Homebrew .CIA=PIRACY?

blinkzane

Panic at your moms house
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've gotten I little more curious about the 3ds homebrew scene(?) of late. More specifically the stance on piracy I guess.

My boggle is thus...

There are devs not making .cia versions of their homebrew (fantastic brews btw) citing that they don't support piracy.

DownloadMii was the last one I looked at whose Dev said he wouldn't be bothered making a .cia version if possible because he didn't agree with piracy.

Smealum used the Gateway exploit today for a region free patch for 9.4, but he used it without their permission, and didn't link to the exploit (as a common courtesy) in his Github citing piracy as the reason.

Why are (some) 3ds devs so worried about what I do with my 3ds outside of homebrew?

Not having DownloadMii is one thing, that's fine. But reading that if possible, it still won't happen because the dev doesn't like piracy seems like a gross generalization of Gateway owners.

Personally, it's my business what I do with my 3ds and nobody else's, but I do enjoy the (few) homebrews I can install as .cias on my homescreen where they belong.
Blargsnes is amazing, and it's become a main feature of my 3ds, perhaps one that it should have come with :)
I love to use homebrew's more in this way without using the copy of Cubic Ninja I was required to pirate to run them.

Can't we have a .3dsx/.cia dual standard?

And maybe even a 'don't ask, don't tell' unwritten rule regarding views on piracy? (devs and end-users included).
Not all Gateway/CFW users are pirates, some of just love the brews. Throw us a bone.

ps. I didn't mean to single out the DownloadMii dev, he just happened to be the last dev I read that said this.

the thing is, are you the one making the homebrew? no. then dont complain because the people that YOU aren't paying are making something the way THEY want it.

ody81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, also it doesn't allow you to use the home button which is weird to me. This might be an older version (before dynrec) and might work as cia because of that?
How long have you had the cia?

Hmmm, cock up. Getting 2 build errors.
I'll try and sort this out unless someone (hopefully) beats me to it.

ody81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
the thing is, are you the one making the homebrew? no. then dont complain because the people that YOU aren't paying are making something the way THEY want it.

I was asking active devs, not you, so don't get testy.
And I got my responses and they were a lot more constructive than yours.

blinkzane

Panic at your moms house
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was asking active devs, not you, so don't get testy.
And I got my responses and they were a lot more constructive than yours.

Yeah I kinda posted without reading because it bothered me. I do a lot of testing and I never complain so it's just habit to be that way, and it was really just the way that you worded things. after reading through the comments I can see that you were looking for more information but just sounded arrogant at first. sorry!

ody81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah I kinda posted without reading because it bothered me. I do a lot of testing and I never complain so it's just habit to be that way, and it was really just the way that you worded things. after reading through the comments I can see that you were looking for more information but just sounded arrogant at first. sorry!

All good, I do sound arrogant, I'll give you that!

Reactions: blinkzane

NCDyson

Hello Boys...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It should be possible, but who's going to do it (I would like a mod of the homebrew launcher so you boot the homebrew launcher as a cia and that allows you to boot 3dsx files probably best way as the homebrew launcher looks nice!)

That's kinda exactly what I was talking about, except it's not a homebrew launcher mod, but a .cia file that launches any .3dsx file you tell it to, including the homebrew launcher.

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
That's kinda exactly what I was talking about, except it's not a homebrew launcher mod, but a .cia file that launches any .3dsx file you tell it to, including the homebrew launcher.

Yeah but I would like that launcher to be the homebrew launcher but modded so it launches .3dsx without having to use a ugly launcher to boot the homebrew launcher first.

Reactions: Margen67

ody81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

Would the .3dsx function the same as running it through Ninjhax in theory?

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands

Ericss

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even though I can run Cubic Ninja, I can't run .3dsx files. I know I've perfectly followed instructions, selected the right fw of my 9.2 emunand, etc. And yet the homebrew launcher always hangs at 70% for me, no matter how many times I reinstall the exploit. And I know that I'm not the only one who has this problem. Because of this, I find cringe worthy when devs choose to release their homebrew only in a format that can only be run via such a glitchy method, especially when it's used by so few people.

I'd rather have a homebrew channel launched by an exploit.
Less messing around with the NAND.
I wouldn't. That's the slowest and most annoying method of launching hb on 3DS.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Even though I can run Cubic Ninja, I can't run .3dsx files. I know I've perfectly followed instructions, selected the right fw of my 9.2 emunand, etc. And yet the homebrew launcher always hangs at 70% for me, no matter how many times I reinstall the exploit. And I know that I'm not the only one who has this problem. Because of this, I find cringe worthy when devs choose to release their homebrew only in a format that can only be run via such a glitchy method, especially when it's used by so few people.

I wouldn't. That's the slowest and most annoying method of launching hb on 3DS.
if it was compiled to just boot straight to the homebrew menu it wouldnt be so slow, most of the time is spent navigating the cubic ninja menu's and watching intro's

i have no problem with .3dsx, although i would like for a .3dsx launcher to be available directly from the home menu, at least that way its a uniform format, cubic ninja users can use ninjhax, and gateway users could simply access the homebrew launcher directly from the menu even on 9.5 and then there is no fragmentation of users, i wonder if the gateway team could implement the hb service directly into the gateway fw so it would be independent of any additional exploits and then homebrew could be used directly

Reactions: Margen67

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: 4.90 ? 4.90.1?