Homebrew .CIA=PIRACY?

ody81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
if it was compiled to just boot straight to the homebrew menu it wouldnt be so slow, most of the time is spent navigating the cubic ninja menu's and watching intro's

i have no problem with .3dsx, although i would like for a .3dsx launcher to be available directly from the home menu, at least that way its a uniform format, cubic ninja users can use ninjhax, and gateway users could simply access the homebrew launcher directly from the menu even on 9.5 and then there is no fragmentation of users, i wonder if the gateway team could implement the hb service directly into the gateway fw so it would be independent of any additional exploits and then homebrew could be used directly

Same here, I don't care what format the homebrew is, .cia or .3dsx, but .3dsx just seems a little pointless because of the prerequisites needed to run it. And the few people that meet them legally, kinda defeats the purpose of Ninjhax in the first place if the majority of people running it do it through a pirate Cubic rom lol.

Your solution's probably the best one, hb launcher that installs from a .cia for the homescreen without the need for 9.2 and ninjhax.
Unless GW pull some magic coding out of their asses that is and somehow add 100% homebrew compatibility to the feature list :\

Reactions: Margen67

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Even though I can run Cubic Ninja, I can't run .3dsx files. I know I've perfectly followed instructions, selected the right fw of my 9.2 emunand, etc. And yet the homebrew launcher always hangs at 70% for me, no matter how many times I reinstall the exploit. And I know that I'm not the only one who has this problem. Because of this, I find cringe worthy when devs choose to release their homebrew only in a format that can only be run via such a glitchy method, especially when it's used by so few people.
NINJHAX doesn't work with Gateway. It's as simple as that. You'd have to buy a legal copy to use the HB Launcher.

I wouldn't. That's the slowest and most annoying method of launching hb on 3DS.
NINJHAX is very good for HB devs. It's far more easier to compile homebrew for NINJHAX than for Gateway (CIA/3DS) and you don't even have to return to the main menu during developement. Simply start FTPony/FTBrony, transfer your compiled homebrew, return to the HB Launcher and launch the game.
And it's far more easier to launch homebrew through NINJHAX than through Gateway. With Gateway you have to enter the system settings/browser, navigate through the settings/ to the go site and wait for EmuNAND to be loaded. It's much easier/ faster to launch Cubic Ninja and go through the three menu steps.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
To answer the Title of this thread:
.CIA = Piracy? -> except for homebrew apps/games, most people use cia also for eshop games and retail games, so, Yes it is :P
The extension name itself is not, but distributing, downloading and installing cia's of eshop and retail games is illegal.

Ericss

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NINJHAX doesn't work with Gateway. It's as simple as that. You'd have to buy a legal copy to use the HB Launcher.
Are you positive? I've heard plenty of people claim that it works on GW if you're on 2.6 or lower.

And it's far more easier to launch homebrew through NINJHAX than through Gateway. With Gateway you have to enter the system settings/browser, navigate through the settings/ to the go site and wait for EmuNAND to be loaded. It's much easier/ faster to launch Cubic Ninja and go through the three menu steps.
Hardly. If you're using GW, chances are you'll already be in GW mode by the time you want to use hb, as most GW users do everything in emuNAND. I know that I only use hb in between games, and I only play games in GW mode. And even if that wasn't the case, switching to emuNAND is faster than loading CN, sitting through the intros, and navigating the the QR code option, not to mention it doesn't have to be done every single time you want to launch homebrew.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
it sucks because CIA increases the capability of homebrew...for example BlargSNES CIA is the only version that has sound?

isn't there a legal CIA BigRedMenu out there?
Everything the average homebrew needs is included into the Homebrew Launcher by smea.
There is a legal CIA installer but it's only avaible as *.cia as *.3ds for homebrew doesn't allow CIA installation. As that it's mostly useless because you need devmenu to install the CIA installer.

/edit
Are you positive? I've heard plenty of people claim that it works on GW if you're on 2.6 or lower.
The version 1.0 worked with GW but the 1.1b doesn't. I'm 95% sure.

Rinnegatamante

Trophies
Website
rinnegatamante.it
XP
Country
Italy
Everything the average homebrew needs is included into the Homebrew Launcher by smea.
There is a legal CIA installer but it's only avaible as *.cia as *.3ds for homebrew doesn't allow CIA installation. As that it's mostly useless because you need devmenu to install the CIA installer.

/edit

The version 1.0 worked with GW but the 1.1b doesn't. I'm 95% sure.

Big Red Menu is installable through installcia without the use of devMenu/BigBlueMenu.

Reactions: Margen67 and ody81

YoshiInAVoid

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
Here's my take on it.

I see no legal problem with distributing my homebrews in CIA format because:

- Homebrew CIAs are legal since they don't need to use the official keys for signing,
- Homebrew CIAs can be installed legally with Big Red Menu,

If you are able to launch them, they are actually preferable because:

- Homebrew CIAs like BlargSNES have access to proper sound,
- Homebrew CIAs sit nicely on the home menu without having to launch Cubic Ninja,

For tools which require kernel access, such as CTR Multi Decryptor, the only format available is ".dat" ROP chain; however, for all usermode homebrews, there is no reason not to support all of the following formats:

- 3ds,
- 3dsx,
- cia,
- elf,

By doing so, you make your homebrews much more convenient and accessible to the scene. Users won't have to convert them themselves, or download an outdated build which has been converted by someone else; you have full release control.

The elf format is also great because it can be used to easily convert to all of the other formats, making your homebrews as future-proof as possible.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Here's my take on it.

I see no legal problem with distributing my homebrews in CIA format because:

- Homebrew CIAs are legal since they don't need to use the official keys for signing,
- Homebrew CIAs can be installed legally with Big Red Menu,

If you are able to launch them, they are actually preferable because:

- Homebrew CIAs like BlargSNES have access to proper sound,
- Homebrew CIAs sit nicely on the home menu without having to launch Cubic Ninja,

For tools which require kernel access, such as CTR Multi Decryptor, the only format available is ".dat" ROP chain; however, for all usermode homebrews, there is no reason not to support all of the following formats:

- 3ds,
- 3dsx,
- cia,
- elf,

By doing so, you make your homebrews much more convenient and accessible to the scene. Users won't have to convert them themselves, or download an outdated build which has been converted by someone else; you have full release control.

The elf format is also great because it can be used to easily convert to all of the other formats, making your homebrews as future-proof as possible.
But the Devs have to fidle alround with makerom etc. That's not as easy as to simple compile/ make the application and directly have the *.3DSX.

ody81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You know what all this cia == piracy nonsense reminds me of?
This is a repeat of wad == piracy on the Wii scene.
For those who don't know about the Wii scene (see my custom title :P) .wad files were basically the .cias of the Wii- they were installed to the Wii Menu instead of being run through a launcher. But since WAD files were installed using a method that was linked to piracy in many people's minds, even though it wasn't really piracy (cIOS), many people (especially over on Wiibrew) avoided wads for this reason.

I know right!
I STILL see people in random threads telling people that .cia homebrews are illegal because you need to use 7.x keys to sign them!

What the fuck?
And that's the attitude that gets spread around. Misinformation from the misinformed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: hello everyone