Trophies
XP
Country

ody81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You don't need a valid key to bulid a HB CIA, cause the available ways to run CIAs spoof the part of the firmware that checks if the key is valid (both CFW and Gateway). Actual CIA of hb are signed with a dummy 0000...00 Key.

You only need the keyX to convert commercial 3DS rom to "unsigned" (or "badly signed") CIA.

IMHO the question could be that if you release HB in CIA format, you're supporting the use of tools (GW and CFW) that can run pirated sw.

As a personal choice, this will not make me do not release CIA hb, but other developer are free to think different.

Thankyou, that's as far as I understood the cia stuff.

ody81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
As said before, the whole piracy argument is just a small part why i don't publish a CIA file... yet... if/when its possible to run 3dsx homebrew on gateway so will DownloadMii actually be useful for the non Ninjhax gw users but as gw cannot yet run 3dsx files so is it indeed quite pointless to publish dmii as a cia file. :)

Thanks for the input. I get piracy is a small part of the issue, that's why I asked.

But I totally understand installing or managing cia homebrew through something like downloadmii would be an utter nightmare without directing people to use the devmenu, which is as illegal as a commercial rom.

You probably feel a little singled out and I apologise, you were literally the last dev I saw mentioning piracy, you're active in the community, so you were the quickest person to ask about your thoughts on this. Thanks again for chiming in.

And yeah, Gateway having some sort of 3dsx support would probably solve everything (sort of), But I wouldn't even know if that's even a possibility. You'd know more than me about that for sure.

Rinnegatamante

Trophies
Website
rinnegatamante.it
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks for the input. I get piracy is a small part of the issue, that's why I asked.

But I totally understand installing or managing cia homebrew through something like downloadmii would be an utter nightmare without directing people to use the devmenu, which is as illegal as a commercial rom.

You probably feel a little singled out and I apologise, you were literally the last dev I saw mentioning piracy, you're active in the community, so you were the quickest person to ask about your thoughts on this. Thanks again for chiming in.

And yeah, Gateway having some sort of 3dsx support would probably solve everything (sort of), But I wouldn't even know if that's even a possibility. You'd know more than me about that for sure.

I'll release a CIA manager which works with libctru sooner so devmenu will be replaceable with something legal.

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is it possible to make a CIA for the Homebrew Launcher?
This way I wouldn't need to use Ninjhax to run .3dsx homebrew...

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
Is it possible to make a CIA for the Homebrew Launcher?
This way I wouldn't need to use Ninjhax to run .3dsx homebrew...
Kind of. You can build one, and it'll install, but will freeze if you try to run anything, because it calls a custom service that gets created through ninjhax.

ody81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll release a CIA manager which works with libctru sooner so devmenu will be replaceable with something legal.

Is that possible?
That'd be an ideal solution that (should) please everybody from every point of view.

I regretted making this thread the instant I did, but it's turned out to be not a bad discussion.
And Pong works great, I somehow missed that being released.

Rinnegatamante

Trophies
Website
rinnegatamante.it
XP
Country
Italy
Is that possible?
That'd be an ideal solution that (should) please everybody from every point of view.

I regretted making this thread the instant I did, but it's turned out to be not a bad discussion.
And Pong works great, I somehow missed that being released.

:P

I also done the listing stuffs. Now i'm currently writing LUA code and making a good banner and icon.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Ninjhax's user base is only destined to shrink as time passes on. 9.2 will become very dated a year from now when the 3DS might advance to 10.0 fw. Only those who can afford to own more then one 3DS console at a time would ever consider using Ninjhax exclusive homebrew. And these are just the folks who refuse to use a Gateway.

A majority of those who do own Gateway will have updated their emunand to 9.4 and so on to retain compatibility with new games and eShop related content. Sure Gateway enables piracy, but the end user has to choose to download the roms and other content to use it with. Same goes for homebrew.

Hopefully the shrinking user base for Ninjhax will drive more developers to abandon it. Either that or someone rebuilds it as something that can run with Gateway on 9.4+ emunand or finds a new exploit in newer firmware to continue using it. BUT now that Smealum has found a way to get around region locks with 9.4 fw, this will give Nintendo more of an incentive to patch the entry point. They patched one of the later stages since they knew it would lead to a kernel exploit (as evidence of the fact that Gateway found a kernel exploit with Gateway Ultra 3.0).

If Ninjhax is ever revived to work on 9.4+ FW I would consider using it. But as soon as it gets blocked in a FW update, I'll leave it behind. There's just not enough going on with it for me to justify losing access to eShop/DLC.

Reactions: Ericss

Rinnegatamante

Trophies
Website
rinnegatamante.it
XP
Country
Italy
Bullshit!

That's fucking awesome, so you installed Blargsnes without requiring Devmenu at all?

You win, you have my undying respect dude. Unreal.

Probably it not looks good as BigBlueMenu (i'm talking about skin) but it works fine:
CIAS.png

I have just to fix some things before releasing it.

Reactions: Margen67 and Vappy

ody81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Probably it not looks good as BigBlueMenu (i'm talking about skin) but it works fine:
CIAS.png

I have just to fix some things before releasing it.

I wouldn't worry to much, Devmenu isn't exactly the shiniest looking pebble on the beach.

Tools can be ugly as fuck as long as they work :)
Sorry if I came across as an asshole too, it's funny what two painkillers and sleep can do do improve a persons mood :O

@apachethunder

That pretty much sums it up, the moment Ninjhax got patched out it was doomed. I assumed people would stop developing/building for it.
But they didn't, made me wonder why, as you said, it's shrunk and it's gonna keep shrinking.
Like a guy in a pool.
In winter.
In Greenland.

I forgot all about Gateway userbase recently expanding too.
But I'm not gonna make a euphemism for that.

Does seem like a shame to abandon something that was worked on so hard for so long though too.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
People can still use ninjhax on their sysnand

The reason people use emunand is to avoid update nags. I don't see that happening. I personally wouldn't. Plus it can be cumbersome to boot Gateway without emunand as you have to use a second SD card to do so. When Gateway releases support for the n3DS, it will become even more cumbersome as you need a screwdriver to access the MicroSD slot in those consoles. Gateway owners will not out and buy the Cubic Ninja game. At least not right now with the artificially inflated prices they are currently running at.

Reactions: Margen67

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Sigh