Hardware Looking for 3DS/2DS/DSi charger

SaddQ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I live in Thailand, where we use either type A (US) or B (Euro) plugs for charging. The voltage is 220V.
I have several 3DS/2DS/DSi systems, of various regions, but only two chargers: a type B European 220V charger, which came with my DSi XL, and a type A US 110V one, which came with my New 2DS XL.

Currently, I am still using my DSi XL charger, but it's showing signs of wear after years of use. My US charger cannot be used without a step-down power converter, so I haven't touched it yet.

What would you suggest I do? Buy a - bulky and expensive - power converter, or a different option? I'd prefer an original (and new) 220V adapter, as I'm scared of frying my consoles, but let me know any other options I have, like a USB charger.

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
There's plenty of USB cables on AliExpress and the like and those work fine. USB's voltage is slightly different than the charger, but I guess it's close enough since I've never heard of a console being damaged by being charged by USB chargers.

Probably best to use it with lower amerage chargers (500~1000mA), but I'm not certain how much that affects anything.

Reactions: CoolMe

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Probably best to use it with lower amerage chargers (500~1000mA), but I'm not certain how much that affects anything.
What makes you think that?
The charging IC will draw as much current as it needs at the given status of the battery with a defined maximum.

USB specifications from the depths of my wrecked brain 5.00V +0.25V/-0.6V
→ Theoretically USB can go over 5V, but I've yet to see anything that actually does it. Dedicated charger, USB port on PC, power bank, they all dropped below 5V when connecting a moderate load.

While I'm super-paranoid with my DS consoles (and don't connect them to USB for that reason), it is highly unlikely that USB damages anything. I wouldn't be too surprised if Nintendo internally made sure the DS will accept USB. Despite proprietary connector and "use only specified charger", they must have known cheap USB adapters would show up. If the DS systems would fail on USB, they would have gotten bad press and tons of warranty claims (how should they proof it was the customer's fault – not worth the hassle and the bad press).

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
go with USB cables, your consoles will be just fine, they take less space and nowadays we have USB ports everywhere.

Don't worry about frying your devices, I'm using USB cables for my 3DS/DSi for ages now, no problems so far.

If you really have a reason for not using USB or unbranded chargers, go with European standard for 220v and use an universal adapter to fit on your wall outlet if needed.

You also have a optionto install a 110v wall plug in your house if your region uses a 220v biphasic circuit (you get on phase and one neutral instead of two phases), but this solution is kinda extreme I think.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Though i'd assume usb (cable) charging we'll be a bit slow than the OEM charger, specially if hooked to a computer instead of a charger with usb input (like a phone charger).

SaddQ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What about Korean chargers? I've just seen some photos and the chargers seem to have the European style plugs and use 220V outlets. Korea isn't far from Thailand and shipping not too expensive. Moreover, they are official Nintendo products.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about Korean chargers? I've just seen some photos and the chargers seem to have the European style plugs and use 220V outlets. Korea isn't far from Thailand and shipping not too expensive. Moreover, they are official Nintendo products.

If you can find official charger go for official charger.

Reactions: SaddQ

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
What makes you think that?
The charging IC will draw as much current as it needs at the given status of the battery with a defined maximum.

USB specifications from the depths of my wrecked brain 5.00V +0.25V/-0.6V
→ Theoretically USB can go over 5V, but I've yet to see anything that actually does it. Dedicated charger, USB port on PC, power bank, they all dropped below 5V when connecting a moderate load.

While I'm super-paranoid with my DS consoles (and don't connect them to USB for that reason), it is highly unlikely that USB damages anything. I wouldn't be too surprised if Nintendo internally made sure the DS will accept USB. Despite proprietary connector and "use only specified charger", they must have known cheap USB adapters would show up. If the DS systems would fail on USB, they would have gotten bad press and tons of warranty claims (how should they proof it was the customer's fault – not worth the hassle and the bad press).
Ah, makes sense I just don't know too much about how that all works. I expected it'd be fine, but better safe than sorry if you don't know. 😅

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So salty