well, hopefully someday I'll learn :P

Ugf5xHl.png

Reactions: Twee

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Well, I got Cubic Ninja and had more luck with it than Ocarina of Time. I don't think it's my OoT dump, as obviously my Cubic Ninja dump works. I tried making another dump of OoT just to be sure, but same result. Anyways, along with the new SaveData stuff, I got Cubic Ninja past the saving screen and to the loading screen! After that it just goes black. I'm pretty happy with the development of this emulator. I was actually trying to implement some instructions today, but I need to learn more, and a lot of the instruction descriptions on 3dbrew I found were very vague. Oh well, hopefully someday I'll learn :P

Works better in 3dmoo ;)

D0WE6Uk.gif

tortoise

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks to the help I got on IRC, I could succesfully setup and run Citra on my Windows 7 pc.
Cyan: I tried the same executable on my Windows XP (sp3) partition, but unfortunately I can confirm the 'not a valid win32 application' error. I even tried installing Visual Studio 2013 on the XP partition, but it refuses to install, because it requires a newer operating system.
piratesephiroth: I understand that the building process is quite complex (I had problems myself), but please don't disregard Citra as a 'trainwreck': it's a complex (and quite fascinating) work of software engineering, of which we have been given the opportunity of seeing all the components and the source code. What we do with it is up to us.

neobrain

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Today, I had quite the heated discussion about whether asking for donations is morally defensible or not. Hence, I would like to repeat that no one of us is seeking to make any money for the personal pocket here. It is our very honest opinion that this is in no way morally wrong.

We hope that people will understand (among other points) that RE-friendly 3DS consoles are hard to get by today already, and yet they are important sources of information for emulator development. We would hence like to save the team a number of these consoles as soon as possible, for now and for the future. But apparently some people seem to think that we should spend 1000€ or more out of our own pocket for this purpose, even though we already devote a large part of our personal time to Citra.

We hope the community sees this differently, and keeps supporting us. Thanks again for those who already support us (RichardLaughter_, SomecallmeBerto, and any others, who remained anonymous: You're awesome!).

Meanwhile, a different way to help us out is via direct donation of a 3DS console with a 4.5 firmware (or lower). If you have a spare one of these that you'd be willing to give away to help us, don't hesitate to contact me via PM!

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Today, I had quite the heated discussion about whether asking for donations is morally defensible or not. Hence, I would like to repeat that no one of us is seeking to make any money for the personal pocket here. It is our very honest opinion that this is in no way morally wrong.

We hope that people will understand (among other points) that RE-friendly 3DS consoles are hard to get by today already, and yet they are important sources of information for emulator development. We would hence like to save the team a number of these consoles as soon as possible, for now and for the future. But apparently some people seem to think that we should spend 1000€ or more out of our own pocket for this purpose, even though we already devote a large part of our personal time to Citra.

We hope the community sees this differently, and keeps supporting us. Thanks again for those who already support us (RichardLaughter_, SomecallmeBerto, and any others, who remained anonymous: You're awesome!).

Meanwhile, a different way to help us out is via direct donation of a 3DS console with a 4.5 firmware (or lower). If you have a spare one of these that you'd be willing to give away to help us, don't hesitate to contact me via PM!

Meh just wait until gateways new update and any 3ds/new3ds will be RE-friendly assuming its not running 9.3 and above (which no brand new 3ds would).

Red9419

Trophies
XP
Country
Im sorry for being suck a noob at this, but im new at doing this kind of stuff. I tried to follow the compiling on git hub wiki but i don't understand*I dont ever know what a command line is* Im sorry can someone help me?

bunnei

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Toad King

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any particular concerns you are having here?

Fwiw, I don't think we'll be having the donation tracker open indefinitely - especially since there are only few items on the list which actually need money in the long run. Eventually the project should be self-sustainable via website ads anyway. That's how Dolphin has been doing things for the past year and so far there haven't really been any problems with that.
I have issues with even Dolphin's donations. Basically it boils down to this:

* Biggest issue: Users have no guarantee that the money will be used the way you say it is. It is very easy for the guy running the donations to just scrape some/all of it for whatever they want or something like the 3ds decap fiasco to happen again.
* Mixing money with emulators is very shady in my opinion. You can say whatever you want, but 99% of your users will be using it for piracy and you are making money off of it. (Obviously not at the moment for Citra, but as soon as commercial games become playable they will become the majority of the use cases.) Note that this isn't so much a legal issue but a moral one.
* It can create weird scenarios for the project. Who decides what to buy with the money? Who gets the purchased resources? What happens if you get more money that you need? Or not enough to buy the one piece of hardware you need? With a big distributed project with many contributors these can become issues.
* Paying people for what is essentially their hobbyist project is silly in my opinion. I sometimes do console homebrew stuff, and I buy all the games/hardware I need myself, because it's my hobby. I have a job that pays for it and I don't expect other people to pay for it.

Again these are just my opinions.

Reactions: Celice and futaris

neobrain

-
Trophies
XP
Country
I have issues with even Dolphin's donations. Basically it boils down to this:

* Biggest issue: Users have no guarantee that the money will be used the way you say it is. It is very easy for the guy running the donations to just scrape some/all of it for whatever they want or something like the 3ds decap fiasco to happen again.
* Mixing money with emulators is very shady in my opinion. You can say whatever you want, but 99% of your users will be using it for piracy and you are making money off of it. (Obviously not at the moment for Citra, but as soon as commercial games become playable they will become the majority of the use cases.) Note that this isn't so much a legal issue but a moral one.
* It can create weird scenarios for the project. Who decides what to buy with the money? Who gets the purchased resources? What happens if you get more money that you need? Or not enough to buy the one piece of hardware you need? With a big distributed project with many contributors these can become issues.
* Paying people for what is essentially their hobbyist project is silly in my opinion. I sometimes do console homebrew stuff, and I buy all the games/hardware I need myself, because it's my hobby. I have a job that pays for it and I don't expect other people to pay for it.

Again these are just my opinions.

Hi,

Thanks for explaining your concerns in such an elaborated way. Now, most of these really are a matter of trust, and I don't think I can really convince you of an opposite view with a plain answer on gbatemp. Regardless, I would like to give an answer for the public to make an opinion of themselves:

* Indeed, users have no guarantee whatsoever that we will spend their donations on what we say. However, I think we have delivered more than enough evidence so far that we *are* making progress on our emulator. Additionally, the reasoning about 4.5 3DS consoles seems more than justifying for this whole thread. I also would like to mention that there's no comparison to the 3DS decap fiasco, because in this case the paypal account is actually owned by the Citra developers themselves. Also mind you, without bragging I should point out that I'm well-known for my work on Dolphin's GPU emulation core, so if anything that should give you a hint as to how trustworthy I am (and how trustworthy the people *I* trust are). Either way, indeed people have to put trust into us in advance, and other than what we already delivered we cannot give any further guarantees. As explained below, I very much encourage critical thinking, so you probably should do some research of your own before donating if you really want to know whether this thread is legit or not.
* In my opinion, there's still a huge difference in "making money off emulators" and "funding emulators". We don't seek to make any money for our own pocket, so all donations will go towards the things explained in the post above. Now if we for a minute assume that even you (ToadKing) believe us in this regard, I don't see how this in any way is morally wrong. What's more, I fail to see how you would see *funding emulator development* to be worse than emulator development to begin with. If all that you see in this is that it enables piracy (which would be quite the limited view IMO, because emulation is about more than piracy), then your conclusion should be that either of these have the same net result. So how exactly is funding worse, if ultimately no developer makes any net profit?
* Please don't overestimate a) the amount of donations we're getting b) the time span that this donation tracker is supposed to run at. That said, Dolphin's money pool seems to have done well in the past year. The key is proper communication with developers and transparency in general. If money is spent by general consensus rather than by some individual's decisions, there's little likelihood of conflicts. I think by explicitly saying that the majority will be spent towards 3DS consoles, we've made a very clear policy to begin with.
* Paying people for what's their hobbyist project indeed is arguably silly. However, making people pay for their hobbyist project is actually quite ridiculous. This is why we try to accumulate some homebrew development platforms (aka 4.5 3DSs): Be able to equip developers with the hardware they need to have in order to reverse-engineer the 3DS's inner workings. That way, people will still spend their free time on development without getting paid for it. But at least they won't have to also spend their own money on development, though. In this context also please consider that some of us are still visiting school/university and hence have no stable income to spend on these things. That said, I personally belong to this group, yet already invested more than 200€ simply for being able to work on Citra. I think this more than enough euros paid from my own pocket for now.

neobrain

-
Trophies
XP
Country
LOL No.

Unfortunately, how do you prove that you are who you say you are?

Clever boy. :teach:
It would be nice for a GBAtemp admin to check and vouch validity.

Is there any proof in particular you would like to see? Bunnei announced Citra on gbatemp to begin with and he confirmed my post. I also regulary(-ish) posted small reports on the progress in emulator development since the early beginnings. If you like, you can come to our IRC channel #citra on Freenode and ask us in person if the people on gbatemp are actually us.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: I don't think any gbatemp admin will be able to give you more evidence about the validity of this thread than what's already out there. Either way, if this is all that's stopping you from donating, feel free to forward any concerns to me via PM.

Now on the other hand, please don't derail this thread with groundless accusations, unless you actually find any reason to think this thread is not legit. That said, I encourage the critical thinking that you guys perform, but please try to check your facts before complaining.

neobrain

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Meh just wait until gateways new update and any 3ds/new3ds will be RE-friendly assuming its not running 9.3 and above (which no brand new 3ds would).
Probably true, but first off there has been no *actual* evidence so far that GW provides the same level of access that 4.5 3DSs do, and secondly buying a 3DS AND a Gateway is even more expensive than soley buying a 4.5 3DS. Additionally, it could be argued that by relying on Gateway flashcards this thread is ultimately supporting piracy, which is something that it definitely is not intended to do.

neobrain

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Im sorry for being suck a noob at this, but im new at doing this kind of stuff. I tried to follow the compiling on git hub wiki but i don't understand*I dont ever know what a command line is* Im sorry can someone help me?
Chances are if you don't know what a command line is, then Citra will be fairly useless to you. What exactly are you trying to achieve here?

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any proof in particular you would like to see? Bunnei announced Citra on gbatemp to begin with and he confirmed my post. I also regulary(-ish) posted small reports on the progress in emulator development since the early beginnings. If you like, you can come to our IRC channel #citra on Freenode and ask us in person if the people on gbatemp are actually us.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: I don't think any gbatemp admin will be able to give you more evidence about the validity of this thread than what's already out there. Either way, if this is all that's stopping you from donating, feel free to forward any concerns to me via PM.

Now on the other hand, please don't derail this thread with groundless accusations, unless you actually find any reason to think this thread is not legit. That said, I encourage the critical thinking that you guys perform, but please try to check your facts before complaining.
For example, reddit AMAs: generally an admin or a moderator will check the person out and validate their identity first, before allowing such a thing as requesting or mentioning donation for a personal project. Have you reached out to such a person for GBAtemp before making this thread?

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Hi,

Thanks for explaining your concerns in such an elaborated way. Now, most of these really are a matter of trust, and I don't think I can really convince you of an opposite view with a plain answer on gbatemp. Regardless, I would like to give an answer for the public to make an opinion of themselves:

* Indeed, users have no guarantee whatsoever that we will spend their donations on what we say. However, I think we have delivered more than enough evidence so far that we *are* making progress on our emulator. Additionally, the reasoning about 4.5 3DS consoles seems more than justifying for this whole thread. I also would like to mention that there's no comparison to the 3DS decap fiasco, because in this case the paypal account is actually owned by the Citra developers themselves. Also mind you, without bragging I should point out that I'm well-known for my work on Dolphin's GPU emulation core, so if anything that should give you a hint as to how trustworthy I am (and how trustworthy the people *I* trust are). Either way, indeed people have to put trust into us in advance, and other than what we already delivered we cannot give any further guarantees. As explained below, I very much encourage critical thinking, so you probably should do some research of your own before donating if you really want to know whether this thread is legit or not.
* In my opinion, there's still a huge difference in "making money off emulators" and "funding emulators". We don't seek to make any money for our own pocket, so all donations will go towards the things explained in the post above. Now if we for a minute assume that even you (ToadKing) believe us in this regard, I don't see how this in any way is morally wrong. What's more, I fail to see how you would see *funding emulator development* to be worse than emulator development to begin with. If all that you see in this is that it enables piracy (which would be quite the limited view IMO, because emulation is about more than piracy), then your conclusion should be that either of these have the same net result. So how exactly is funding worse, if ultimately no developer makes any net profit?

In my opinion, you should CLEARLY say how much you need and what it is going to be used for.
Putting a donation request without setting any DETAILLED goal or purpose (except a vague "it will be used to fund development and buy dev stuff") is asking for this kind of reaction.

* Please don't overestimate a) the amount of donations we're getting b) the time span that this donation tracker is supposed to run at. That said, Dolphin's money pool seems to have done well in the past year. The key is proper communication with developers and transparency in general. If money is spent by general consensus rather than by some individual's decisions, there's little likelihood of conflicts. I think by explicitly saying that the majority will be spent towards 3DS consoles, we've made a very clear policy to begin with.

Then again, you should have said clearly how much you need in the first place and say how much has been donated so far.
If your goal is indeed not to make money but only cover your expenses, you should be able to do this and this would certainly clear up any suspicions.

It's perfectly understandable that you do not want to pay yourself for stuff to develop a 3DS emulator but keep in mind nobody forced you or asked you to develop one in the first place.
People have been developing emulators for years without asking for anything because it was their hobby and they had no problem buying stuff for themselves because it was part of their hobby, just because modern emulator devs are trying to deal with this in a more "professional" way - or android/ios devs have turned emulation into a juicy business - is not really an excuse.
The thing is if you start asking money from people so you can do your hobby then it's not an hobby anymore but a job.
Off course, it's ok to put a donation link so that people could thank you for your work or encourage you (many emulators do that) but it's a very different thing to ASK for donations while suggesting you NEED it to be able to work on the emulator, because you know 3DS is very popular and lot of people dying to play 3DS roms are going to send money with hope it will make it happen faster.

RichardLaughter_

Trophies
XP
Still dont see the problem. If you want to donate, then donate, if not, then don't. plane and simple. It's not like asking for donations is a scam. People have the choice to donate. There is no product being bought, it's an idea being funded....*cough *cough, every kickstarter ever made.

neobrain

-
Trophies
XP
Country
In my opinion, you should CLEARLY say how much you need and what it is going to be used for.
Putting a donation request without setting any DETAILLED goal or purpose (except a vague "it will be used to fund development and buy dev stuff") is asking for this kind of reaction.

Then again, you should have said clearly how much you need in the first place and say how much has been donated so far.
If your goal is indeed not to make money but only cover your expenses, you should be able to do this and this would certainly clear up any suspicions.
I can understand that someone would want to have a more detailed list of expenses that we're trying to cover. However, ultimately we don't have any clear list for this: Few 3DS consoles have been bought so far (before creating this thread), and how many we are able to gather from donations depends on the total amount this ends up as. Also, if I had said something like "we would like to have 10 3DSs by March!" from the beginning, people would've complained about that too. Can't please everybody.
That said, if people feel uncomfortable donating towards an admittedly rather unspecific goal, I suggest them not to donate. Simple as that.

It's perfectly understandable that you do not want to pay yourself for stuff to develop a 3DS emulator but keep in mind nobody forced you or asked you to develop one in the first place.
People have been developing emulators for years without asking for anything because it was their hobby and they had no problem buying stuff for themselves because it was part of their hobby, just because modern emulator devs are trying to deal with this in a more "professional" way - or android/ios devs have turned emulation into a juicy business - is not really an excuse.
I don't think we can get anywhere with this discussion point, so let me be brief: Just because emulator developers didn't take the chance back in the days does in my view not mean that I shouldn't even try it. However, I agree that the Android/iOS situation is annoying, but also consider that to be unrelated.

[...] Off course, it's ok to put a donation link so that people could thank you for your work or encourage you (many emulators do that) but it's a very different thing to ASK for donations while suggesting you NEED it to be able to work on the emulator, because you know 3DS is very popular and lot of people dying to play 3DS roms are going to send money with hope it will make it happen faster.
I must admit that you have a point here. I slightly rephrased my post not say explicitly say "need" anymore. You will probably still be unhappy about it, but the simple fact is that these consoles really *do* help a lot. I either mention that or I get flamed for not explaining our motives properly. I chose to do the former.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Doubt we'll ever see a Switch 2 anytime soon.