Hardware Chargers madness!!

Sliter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Long History: Time ago I had a problem with my buddy's DS and now since it's fixed is time to give him again the joy of playing is pokemans and I forcing him to others games/cough/
But yeah I need a new charger to give him fast as possible and paying less possible xD
Since the last problem was caused bu bad use of a way to charge it,I was trying to understand better why it was caused and how to avoid
The problem was caused by a generic cellphone USB charged and a USB mini just plugged on the ds charger plug and ir worked... until it burned the fuses lol someone told me that the DS charger was 3v, and cellphones was 5v , so this is why stuff happened like this

My plan was to give him my original charger, since I have one form gamestop that came with my new3DS(I bought used from someone that got it in USA), it's usb and have a 2 way wire, 3DS(family) and DSlite(DSi and stuff?) to usb, I never really used it on any, because I was without a DSlite and I still had my retail charger from my dead old3DS

TLDR:
My friend got his DSl damaged by wrong charger usage, I'm worried that my Game Stops charger can damage a DSlite or a (new)3DS because the output is too different from their respective retail chargers as you ca see below:

DSlite charger:
upload_2017-11-21_13-39-29.png
5.2V... wasn't it 3v? and 450mA
It's say that it's

So maybe a high Amperage that burned it, not the voltage?

GameStop's Charger:
upload_2017-11-21_13-39-0.png

also 5V but 1.0A??
What about my retail 3DS'?
upload_2017-11-21_13-40-33.png
4.6V 900mA

listing:
DSl: 5.2V 450mA
3DS:4.6V 900mA
GS :5v 1.0A
the difference isn't that big, but mean that it could kill the DSl again? for the 3DS the difference isn't big, but for the DSl is ... so don't seems safe to give him it, or even use it myself? o_o

I have here my old nokia Asha charger that is 5V and 450mA, so if I modded it to a usb mini(or actual DS charger slot usb thing), it would be fine to charge the DSlite? (I noticed that it not, I was going to do it and tested, it gave 7V o_o idk I'm all lost here now but no adaptations XD)

Edit: I already gave him the DS charger just to be sure, but I'm worried if this Gamestop charger may burn my DSlite if used

Last edited by Sliter,

Sliter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The more mAh the charger puts out, the faster your battery will be charged.
It's the voltage you should worry about.
but maybe some can't handle high voltages? so how did it happed to burn the fuses that time if probably was caused by the charger? (maybe defective charger?)

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
but maybe some can't handle high voltages? so how did it happed to burn the fuses that time if probably was caused by the charger? (maybe defective charger?)

Likely a defective charger.
Ofcourse, pumping 10 amps through a small circuit is never a good idea but a 5v 2Ah charger charges a 3DS/DSi without any difficulty.
If the charger outputs a higher voltage then the circuit is designed for then yeh, it will short out.

Reactions: Sliter

Sliter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I also have one like that from Gamestop. It works for me.
both 3DS and DSlite? or only 3Ds? xD
Likely a defective charger.
Ofcourse, pumping 10 amps through a small circuit is never a good idea but a 5v 2Ah charger charges a 3DS/DSi without any difficulty.
If the charger outputs a higher voltage then the circuit is designed for then yeh, it will short out.

so let's stay with the limit of the original XD I'm a bit worried about using the gamestop on the DSlite, then I think I'm going to mod the old Nokia charger for his DS and keep the original for me (since my fear is him breaking the flipflop plug lol)

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If you fear about breaking it, why not source eBay for a original replacement?
Or Craigslist or w/e you got there across the pond.

Then you're ensured of it not failing.

Sliter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If you fear about breaking it, why not source eBay for a original replacement?
Or Craigslist or w/e you got there across the pond.

Then you're ensured of it not failing.
I mean , breaking the original or gamestop one, because he is a not so carefull kid hahah
Also importing here is a bit expensive :T must be more than the charger itself hahah maybe an eur plug could be better (it's usable here easier than US plug today btw xD) but since I want to give it him fast without big risks...

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I mean , breaking the original or gamestop one, because he is a not so carefull kid hahah
Also importing here is a bit expensive :T must be more than the charger itself hahah maybe an eur plug could be better (it's usable here easier than US plug today btw xD) but since I want to give it him fast without big risks...

Idk what the output is of the Nokia but if it's the same voltage as the original NDS charger then yeh, you could splice the ends together.
I advice against it tho (usually breaks more then what it's worth) but eh, it's not me charger nor me NDS ;p

Sliter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Idk what the output is of the Nokia but if it's the same voltage as the original NDS charger then yeh, you could splice the ends together.
I advice against it tho (usually breaks more then what it's worth) but eh, it's not me charger nor me NDS ;p

I have here my old nokia Asha charger that is 5V and 450mA,
it's almost the same of the DSl retail charger so I think it's gonna be allright, I just want to confirm :v hahaha

and I would make a niece cable, not just put the cables inside the console hahaha

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Almost the same isn't the same.
If the voltage differs, you'll create a problem.
To low amperage, you won't charge it.

Mind posting the output of both chargers?

remlei

Trophies
XP
Country
3DS operating voltage when charging is 5volts. And in electronics world, there's a +/-10% offset for operating voltage, so its either uto 5.5volts or as low as 4.5 volts. it doesnt matter, it will charge as long as it has enough amperage.

Reactions: Sliter

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o